How did you stop sabotaging yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Dont diet! Make a sustainable meal plan.

I personally eat IIFYM. So I have ice cream, steak, potatoes, salads, eggs, Whatever I want but it fits in my calories. I eat a higher amount. Setting to lose 2 pounds a week leads me to self sabotage and I start craving 1000 meals at restaurants. I set my goal to lose a pound per week, which means I eat 2400 calories a day and in 1 year I will lose approx 52 pounds.

You can do this. Your goal is to be healthier. Don't look at this as a temporary fix. You can't avoid certain food for the rest of your life

Thank you! Funny you should say that - I just switched my diary to losing 1 lb a week instead of 2, and it's giving me 1,850 calories a day. Definitely something i can work with. It makes me feel a little better and less anxious about being hungry.

I had a feeling you were self-sabotaging by trying to create too large a calorie deficit - glad to hear you are planning to moderate this time :)

What do you do about exercise and the calories you earn from that?
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I personally eat IIFYM. So I have ice cream, steak, potatoes, salads, eggs, Whatever I want but it fits in my calories. I eat a higher amount. Setting to lose 2 pounds a week leads me to self sabotage and I start craving 1000 meals at restaurants. I set my goal to lose a pound per week, which means I eat 2400 calories a day and in 1 year I will lose approx 52 pounds.

You can do this. Your goal is to be healthier. Don't look at this as a temporary fix. You can't avoid certain food for the rest of your life

Thank you! Funny you should say that - I just switched my diary to losing 1 lb a week instead of 2, and it's giving me 1,850 calories a day. Definitely something i can work with. It makes me feel a little better and less anxious about being hungry.

I had a feeling you were self-sabotaging by trying to create too large a calorie deficit - glad to hear you are planning to moderate this time :)

I have a treadmill at home, so I use that usually 5 days a week, and then I try to do strength training at least a couple days a week. I take it pretty easy with exercise, and mostly use it for health, not weight loss. I don't eat the exercise calories back.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I have a treadmill at home, so I use that usually 5 days a week, and then I try to do strength training at least a couple days a week. I take it pretty easy with exercise, and mostly use it for health, not weight loss. I don't eat the exercise calories back.

Staying active IMHO is half the battle! 🙌🏻
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    For me, what's helpful is to check in every day about the reasons I'm eating healthy. I work on being mindful of not only my choices, my exercise, but also simply the reasons I'm doing it. Every day. Mindfully.

Make a list of your reasons.
    Make a list of your successes - no matter how small
    Make a list of your discoveries

Go over it every day

• Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How did I stop sabotaging myself?
    In all aspects of my life - home life, looking after kids, Health and nutrition ect?
    I realised at 40 (yes it too a while)....that I AM IMPORTANT!!!! I come first. Through counseling and change of mindset, and with time. I come first. I deserve to to happy.
    Find out what’s important and set goals. Find out what I enjoy and do more of that (hiking). Find out what I hate and do none of it (pleasing others).

• kimka68
    kimka68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tracking calories is the ONLY thing that has worked for me and it completely changed my life. I started to lose weight with MFP in October 2017 (186 lbs) and now I am right around 150. The first few months was when I lost the majority of the weight and rest has been slooooooooooow. You just have to remember that slow progress is still progress. Also, eliminating your favorite foods entirely is a recipe for disaster. Everything is okay in moderation!
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    A combo of things:
    • Self loathing
    • Raw veganism
    • wanting to feel confident
    • Men...
    • motivation and inspiration from others
  • whatalazyidiot
    Options
    A combo of things:
    • Self loathing
    • Raw veganism
    • wanting to feel confident
    • Men...
    • motivation and inspiration from others

Lol sorry, the self loathing thing made me laugh.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I had to get really serious with myself and have a very stark conversation that was very honest. I truly don't believe "self sabotage" is a thing, but that could just be me being pedantic. I am an adult capable of making change and decisions, and I really have to constantly remind myself that I am the master of my body, not the other way around. But it's so very hard.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I didn't read through the thread carefully, so apologize if this has been mentioned (or maybe I am second-ing it ;) ). There is a book called The Beck Diet Solution. It's not a diet, but is a manual for cognitive behavioral therapy as it pertains to diet and weight loss- identifying negative thinking and sabotaging thoughts that lead to making poor choices and providing strategies to overcome them. Many have found it helpful.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've managed complex change for firms for the past decade and run into a similar situation outside of weight management, but believe this applies. Humans generally don't like change, even when that may lead to "success". Change means we may not keep the same friends, same situations even if things may be better these will be different.

https://www.inc.com/james-sudakow/why-fear-of-success-is-holding-you-back-more-than-.html

Personally I got tired of making excuses and took extreme ownership of everything wrong in my life. Once I did that things started turning for the better.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Since you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed. I encourage you to eat at least 50% of the calories back.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • whatalazyidiot
    Options

Since you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed. I encourage you to eat at least 50% of the calories back.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I do actually eat them back now :) I didn't the first few days, then found all the threads about it and decided to eat back half.
  • tattoomary
    tattoomary Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced this, but you have given me a lot more insight to why many people do so many different specific diets or eating plans. I never understood it. I mean this sincerely.

My Fitness Pal and calorie counting is the only thing I've ever tried outside of just a vague notion of "trying to eat less and eat healthier" so I have zero familiarity with the various diets. I will say it worked well for me as I've kept off over 100 for 5 years. Maybe it's worth a shot, just doing moderation? I don't know your goals though and fully understand that losing 100 is a lot different than losing that last 10-15 lb.

Ok now go ahead and "woo" me, rude person who woos all of my posts this week. Thanks.

I always thought 'woo' is like a 'wow' well done !! I'v always used it as a positive. Maybe someone thinks your inspiring :)