Is it harder to start being active at 50?

Options
124»

Replies

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    For most of my adult life, I’ve been quite fit. The thing that is different for me at 57 is that I found out I don’t have to work out 60-90 minutes to be in shape. When I started HIIT bodyweight circuits several years ago, I discovered I could get similar fitness results that I had gotten in my 20s, 30s and 40s, but I only needed “all out” routines of 20-30 minutes several times a week. So while my friends and family are amazed that I can do things like burpees, switch lunges and pushups, back to back, for 20 minutes, and they think it’s hard. It’s actually much easier on my body than my former workouts of 60-90 minutes of various running and lifting. An orthopedic surgeon told me, the longer the workout, the more repetitive stress you put on your body parts, the more chance for injury. Plus, my 20-30 minute workouts 3 times a week, give my 57 year old body plenty of recovery & rest time.
    I’m not entirely sure if this works for me because of my age, or if it’s something I could have benefited knowing about at all the stages of my fitness life.
  • hjeffers902
    hjeffers902 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with weight since my early thirties. Baby weight gain stayed for years. I was moderately active- tennis and biking but nothing too strenuous. WW worked for a time but my love is sweets and cream cheese dips took its toll. I headed to the gym seriously st age 48. Lost 60 lbs and felt great. Menopause and not as stringent an eating plan saw much of it creep back these past 5 years. It wasn’t a realistic weight I could ha e maintained I know. I started CrossFit st age 55. I certainly have to modify and scale many weights and gymnastic movements but the community is so welcoming and supportive I don’t mind. I can deadlift 185! But yes, my knees pain and my lower back yells a bit. But it does when I don’t do anything either so I decided it is better to hit the gym and keep moving. I highly recommend pickleball if anyone is looking to play a racquet sport designed for seniors. Great game!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP’s question, I don’t know if it’s harder to start being active at 50 but do know it’s easier to be lazier.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and do 10,000 plus most days on my Fitbit. I say get moving even if it's just walking