Surprisingly low cals? What foods surprised you?

Replies

• kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Fruit with full fat plain Greek yogurt and honey. Tastes like heaven to me and surprisingly low in calories while still giving you a bit of protein.

Also I'm a weirdo but I love a banana drizzled with a little Hershey's simply 5 syrup and topped with some reddiwhip. Really low calorie but to me is just as good as a bowl of ice cream.

Those are my "desserts" more often than not.

Mash up banana & pb freeze with a few chocolate chips 🤯
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Bacon was lower than I expected.

Shrimp.

Plain potatoes. Even more so, most other root vegetables and winter squash.

Pork chops and pork loin.

Yes, and happily so to the bolded. I think they're all caloric bargains for how filling they are.

Also, cottage cheese.

Now put your hands together and its my kind of a dinner :)

One of my favorite easy to prep meals is roasted butternut squash topped with cottage cheese with some sriracha on top. Pure comfort food.

I did a garbage pale scrambler, volume eaters edition for dinner tonight. KITTEN thing weighed 2 lbs for about 550 cals.... uses acorn squash instead of potato... home made hot sauce on top.....

How do u make your hot sauce????
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    IsETHome wrote: »
    I have found the greek yogurt to be high - I wish that they had smaller containers ready made. Although I've bought a few more smaller cups for portion control.

If you have an instant pot, you can make your own. You control the amount of sweetener and the size of the portions. It's surprisingly easy to do.
  • BethMarieVA
    BethMarieVA Posts: 64 Member
    Try making tuna fish without mayo and substitute with Dijon mustard. I use Grey Poupon Country Dijon, because it has a little more texture and flavor, but any Dijon is good. Cut up baby gerkins and add them as well as some of the juice from the jar. Salt and pepper and you are done! A great alternative that tastes amazing and is around 150 calories for the entire can. Be open minded and just try it! It is really good! :)<3
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    I am finding I like meat stuffed squash with apples, etc. I think it's the carbs that are higher; but for me still low fat
  • monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    Homemade basic veggie soups. Spices, broth, and a bunch of low calorie veggies like cabbage and zucchini, bell peppers.. whatever you like yummm. Almond milk considering almonds are high calorie.. omelettes with either whole or egg whites and veggies and sprinkle of feta for fun is pretty good calorie wise. And for me rice.. because it’s filling with veggies.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    I am finding I like meat stuffed squash with apples, etc. I think it's the carbs that are higher; but for me still low fat

It’s been awhile since I did this, I think I’ll add it this week. Maybe more onions and other veg vice apple.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    A fried chicken thigh with skin is around 250 calories, depending on weight. So 2 thighs and a pile of steamed veggies is a 550ish calorie meal. Wow
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Mushrooms! They really bulk up a meal for minimal calories.
  • IsETHome
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Mushrooms! They really bulk up a meal for minimal calories.

I slice and cook 8 or 16 oz mushrooms then add a can of 100 cal progressive french onion soup, and a tbsp of bisto (gravy thickner 22 cal) Then I make mashed potatoes, and create 4 small meals/ snacks to fill me up right around100 cals. My original recepie.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Actually... McDonalds vanilla cone. 200 cals for 145 grams... actually pretty low density for a sugar loaded item.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2019
    Miracle Noodles, aka shirataki noodles. Only 5 calories. Look them up online - life changing if you love a big plate of pasta.
  • IsETHome
    Actually... McDonalds vanilla cone. 200 cals for 145 grams... actually pretty low density for a sugar loaded item.

Except that depending on how happy the person saving you is this can very easily double :)

Well I am a bit of a crazy ahole, so I actually take my scale and weigh it.. within 5%. Just tell them normal... seems to work.

Funny, I was at a restaurant today and really wanted to weigh my chicken and measure the sweet potato fries.....do you really bring your scale?
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Lentils are magic.
  • psychod787

Except that depending on how happy the person saving you is this can very easily double :)

Well I am a bit of a crazy ahole, so I actually take my scale and weigh it.. within 5%. Just tell them normal... seems to work.

Thats a whole another level of crazy OR dedication :)

Thats a whole another level of crazy OR dedication :)

Combo of both. I like to be able to visualize portion sizes. I can now generally guess the weight of most fruit, veggies, and potatos within 10%. It helps me when I have to free style. When I was losing, I never learned these skills. It's all part of the loonnngg game hopefully.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Not so much on the calories themselves, but on the amount of protein for the calories: Lupini beans. 120 calories for 100 grams. 16 grams of protein.
  • psychod787
    IsETHome wrote: »

Funny, I was at a restaurant today and really wanted to weigh my chicken and measure the sweet potato fries.....do you really bring your scale?

Not so much restaurants. Generally calorie dense extras. I don't go out to eat much... maybe 2 times a months and budget an extra 15% for a meal.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    For me the most shocking was avocado. I had always thought those were high in calories so I always skipped it or used very sparingly. Today I wanted a quick snack and had an avocado that needed to be used. Ate the whole thing and it was just under 200 calories.