Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Unpopular opinions

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    leiflung wrote: »
    This seems like an exercise in confirmation bias.

What bias do you think I am confirming, even? If we came to basically the same conclusion, what bias do you perceive I have.
    The best you can do is apply this CICO for a while until you get to a calculated Ci and CO that results in weight loss, from there you shoot for precision, not accuracy.

Acknowledging this your caloric intake estimate is a maximum/worst case scenario, so while you may be correct, this information is largely irrelevant for the purpose of weight management.

Do you see the similarity? Do you see that we are coming to basically the same conclusion?
    Very few things outside of the abstract are true, precise, and constant.

I am saying that the way we measure the calories in food is nowhere near anything similar to the way the body processes the calories in food. Burning v. dissolving, it's not similar at all.

It is entirely possible that eating 100 calories of kale doesn't give you anywhere near the same calories that 100 calories of donuts gives you.

I'm not saying it's true. I'm saying it's very possible and nothing I've ever seen has convinced me this is NOT true.
    Acknowledging this your caloric intake estimate is a maximum/worst case scenario, so while you may be correct, this information is largely irrelevant for the purpose of weight management.

I'm not saying this as advice or anything. I'm sharing it only as an opinion that is unpopular. Because that's what this thread is about. I knew this one was super unpopular, I shared it, I got like 16 woo's confirming it's unpopular.

There couldn't be a more appropriate place for me to share this opinion.

It doesn't even make any sense to call it confirmation. The only thing I'm confirming is doubt, We don't know that 100 calories of kale is the same as 100 calories of donut. Because, FFS, we don't even really know that 100 calories of food is 100 calories.

I'm curious - why do you want to believe this?
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

What bias do you think I am confirming, even? If we came to basically the same conclusion, what bias do you perceive I have.
    The best you can do is apply this CICO for a while until you get to a calculated Ci and CO that results in weight loss, from there you shoot for precision, not accuracy.

Do you see the similarity? Do you see that we are coming to basically the same conclusion?

I am saying that the way we measure the calories in food is nowhere near anything similar to the way the body processes the calories in food. Burning v. dissolving, it's not similar at all.

It is entirely possible that eating 100 calories of kale doesn't give you anywhere near the same calories that 100 calories of donuts gives you.

I'm not saying it's true. I'm saying it's very possible and nothing I've ever seen has convinced me this is NOT true.

I'm not saying this as advice or anything. I'm sharing it only as an opinion that is unpopular. Because that's what this thread is about. I knew this one was super unpopular, I shared it, I got like 16 woo's confirming it's unpopular.

It doesn't even make any sense to call it confirmation. The only thing I'm confirming is doubt, We don't know that 100 calories of kale is the same as 100 calories of donut. Because, FFS, we don't even really know that 100 calories of food is 100 calories.

I'm curious - why do you want to believe this?

You're begging the question. I don't want to believe any particular thing.

I don't care. I believe what makes the most sense to me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    nrtauthor wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion:

It's better to resurrect an old thread then start a new one with the same topic. :P

Depends on the resurrection.

I've seen too many resurrections where someone is addressing the OP who hasn't posted in years.

It's rare that you see a resurrection that goes "I've got the same issue and read through this thread and have questions". Those almost always get a pass. But then what often happens is someone else comes along, read from the beginning and starts responding to posts from long gone posters.

A better way to do it is to start a new thread, refer back to the dead thread and ask the pertinent questions that you have so they can be addressed without bringing up old issues from long gone posters. It will work better to get your questions answered.

But there is nothing against the rules from resurrecting old posts so feel free.

Besdies, some of the resurrections are frikken hysterical :)
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member
    The biological process of it is absolutely true.

Fact for sure.
    No opinion.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Anything is possible, but do you have any particular reason to think that 100 calories of donut *isn't* 100 calories of donut? You can use the excuse of "anything is possible" to doubt everything. Before you know it, we're making sacrifices to the moon to prevent space babies from coming down and stealing our silverware.

None at all. I couldn't care less.

I just see people claim all the time that a calorie is a calorie and I always think, "You're talking out of your *kitten*." But I don't disagree because any time I do I'm beset by an angry mob. So it's just this unpopular opinion I had sitting in my pocket when this thread came up.

That a calorie is a calorie doesn't assume we can measure them perfectly. People certainly don't count them perfectly. That part of your argument seems to be against a strawman.

Re 100 calories of kale would have fewer calories than 100 calories of donuts, what you seem to be talking about it that your body does not absorb all the calories. So you might actually get only 80 calories from the kale, and 98 from the donut. Possible, even though I think they try to take that into account by how they determine the calories (and by the fact that calories from fiber are counted only partially). But I certainly can believe that some people might not absorb the calories from high fiber foods as well as lower fiber foods, and I think there's some question about whether calories from the protein in meat and from nuts might be overstated vs. what we actually absorb.

But what this does not mean is that 100 calories of donuts is really 300 calories to the body. (Much more likely that someone is using wishful thinking in how they estimate and log the donuts or the entries chosen.)

It also doesn't really matter in practice, just adjust if your diet tends toward foods that may be lower calorie in reality than the nutrition information claims, and so you lose way more than expected. Heck, maybe that's why I lost more than expected initially.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    nrtauthor wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion:

It's better to resurrect an old thread then start a new one with the same topic. :P

Depends on the resurrection.

I've seen too many resurrections where someone is addressing the OP who hasn't posted in years.

It's rare that you see a resurrection that goes "I've got the same issue and read through this thread and have questions". Those almost always get a pass. But then what often happens is someone else comes along, read from the beginning and starts responding to posts from long gone posters.

A better way to do it is to start a new thread, refer back to the dead thread and ask the pertinent questions that you have so they can be addressed without bringing up old issues from long gone posters. It will work better to get your questions answered.

But there is nothing against the rules from resurrecting old posts so feel free.

Besdies, some of the resurrections are frikken hysterical :)

All of this.

I think it would be better if someone would look to see if there's a recent thread on, say, keto rather than starting a new thread asking if anyone in the world does keto. But so often it's a really obscure thing and the resurrecting one jumps in to scold people who said stuff 7 years ago or to advise a long-gone OP.

And as you said, that is very often hysterical. I enjoy it.