TMI but why am I having major bathroom issues now that I’m eating healthy????

Options
2»

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    A drastic change in your diet is a drastic change in the diet of your gut flora. You had a healthy population of bacteria that lived well on your previous diet. It was optimal for them. A drastic change in your diet means that what they were good at consuming is no longer available or only available in smaller quantities. It takes time for the population to change over to a new population that is well adapted to consuming (breaking down) your new diet composition.

This is likely what is happening and you'll feel better when this turnover is complete. If it doesn't clear up within a week, consider speaking to a professional about it.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    In addition to everything that the others have said, you might be eating more food (but less calories) than you were before, and perhaps this is also upsetting your system. Since you are used to eating junkfood, which tends to take up less space but is calorie dense, the body may be challenged at first.

I usually ate healthy but when I was at my highest weight, I was packing in probably 3000 calories a day. I did also eat some sweets which were calorie dense. But still it was too much food for my digestive system--I had terrible digestion, all kinds of stomach and intestinal issues. (including diarrhea sometimes). When I cut back my calories when I started to lose weight, ALL of those issues disappeared once I lost about 20 lbs. (about 3 months). Just a few times since then I've overeaten (by volume) I have had a digestive symptom--now I know that I ate too much.

Back to you--it may be the intestinal flora,etc. but could also be you are eating more volume with the healthy food. You will have to see if your body adjusts to the different diet soon, and if not perhaps, cut back on the volume (but not the calories). Vegetables in particular have very few calories but if I eat 10 brussel sprouts or a pound of brocolli I'm going to have an upset stomach. Meanwhile 3-4 brussel sprouts and a couple of brocoli spears will not bother me.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There's always the possibility you could have a stomach bug.

Probably it's just the unusual diet, but the universe is full of coincidences and you could very well have caught something at the same time you changed diets.

We’ve had a pretty epic stomach bug hitting ppl at work - so it’s entirely possible
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Ugh. I feel like I had less gut issues when I WASNT eating healthy. So discouraging. I hope it doesn’t last because this is a lifestyle change I can’t deal with 😐

Your not having gut issues, your constipated. If your new diet is much higher in either fiber, protein, or fat you might want to back off that category a little bit and slowly work up to how much you intend to consume, as they all can cause discomfort when your body isn't used to digesting them.

I think you've made an unwarranted assumption here. OP says she's been in and out of the bathroom all day. I suppose those could be unproductive visits, or visits caused by taking a laxative, but since there's no mention of either, a more reasonable assumption is diarrhea.

Never mind, I see someone else made the same point.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My entire family has been in the toilet 4 times a day for a week. And bombing the car. So nasty.
  • Numer1ca
    Options
    But. Drastic diet changes can effect gut processing. Usually I eat really well, so 2 days of restaurant foods will send me to the bathroom for a full clean out.
  • Numer1ca
    Options
    Or depending b your diet, choose one meal a month to healthy up, or 1/2 healthy up.
  • somethingxcompletelyxdifferent
    Options
    Yep. I have the same exact reaction. It happens when I eat a lot of vegetables and drink a lot of water. I found that adding popcorn and oats or psyllium husk helps a lot. I tried to find an explanation for it online and couldn't find one. Based on what I read about fibers there are 2 kinds. I think I ate too much of one kind but not the other. Once I got them balanced I feel better. I'm not sure if that's the reason for the frequent bathroom breaks but it did work for me. Hope that can help u too.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to eat more fibre for its satiating effect but I've gone from a once a day girl to 3 times a day! I don't mind that much but I hope I'm not losing nutrients by being so regular.

Major TMI coming up, I do apologise.

If I look at my BM I can see undigested food from less than 12 hours before. Is this too quick? Also do I need to chew more thoroughly?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely not constipated. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this.
    Sure, it is very common for this to happen with sudden increases in fiber.
    Looking at my diary from the last week, I’ve had 14-19g of fiber a day.. which is way below the goal of 25g mfp chose for me.
    Do you happen to know what your fiber was before this change? Or were you not logging then?
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP, I tend to have some mild IBS that is of the "diarrhea" variety. I hate it. When I eat unhealthily as I did from November through December, the IBS goes away and I will get a firm bowel movement. I love it but I know it's not healthy and I tend to start feeling stopped up although I never go into full-blown constipation.

In the last two weeks, I've increased my fiber intake through fruits, veggies, and beans and, well, I'm back to the unpleasantness. For me, it does not go away. I truly believe I have a fructose sensitivity and would probably benefit from a low-FOMAD diet, but I haven't done it. I have to be very careful about how many apples, pears, plums, etc I eat during the week. I'll often save my fruit eating for Friday so that I don't have to deal with lots of bathroom trips while I'm at work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Could be drastic change in your diet...that said, for myself the biggest issue was bloating from more fiber and going from once a day to 2 or 3 times per day...but not diarrhea.

I actually think it's more likely to be coincidence and you have a stomach bug. I had a bad stomach bug from Christmas day until New Years Eve, and it's been going around here.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to eat more fibre for its satiating effect but I've gone from a once a day girl to 3 times a day! I don't mind that much but I hope I'm not losing nutrients by being so regular.

Major TMI coming up, I do apologise.

If I look at my BM I can see undigested food from less than 12 hours before. Is this too quick? Also do I need to chew more thoroughly?

2-3 times a day is normal.
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you now eating any kind of sugar free candy? Chewing a lot of sugar free gum? Anything with sugar alcohol like xylitol or sorbitol?

If so, THAT IS WHY.
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    AnnabellaxRinger Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When I started clean eating for IF, I had a lot of issues with whenever I ate something that was 'unhealthy' or 'greasy' it would shoot right through me, you aren't alone OP. I just paid attention specifically to what I ate, I keep a journal, and would revisit what all I had eaten.
    Usually it was undrained meat my boyfriend cooked, or something else equally unhealthy. The body adapts and then doesn't really like that so much! Good luck!