JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: »
    @mytime6630 My Word for the Year is also DISCIPLINE! I thought it was perseverance but discipline kept demanding to be heard and I finally just gave in and said, Okay, Okay! Have your way!

Discipline: restraint exercised over one's own impulses, emotions, or desires.

@PackerFanInGB Tenacious conjures up all kinds of word pictures. Steely eyes, bared teeth, almost snarling, lol! Did I give you the definition of your fabulous word? I thought I did but just in case...

Tenacity: persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired

@slittlemeister A two-fer for you this year! Mindful and Moderation These are very strong words and are very active words.

Mindful Aware. (In other words, "taking every bite captive!"
    Moderation in a way that is reasonable and not excessive

@snowflake1968 Your word for 2019 is Determined. That is extremely powerful.

Determine Firmly resolved (love the part "firmly")

Oh, there is one more out there---please remind me who you are. Is your word Consistency?

I always think of the adage "Slow and steady wins the race!"

Consistency steady continuity

Onward and UPward!!!
    Peace and joy

@Bex953172 is Discovery!

And mine is Driven! (to succeed!)
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    JFT -
    red cup - almost there
    logging food - :)

What motivates me (at least for a time) is trying on new clothes at the store, and trying on clothes at home (back to work today and had to be sure today's clothes would fit, sadly gained wt over the holidays).
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @toaljasa Thank you for the video! I have only done it once and that was 13 years ago! I remember I was terrible at it. So this is definitely going to be watched. I'm not sure if I'm sewing with the machine front and back yet or if I'll do one on machine and other by hand. I'm scared to touch it, actually! LOL!

@cclayton171 I love your insight. It took me a very long time to realize I lost myself. Was hard to take myself back too! Everyone was so used to me doing for them and not myself that they couldn't understand when I started taking some "me" time. Welcome to our group and I wish you much success on this journey! Feel free to add me if you like!

@Bex953172 You made me spit my water out, and I'm at work! hahaha! :lol:
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year's to All! Glad to be with you again in 2019 <3

Checking in after a two week hiatus. I totally did wrong over my break and gained back most of the few (4) lbs that I had lost. Way overate, did not log anything, and very little exercise so I'm not surprised with the results of this train wreck. :'(

On a positive note, we accomplished the two home projects (put in shelving in master closet, extended garage roofing so that we can keep our travel trailer covered) plus filed for homestead exemption for our new home. Oh, I almost forgot: I also unpacked at least 7 boxes so our spare bedroom is finally starting to look like it should :)

I also visited my Mom whom I had to tell that she won't be going back to her apartment and will now be permanently at the ALF. She took it better than I thought but has been having some off days; I guess that's to be expected. The doctor confirmed that she also has had another mini stroke so we're crossing our fingers and saying our prayers that she won't have any more b/c that would mean even more loss of brain function and mobility :'(

I am more than ready for another year of JFT so I'll have to park my weight gain and vacation derailment so that I can move on starting today.

I'm going to skip the posts from 2018 that I didn't read while I was out and start fresh with the 2019 posts. They're still a lot of those so I need to be patient with myself especially b/c I've tons of e-mails waiting in my in box to catch up on:

JFT 1/7/19
    _Log, log, log everything I eat
    -Water, water, water
    _Read, read, read at least one page of posts

Hugs to all <3

Glad you're back sweetie... Praying for you and your family, hoping for better days ahead.... And remember... We love you
    and we're here for you. One step, one day at a time... Hugs🌹
  • AJB1014
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Right now I'm Discovering a pizza and a Dr. Pepper...

Hahahaha I love you!
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    This year is popping like popcorn on here. Can't keep up with the posts, newbies,
    and goals. Wow!!! I LOVE IT! WE ARE OFF AND RUNNING. HUGS AND PRAYERS FOR
    ALL THE LIFE CHANGES AND STRUGGLES.

JFT
    Got my own upcoming life changes... Talked to my daughters to prepare them😀
    Stay in the Green 😀
    Read at least one chapter/library book 😀🙌 ... Read 3
    Confess POSITIVE WORDS 😀
    Lower WO 😀

JFT Tuesday
    Out by 4:30 a.m. to get husband to work
    Back by 5:15 to exercise for a quick 10 minutes
    Ready by 7:30
    Daughter has appointment need to be done by 1:00 p.m.
    Pick up husband by 3:00 p.m.
    Finish by 7 for prayer service
    Bed by 10
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    @Snowflake1968 OMG skydiving for a bachelorette seems a bit extreme!!! Lol just hearing about it all stresses me out - probably why I've been engaged 2+ years with nothing planned officially still :D

Kaitlyn and Brodey have been together for a long time. 2 days after their wedding will be their 10 year anniversary. I think she has had her wedding mostly planned for about 5 years. This will be a fairly large wedding around 150-200 guests, they are paying for the majority of it. Brodey told Kaitlyn he could have proposed years ago but wanted to be able to afford the wedding of her dreams. He has given her a very generous budget and we have agreed to around 5000 which is about what her sister’s wedding cost us, which was actually two one here in Alberta and the next year a reception and dance in New Brunswick.

My wedding was planned in about 6 weeks. We got married in a friends backyard with 12 guests. Sandwiches and finger food made myself was the catering and my brother and his ghetto blaster was the DJ.

Lauryn’s wedding was also planned in 6 weeks. She was married on the boat in West Edmonton Mall. They had their first date at the mall. Her new in laws hosted reception that was catered at their house.

It’s not the wedding and all the hoopla, it’s the vows and love that matter.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    This year is popping like popcorn on here. Can't keep up with the posts, newbies,
    and goals. Wow!!! I LOVE IT! WE ARE OFF AND RUNNING. HUGS AND PRAYERS FOR
    ALL THE LIFE CHANGES AND STRUGGLES.

JFT
    Got my own upcoming life changes... Talked to my daughters to prepare them😀
    Stay in the Green 😀
    Read at least one chapter/library book 😀🙌 ... Read 3
    Confess POSITIVE WORDS 😀
    Lower WO 😀

JFT Tuesday
    Out by 4:30 a.m. to get husband to work
    Back by 5:15 to exercise for a quick 10 minutes
    Ready by 7:30
    Daughter has appointment need to be done by 1:00 p.m.
    Pick up husband by 3:00 p.m.
    Finish by 7 for prayer service
    Bed by 10

Forgive me Mary, but I thought you were single, sounds like you have lots going on!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

JFT 1-7-19 (Monday Funday)

1. Log everything. :)
    2. Drink at least 96 oz of water. :)
    3. Walk during lunch or afterward (depending on weather). :)
    4. Use my paper fitness journal. :)
    5. Start studying for my next work exam. :neutral:
    6. Do at least one load of laundry. :)

I didn't end up studying, oops! I will get cracking on that though, 4 classes away from a $1500 bonus at work!

JFT 1-8-19

1. Log everything.
    2. Drink at least 96 oz of water.
    3. Start studying for that work exam!
    4. Do some housecleaning as I won't get to the gym.
    5. Do something fun for myself.
    6. Make someone smile.
  • newdaydawning79
    Options
    Cat back at vets. Sat there blubbing in car this am in their car park whilst waited for vet to open. So worried and prayed mightily for him over weekend. Vet today not sure but bloods not showing anything dreadful and she couldn’t feel hard lump so praying this is a case of bad constipation after all and he will be fine. He’s admitted and will get an ultrasound and hope that will tell me he’s just needing a rinse out of his digestive system! He’s so precious to me.

Have been good and not eaten which I would normally do as comfort eating for all this stress.

Hoping for the best for your kitty! Mine is going in this week as he's losing weight and we're not sure why. He's the happiest cat ever and hasn't been acting weird so we're at a loss. He hasn't been eating his dry food either (whereas he cleaned the bowl completely just last week) so we've been giving him wet food which he's scarfing. I'm hoping he's just being a picky old man.

Hang in there! Pets are like kids I swear! <3
  • newdaydawning79
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB I'm so nervous to bind my first quilt and my 'teacher' isn't going to be around until the beginning of April. It's quilted (I love having a fiancee whose parents have a long-arm machine in their basement!) but now I'm like 'I'm so going to screw this up'! LOL
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 OMG skydiving for a bachelorette seems a bit extreme!!! Lol just hearing about it all stresses me out - probably why I've been engaged 2+ years with nothing planned officially still :D

Kaitlyn and Brodey have been together for a long time. 2 days after their wedding will be their 10 year anniversary. I think she has had her wedding mostly planned for about 5 years. This will be a fairly large wedding around 150-200 guests, they are paying for the majority of it. Brodey told Kaitlyn he could have proposed years ago but wanted to be able to afford the wedding of her dreams. He has given her a very generous budget and we have agreed to around 5000 which is about what her sister’s wedding cost us, which was actually two one here in Alberta and the next year a reception and dance in New Brunswick.

My wedding was planned in about 6 weeks. We got married in a friends backyard with 12 guests. Sandwiches and finger food made myself was the catering and my brother and his ghetto blaster was the DJ.

Lauryn’s wedding was also planned in 6 weeks. She was married on the boat in West Edmonton Mall. They had their first date at the mall. Her new in laws hosted reception that was catered at their house.

A sobering fact: Skydiving has a lower mortality rate (as of 2017) than pregnancy in America.

I had exactly six months to plan my wedding. He proposed on Valentine's Day, and we got married on August 14. Makes it easy to remember the date! ;D We had about a hundred people, but that was mostly because we've both got big families. The reception was potluck; his cousin made our cake and most of our guests brought cookies and finger foods of various sorts.

There IS something special about having a bit of hoopla to celebrate your relationship, but ultimately, it's not necessary.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    JFT, Monday
    1. log all food :) I feel like I had a lot of calories today ... but I logged it all, and was super active today. So I am hoping it will all be ok. Do you ever have days where you are just hungry all day long?
    2. go to the gym :/ But . ... I worked almost 3 hours in the yard ... it was a beautiful day today!! Then I came in to rest, and my neighbor called that she was going for a walk ... so got in a 45 minute walk!
    3. going to the swim pool with my neighbor ... walking in the lazy river current (it it a indoor pool). :) Had a blast, but my legs are like rubber tonite! I feel like I have been on a boat! But it was a lot of fun.
    4. work on business tax ... try not to get grumpy! :) Made a lot of progress today -- lots to do yet, but feeling good about it all.
    5. mindful eating ..... look up and be sure I really want to eat the calories :)
    6. january challenge ---- red cup .... 8+ glasses water. :)

January Challenge -- Red cup challenge - 8+ glasses of water

Jan 4 :)
    Jan 5 :)
    Jan 6: >:) More like only 3 cups so far.
    Jan 7: :)

JFt, Tues
    1. go to the gym
    2. log all food
    3. work on business taxes
    4. go water walking with my neighbor
    5. mindful eating
    6. make smart decisions
    7. water challenge
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Monday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Morning meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Duo. Take the shoes!
    2. Get schedules. Print roster. Respond to emails.
    3. Class 1-2: Check in with students who did not complete honors summer project.
    4. Planning: Blog post. Check in on Bollig. Write discussion post 1. Write unit 1 plans for H2. Draft unit 1 plans for R1. Print pass logs to add to Handouts folder. Read New Jim Crow 17-58. Check with other teachers about honors summer project.
    5. Class 4: Borrow a laptop; pull CD files. 4th needs practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Return computer cart. Update class websites.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Put the rest of the laundry away.
    7. Strength class 4:30. Zumba 5:30. Text B. Call parents. Find contact information for gastro; need to set up initial appt (Feb 7?)
    8. Prep Tue lunch: Saag. Chop celery. Pack lunch bag. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45, devices off by 10:00, alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Tuesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Duo.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Matilda to 604.
    3. Class 1-2: Grammar review: nouns, sing/pl. Survey. Prologue reading/questions.
    4. Planning: Two discussion comments. Meet with J in 802. New Jim Crow 35-96. Blog post. Visit B. Revise unit 1 plans for H2. Draft unit 1 plans for R1. Review prior assessments for R1; meet with CC?
    5. Class 4: Turn in HW. Start with story. During survey, review hw and choose grammar practice for after survey.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Zumba 5:30. Put the rest of the laundry away.
    8. Quiz. Update Goodreads Friday. Write out References for reflection essay.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Wed lunch: Beef stew. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00; alarm set for 5:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    Today: 190.2

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding.
    2. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Regular: needs practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    3. Connect standards to assignments and include them in titles and in gradebook.
    4. Develop writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts.
    5. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Barn order: stapler, pencil sharpener
    6. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Gifts for dad and DH - look for licorice puffs (Dollar Tree), cookbook. Fix laptop bag. Find a recipe for squash soup that looks good.
    8. Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Can poetry unit be condensed?
    9. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, Harvey Mansfield, or Robert Adams). Check on alternate translations for The Prince.

And the scale went up again this morning, too. :( I think some of it is TOM and some of it is water retention from lifting again after being away visiting family for about a week. Lemme tell you, it sure FEELS like something is going on in my shoulders... and my legs... and my back :P

why does exercise have to be SO HARD???
  • AJB1014
    Options

Aw i love all the stories, thanks for sharing - you too @clicketykeys! My dress came in so I guess ive gotta get serious! Planning for a backyard ceremony and luncheon in June...all I really need to do is book a tent for the yard, a local country store is going to make sandwiches, salads and cookies. I need to get serious about making arrangements - the stories have given me some inspiration!
  • karabobera
    karabobera Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    JFT January 6
    ...was kind of a bust, haha, I got overly stressed and kinda ate my feelings.

JFT January 7

Log everything I eat :)
    Stay in the green >:) (500 over!! dangit, Starbucks gift card...)
    Ran for 20 minutes :)
    Stairs and a short walk :)
    Fresh fruit and water instead of snacking on processed foods! :)
    Very mild strength training >:) (have too much hw right now... oops)

Love this thread! You can do it!!