Your "enough is enough" moment

Options
13»

Replies

• Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It’s when kids started noticing I am fat, I cannt run, my butt is big!
    I want them to remember not as ‘mum was big’ but as fitter mum
  • anarchysdaughter
    anarchysdaughter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was 5'3" and 254 lbs, just gotten a diagnosis of "Chronic Venous Insufficiency" from a vascular surgeon to explain why I'd gotten cellulitis, which had led to lymphedema and a leg three times its normal size with a weeping wound that wasn't healing. (It took multiple courses of antibiotics and daily visits from homecare nurses). He told me that there was no way to cure the condition, but it could be managed with compression stockings and weight loss.

Until I got that diagnosis, my GP had me on near-total bed rest. He was afraid too much walking around would overheat the leg and prolong the infection, so until the vascular surgeon figured out what was going on and cleared me for walking, since I don't drive, I was either having to wait for my husband to get home from work and chauffeur me about, push me in a transport chair we borrowed from a friend, or take taxis everywhere. It also meant timing my showers for right before the nurse visits—and sometimes they'd call to say they were coming when they were five minutes away. This went on for over two months.

I took a hard look at things and decided that I didn't want this to be my life. That was almost two years and 106 lbs ago.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for sharing. Can you please let me know if your venous insufficiency symptoms have reduced or disappeared? I don't know much about this, all I know is that I was diagnosed with venous reflux disease and have venous insufficiency in both legs and they are suggesting a surgical procedure. I'm terrified and want to try to reverse it as best I can the natural way.

Thanks so much and congratulations on your accomplishments!
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my doctor told me I'd be on high blood pressure meds for the rest of my life, if I didn't do something about it. There were other things that led me to the decision of losing weight, but this one was the proverbial straw. My BP isn't completely under control yet, but I believe I'm in the right direction.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I was 5'3" and 254 lbs, just gotten a diagnosis of "Chronic Venous Insufficiency" from a vascular surgeon to explain why I'd gotten cellulitis, which had led to lymphedema and a leg three times its normal size with a weeping wound that wasn't healing. (It took multiple courses of antibiotics and daily visits from homecare nurses). He told me that there was no way to cure the condition, but it could be managed with compression stockings and weight loss.

Until I got that diagnosis, my GP had me on near-total bed rest. He was afraid too much walking around would overheat the leg and prolong the infection, so until the vascular surgeon figured out what was going on and cleared me for walking, since I don't drive, I was either having to wait for my husband to get home from work and chauffeur me about, push me in a transport chair we borrowed from a friend, or take taxis everywhere. It also meant timing my showers for right before the nurse visits—and sometimes they'd call to say they were coming when they were five minutes away. This went on for over two months.

I took a hard look at things and decided that I didn't want this to be my life. That was almost two years and 106 lbs ago.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for sharing. Can you please let me know if your venous insufficiency symptoms have reduced or disappeared? I don't know much about this, all I know is that I was diagnosed with venous reflux disease and have venous insufficiency in both legs and they are suggesting a surgical procedure. I'm terrified and want to try to reverse it as best I can the natural way.

Thanks so much and congratulations on your accomplishments!

I haven't had a flare-up in about two years. Between the weight-loss and the compression stockings, it seems to be under control for now. They never mentioned surgery in my case. Hope you can get yours under control without it, or if not, that the procedure goes well!
  • kt90gurl
    kt90gurl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Can't walk up a hill or the stairs without being out of breath. It happened recently, and I don't like it :(
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The passing of my mother - she was only 62 - diabetic, high cholesterol, and alzheimer (of course we don't know much about the alzheimer's and what causes is but... ) - My journey isn't about being fit... it is about complete health - mental, emotional, and physical. So far so good, even on the times I have fell off the wagon I haven't rolled off too far away...
  • reddwarf63
    reddwarf63 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Looking at myself in the mirror on boxing day without a shirt on and wondering if it was twins or triplets
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Rowing 10k meters/day, day in and day out, everyday, 7 days/week for 12 months in a row on my Concept 2 rower,

That's when I said, "enuf is enuf."

I lost 10# gradually over the year from 160 to 150. Then took 6 weeks off w/o doing any rowing at all and quickly regained 5# from 150 to 155.

That's when I again said: "enuf is enuf."

Started rowing again everyday but only 5k meters a day this time and over the past 2 months I've curbed the wt gain and have maintained my wt at 155, which I think is a better wt for me than 150.

That's "good enuf" for now. ;)

• Nayomi_Harrison
    Nayomi_Harrison Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    3 years ago Boxing Day sewing a picture of myself at a family members house and not recognising the giant blob that was actually me . I knew deep down I was struggling especially as my blood pressure was sky high and I suffered acid reflux and anxiety through the roof . Me and partner had a rocky patch as I couldn’t understand why he was with me when I was like this but it didn’t spur me on to sort myself out I always made excuses . Seeing the picture made me stop making excuses and change myself . Picture still haunts me now
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A combination of things.

A photo of me at Christmas 2014 which I absolutely hated. After which I noticed my clothes were getting tighter and I was about to go up yet another size. Then the realisation that my breathlessness and high blood pressure were because of my weight. I decided then I needed to do something about it!
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We went to Disney World and I was in maybe 2 pics because I avoid the camera. I want my kids to have momentos of me!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Stepped on the scale and realized I’d gained everything I’d lost from my previous weight loss attempt. That’s happened before but this time my husband and I have a set timeline for when we want to for a baby. It just really sunk in that I can’t keep doing this on and off dieting. I need to make a change. Now I’m 43 lbs down with 27 left to go!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'd always been that fat girl/woman who could keep up with everyone, energy wise and even in sports type activities. That was true for me until I was about 29. I gained even more weight rapidly at my job at that time. I went on a business trip with my boss (who was older than me and normal weight). I could barely keep up with her especially on stairs. I had pain in my legs and was out of breath. I truly changed that day (in fall 2007) and even though it took me over 6 more years to get down to my current healthy weight, that was my turning point.