Finding it hard to see a difference after -30 pounds

Options

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said with pictures and measuring yourself. Maybe even going shopping to buy some new clothes will help you see your progress.

I'd also suggest if you still feel like you've had little improvement to just carry around 2 - 15 lb dumbells for 20 minutes doing regular activities like going up and down sfairs or just even walking around. I'm sure by then you'll see how far you have come and realize how much weight that actually is.
  • Nzellmar
    Nzellmar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of high school I lost a significant amount of weight eating 1200 calories a day (sometimes less) and I still felt absolutely obese. Look into body dysmorphia and don't believe the thoughts that can come with extreme weight loss. Mine became an obsession and although I was around 125 lbs, I felt like the fattest person in the world. I have since repaired my thinking, but have gained almost 80 lbs in the process. I am now loosing the weight healthily and will try to focus on whole body health in comparison to just being skinny or hitting some goal that isn't important.
  • Dyer_Mark
    Dyer_Mark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight-loss; averaging 10 pounds per month is a major achievement in my opinion. I'm no expert in his and I think this is my first comment but may I share what has motivated me. Firstly, take pictures - I regret not doing so. After 30+ years of being very overweight I started trying 11 months ago: I am 6ft 0 in and came down from 266 to 220 in 8 months by cutting down to 10g of carbs per day. I do not recommend that but I had not shown enough self-discipline on other plans.

Some ideas: Stick to your plan/process, clearly it is working, some weeks will be better than others, do not jump around on different plans. When you are not reducing, take time to congratulate yourself on not increasing or rebounding, I am constantly reminding myself of the emotional investment I have made. I didn't use photos but wish I did, I do use old clothes so suggest you keep some to remind you - I went from 44 inch waist to 38 and am aiming for 36, for example. Fill a backpack with 30 pounds and wear it for a half-day, wear it in the gym, everywhere, to remind you how easy movement is now compared to the past. I challenge myself by signing up to public running/jogging events (10K for example) that I think I can't do - that gets me out training when the weather is bad.........I rejoice that I can jog whereas previously I only shuffled.
  • madisonaclark
    madisonaclark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try more strength training. cardio often wears you down and makes you fatigued, makes you crave food etc. Great on the steps, but doing strength training exercises will actually help to change the shape o your body. We have fat cells all over out body and exercise only shrinks them all over, it's impossible to lose weight in ONLY one spot, or gain for that matter. However, you can tone and train specific muscle groups and make them look better. Make sure to constantly update your TDEE so that you don't go into a caloric deficit you can't maintain. Another great part of lifting is that it builds muscle, muscle needs calories to grow, you get to eat/fuel your body more. When you lose JUST fat you have to get used to eating less overall. Keep up the good work.
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs in 5/6 months by eating around 1500 to 1700 calories and doing cardio/strength training 4 to 5 times a week ( i focus more on strength training though). I didn't notice it until I took my waist measurement and noticed my waist went from 37 inches to 32! I suggest taking measurements and taking pictures. it blew my mind looking back and seeing the before and afters.
  • ValkyrieOnline
    ValkyrieOnline Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    30 pounds seem like nothing, I barely see the change sometimes!
    The pictures do help!
    Height:5’5
    SW: 275+
    CW: 236
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Something you need to keep in mind when losing a lot of fat. There is plenty of fat internally as well. Around your organs etc. If you are in a deficit and eating the proper food, you will be losing. However, you do not choose where you lose it. And maybe, that 5 pounds you lost was all internal, which health wise is the best place to start. Those 5 pounds will be harder to see.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    By the way, I was 200 in jan 2018. I am 5.6.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pictures...

Changes are very slow and we look at ourselves everyday, so they aren't going to be particularly noticeable. Even now almost 7 years later I don't think I look dramatically different than I did when I was heavier...then I'll see a picture from back then, and yeah...it's pretty night and day.
  • jojo19812018
    jojo19812018 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for keeping the replies coming. I’m down 36 pounds now and can see a little difference. Just got to keep on keeping on!
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm down 35 pounds and don't see a difference but everyone around me does, and I've been able to buy smaller clothes. But when I look in the mirror, I don't see it. I'm 5 pounds from my goal and it makes me want to lose more!
  • jojo19812018
    Options
    Well done, I’m sure it’s noticeable! 😊
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Good on you girl! Your progress is amazing. Don’t get down hearted. I started and lost about 66lbs in 90 days. I got bummed out because no one seemed to notice. I let that justify giving up and putting almost all of it back on in the following couple years. Don’t do what I did! It’s all about consistency. Don’t worry about gaining anyone elses’ affirmations or even if you can see it or not on your journey. I’ve since committed to consistency and am now down 121lbs and still going. Stay with it. You can do it.
  • broomykm
    broomykm Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to see the change in the mirror, after all, you have been watching a daily transformation, think in terms of what 30 pounds actually looks like. As in, 30 pounds of ground beef, a stack of 5 pound bags of flour...something that will give you the visual. Someone told me this years ago, and it has always stayed with me. Believe me, no matter how you look at it, 30 pounds is a nice accomplishment, but when you look at it all in a lump and then imagine still “wearing” it, that really makes an impression. Congrats!
  • jojo19812018
    Options
    Thanks so much! Your all so positive.. I appreciate all your responses. ❤️
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    This sounds nuts, but when I don’t see a difference, I remind myself my dog is 25 pounds, and I’ve lost almost two Lucky dogs. Visualizing not having two dogs around my neck helps for some reason when I feel down about not seeing it.
  • ecmorgan101
    ecmorgan101 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me, it was less about what I saw in the mirror.

I remember going to JC Penny to buy a pair of pants one day. I was about 30 pounds down but couldn't "see" it. I went to the big & tall (though I really needed the short & fat) section and nothing fit. Suddenly, I'm back in the "regular size" section buying pants there! I'd lost six inches on my waist.

That's when I realized it that weight loss was significant.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Since August, I've lost 71 lbs. I'm eating 1000 calories +/- a day. I'm 5'2", so the losses are harder to see. I know from the way I feel--more energy, less pain, and a a feeling of confidence I never had. Shorter frames tend to carry weight different than taller, so don't worry about the image in the mirror. Weirdly, the remaining fat is more gelatinous. It's like I'm carrying around spongy material rather than a solid chunk. I've still got a long way to go, so I'm imagining a jelly belly ready to be burned up as energy, rather than a lard butt that won't move.

Mentality is important. Even if you don't see the losses, use it as motivation to do better. Use it as inspiration to be stronger, work harder, and create a difference no one can deny.
  • oharras
    oharras Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    JoJo you are doing just fine and doing all the right things. My quest is not about looking good, it is more about my health needs since I am in my 70's. I have lost 50 lbs and it has taken more than 18 months. I keep my calories at 1270 and it is more about the quality of food intake for fat, protein, sugar, carbs, potassium at my age. I would like to lose 30 more lbs and that would take me into the weight when I was in my 40's, much easier on my joints. I am just 2 inches taller than you, get this weight off while you are young, and keep it off....it will pay great benefits as you age!