Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Dry January! No Alcohol!

Replies

• Fitness327wkFitness327wk Posts: 808Member Member Posts: 808Member Member
    Here is to day seven!! Worked out like a champ this morning and feel great!
    Has anyone see the scale drop with dry January? :smiley:
  • JaxxieKatJaxxieKat Posts: 349Member Member Posts: 349Member Member
    I'm in. I was sober from August until December. Since then I've had maybe 5 glasses of wine. I'm totally down for a dry January.
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,337Member, Premium Member Posts: 19,337Member, Premium Member

It's gone down a few pounds since Jan 1. I'm figuring some is 'bloat' and some is from me dieting and one or so from the extra calories I'm not drinking weekly.
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,337Member, Premium Member Posts: 19,337Member, Premium Member
    Day 7 done and dusted.

A friend and teacher of mine suggested when we set goals we ask three questions (she got this from a Ted talk):
    1. Can I do it.
    2. will the outcome be what I want
    3. is it worth it.

I can do this, in fact so far it's not hard, just takes some mindfulness. Will the outcome be what I want? I hope so. I hope it will lead to 4-5Lbs loss as I am also dieting to lose some meno-pounds. Is it worth it? SURE!
  • fdhunt1fdhunt1 Posts: 192Member, Premium Member Posts: 192Member, Premium Member
    I'm a little late to the party but I'm in. Need to quit drinking period!
  • Alpha12Alpha12 Posts: 252Member Member Posts: 252Member Member
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I'm a little late to the party but I'm in. Need to quit drinking period!

Welcome! Late is better than never. I didn't start myself until 1/3. Today will be my day 5 without drinking. I know it's early in the day, but I think I'll make it. One day at a time.

Not a real weigh-in day for me, but I've been dry since 1/3 and I'm down exactly 2 lbs. Bloat, I'm guessing. The real proof will be when I weigh myself at the end of January.
    I have to say that I feel so much better in the morning by not drinking the night prior. In turn, I will push harder in my workouts and continue to make mindeful choices. When I am thinking geezz, I would love to have a few glasses of wine tonight, how will I feel in the morning. Here is to dry January!
  • cavatinnecavatinne Posts: 17Member Member Posts: 17Member Member
    Hi, I was doing well until this past weekend went to a party and drank some champagne....disappointed, but back on track now, weekends will be trying. Go out alot on weekends and live in a small city within walking distance to restaurants, pubs...giving up wine during week is not too hard for me. I also like teas especially herbal at night.
    On to day 6 of dry January for me today! I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I'm by no means complacent. Temptation can strike at any time. How is everyone else doing?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,442Member Member Posts: 6,442Member Member
    I have a very serious question and dont mean to sound rude or offend anyone but.... do you guys doing this have a serious drinking problem or are you just doing this for fun? Kind of like a W30?
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 27,969Member Member Posts: 27,969Member Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have a very serious question and dont mean to sound rude or offend anyone but.... do you guys doing this have a serious drinking problem or are you just doing this for fun? Kind of like a W30?

Did you read the thread? I think there is some of both here.

No, I don't think I have a "serious drinking problem" but I'm not doing this for fun either. I think I've been drinking too much lately and it's time for me to take a month or so off. I need to lose about 30 lbs and find that drinking wine about 3 times per week (bottle each time) is sabotaging my weight loss. I'm not saying I won't ever have wine again, but this month, I'm choosing to stay dry. Also, a good way for me to find out if I'm heading into the "serious drinking" category.
    edited January 9

Hi! None taken at all. For myself why I decided dry January is for the fact that I do enjoy my wine and it has not helped my waistline over the last few years. I have gained approximately ten pounds and I know that is a contributing factor. Eat really healthy and workout. I enjoy cooking while drinking wine with my husband, during dinner and maybe a glass afterward. I know that it is too much alcohol and I want to be healthier in 2019. I do enjoy drinking and agree with @alpha12 that I am not giving it forever. I am going to achieve my goal and drink in better moderation. I would say that I am a daily drinker and wanted to quit a habit that could turn into a “serious drinking” problem.

I will say this that I am use to having wine in the evening and it has been a transition. I am happy for everyone if they are doing this challenge from drinking a few days a week to drinking all the time. It shows me that you want change for yourself in a better healthier way! You made the first step!

@crazyravr Are you doing dry January?
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    On to day 6 of dry January for me today! I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I'm by no means complacent. Temptation can strike at any time. How is everyone else doing?

Awesome! I am on day 9 and feel great! I definitely have more energy in the morning! I understand about temptation from habits that I am breaking (21 days to break habit - some say more 21/90). Here is a good example from yesterday, we golfed with friends and always afterward we have our post game drink. I chose to drink hot tea while they enjoyed their cocktail (enjoyed my tea too); however, at first I wanted to drink with them (was not thrilled - however, changed my attitude). I played better golf yesterday as well! I didn’t want the extra calories and made a goal of dry January.
    Also, in the past would have enjoyed that drink after golf and would have started cooking with wine. VERY happy I saved all those calories and like mentioned above I have a lot more energy. I am looking forward to a good hard workout this morning!
  • youngmomtazyoungmomtaz Posts: 869Member Member Posts: 869Member Member

I drink maybe 2-3 times a month. 2-4 drinks each time. So between 4-12 drinks a month. Not a problem at all. I do find though that I use a glass of alcohol to make conversation in groups easier(I fight some anxiety), and once I have had one I want three. I try to always be very aware of my actual thoughts surrounding WHY I want alcohol at that moment. Alcoholism runs in my family. It never hurts me to give it up completely for a time frame, drop some calories both from the drinks and from the snacking that I do when I drink, and just in general set goals for myself and stick to them.

ETA: rereading this I realized this: if I could moderate my thoughts and food triggers as well as I feel I moderate alcohol, I would be golden. Off topic though and something I have been improving greatly in the past year.

edited January 9
  • JLatham325JLatham325 Posts: 105Member Member Posts: 105Member Member

I'm not doing this for fun, per se. But for my health and goals. Personally I had developed a weekly habit of grabbing a bottle of wine to watch movies with my husband every Friday/Saturday night. That wine was empty calories, which led to eating excess carbs mindlessly, which led to less energy the next day. Ultimately unraveling any calorie deficit progress I had made during the week.

In addition to this challenge I am also involved in a 6 week challenge at my gym in which one of the rules to the meal plan is "no alcohol". So I find a forum like this helpful to encourage others as well as myself to stay strong while abstaining from something that does not contribute to reaching our goals, swap tips/tricks on navigating social situations while abstaining, etc.

While everyone's consumption varies, that's where I am at right now :)
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,442Member Member Posts: 6,442Member Member

Hi! None taken at all. For myself why I decided dry January is for the fact that I do enjoy my wine and it has not helped my waistline over the last few years. I have gained approximately ten pounds and I know that is a contributing factor. Eat really healthy and workout. I enjoy cooking while drinking wine with my husband, during dinner and maybe a glass afterward. I know that it is too much alcohol and I want to be healthier in 2019. I do enjoy drinking and agree with @alpha12 that I am not giving it forever. I am going to achieve my goal and drink in better moderation. I would say that I am a daily drinker and wanted to quit a habit that could turn into a “serious drinking” problem.

I will say this that I am use to having wine in the evening and it has been a transition. I am happy for everyone if they are doing this challenge from drinking a few days a week to drinking all the time. It shows me that you want change for yourself in a better healthier way! You made the first step!

@crazyravr Are you doing dry January?

Nope. I enjoy everything that life has to offer in moderation.