Dry January! No Alcohol!

Replies

• SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    One thing for me that has been a big help is hot tea! I love to cook while drinking wine and having wine with dinner. Instead I bought a glass teapot I can put on the stove and then have flowering pods that are beautiful! I feel like I am not giving up my wine as much and know I am making healthier choices.
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    So far the weekend hasn't been so hard (surprisingly). The flavored sparkling waters are helping alot. And waking up with more energy and clarity in the morning is super nice lol
    Hope everyone is doing well!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Awesome!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I haven't drunk alcohol in about 6 months, so saying off it in January is no problem. I'm aiming to have no alcohol for a year and then maybe just carry it on forever.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    jonewe05 wrote: »
    I'm in. I reckon 50% of my excess weight is directly attributable to alcohol and the other 50% to poor food choices and sloth as an indirect result.

I agree I'm 3 days in and doing a no carb no sugar diet and down a pound and a half believe it or not!

I guess you mean no white, starchy carbs like pasta and bread, and no added sugar? Fruit and veg are mostly carbs and sugar.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    How is everyone sleeping with no alcohol?
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member

Last night was a better night for me, but I am still not sleeping straight through the night. I'm also not tired when it's time to go to bed. I guess I was used to having my wine before bed which helped me sleep :disappointed:
  • JLatham325

Not great. It's taking me forever to fall asleep each night without wine, usually up until 11:30pm now and then my alarm goes off at 4:30am. I'm hoping my body gets used to this and I can fall asleep easier soon
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I've slept great every other night so far. Fascinating.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Ugh sleep has not been great. But I've always had sleeping problems. Alcohol has been the easiest way for me to get to sleep.
    I'm using melitonin right now.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm trying dry January this year and made it through this first weekend, but this is going to be hard ugh. I LOVE craft beer. My favorite thing to do on weekends is sit in a bath with a beer and my laptop set up so I can watch tv. I'm doing sparkling water and herbal tea but it's just not the same. My sleep is much better without alcohol so I do have that benefit.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm not drinking this month either. The last drink I had was a champagne toast at midnight on NYE. I love a glass or two of red wine and listening to music while I'm preparing dinner, and that's when I miss it most. And next year, I want to wake-up January 1st without a hangover.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I highly recommend Lights Out from Amazon. It has great reviews and natural. I finally slept well with no booze.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    KEY NUTRIENTS Natural Sleep Aid, LIGHTS OUT Contains Melatonin, Valerian, Passion Flower, &...
  • Newchoice55
    Newchoice55 Posts: 2 Member
    7 days in.....found the weekend hard but survived........found friends coming to dinner was hard......I miss my red wine. On the positive.......feel better in the mornings, making better food choices (tend to go staight to carbs when I've had a drink) and was able to drive my friends home after dinner which they loved!!! Weigh in should be interesting!
  • JLatham325
    First weekend in the books and successful.
    One thing I did catch myself doing is rewarding myself with extra treats/processed carbs late at night because "well at least I've cut out wine". So I need to be more conscious of that because I don't want to gain weight during this process lol
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    4 days in for me. I had some wine on the 3rd, but nothing since and I don't plan on having any for the rest of January. I'll re-evaluate it the first week of February. Hopefully I'll make it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited January 2019
    It's common to have sleep problems when first giving up alcohol.

I didn't sleep a full eight hours through the night for nearly a month after I quit drinking. Now I sleep eight hours nearly every night, unless I've eaten too much just before bed. The carbs - if I eat too many carbs within about three hours of bedtime, I'll wake up at 2-3AM and won't be able to go back to sleep. That makes me believe that part of it is blood sugar. If I get up and have a glass of milk I can always go back to sleep.

If anyone thinks they need alcohol to sleep, there's a problem. That has to be a warning sign.

Here's an article that's interesting:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sleep-newzzz/201801/alcohol-and-sleep-what-you-need-know
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Here is to day seven!! Worked out like a champ this morning and feel great!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Has anyone see the scale drop with dry January? :smiley: