Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Unpopular opinions

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Good point, Ann.

CICO is literally true, which means that if you are not losing or gaining CI=CO. So you know that cutting calories is needed to lose. This is why it makes no difference that we cannot be perfect in our counting.

My interpretation was that the poster was trying to claim that 100 cal of donuts might really be 300 cal for some person's body, and that's clearly wrong, but so far have not obtained clarification.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Fiber is unnecessary

But what if all we ate was steak sandwiches and we got constipated?

• newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Fiber is unnecessary

Then you would have a 20 lb bowel obstruction and your BMI would be invalid. Or something like that.

I know I think that really happened to me once and CICO couldn't even fix it.

• KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Fiber is unnecessary

Then you would have a 20 lb bowel obstruction and your BMI would be invalid. Or something like that.

That's what happens to me when I DO eat fiber. Have experienced 20+ pound obstructions before.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Food is not calories or nutrients, although it does have calories and nutrients. Looking at food through the narrow lens of nutrition exclusively misses a host of other purposes food usually serves. This can set people up for failure at best, and create disordered thinking patterns at worst.

^^This

I know this threads about disagreement but I believe this too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    leiflung wrote: »
    This seems like an exercise in confirmation bias.

What bias do you think I am confirming, even? If we came to basically the same conclusion, what bias do you perceive I have.
    The best you can do is apply this CICO for a while until you get to a calculated Ci and CO that results in weight loss, from there you shoot for precision, not accuracy.

Acknowledging this your caloric intake estimate is a maximum/worst case scenario, so while you may be correct, this information is largely irrelevant for the purpose of weight management.

Do you see the similarity? Do you see that we are coming to basically the same conclusion?
    Very few things outside of the abstract are true, precise, and constant.

I am saying that the way we measure the calories in food is nowhere near anything similar to the way the body processes the calories in food. Burning v. dissolving, it's not similar at all.

It is entirely possible that eating 100 calories of kale doesn't give you anywhere near the same calories that 100 calories of donuts gives you.

I'm not saying it's true. I'm saying it's very possible and nothing I've ever seen has convinced me this is NOT true.
    Acknowledging this your caloric intake estimate is a maximum/worst case scenario, so while you may be correct, this information is largely irrelevant for the purpose of weight management.

I'm not saying this as advice or anything. I'm sharing it only as an opinion that is unpopular. Because that's what this thread is about. I knew this one was super unpopular, I shared it, I got like 16 woo's confirming it's unpopular.

There couldn't be a more appropriate place for me to share this opinion.

It doesn't even make any sense to call it confirmation. The only thing I'm confirming is doubt, We don't know that 100 calories of kale is the same as 100 calories of donut. Because, FFS, we don't even really know that 100 calories of food is 100 calories.

Anything is possible, but do you have any particular reason to think that 100 calories of donut *isn't* 100 calories of donut? You can use the excuse of "anything is possible" to doubt everything. Before you know it, we're making sacrifices to the moon to prevent space babies from coming down and stealing our silverware.

None at all. I couldn't care less.

I just see people claim all the time that a calorie is a calorie and I always think, "You're talking out of your *kitten*." But I don't disagree because any time I do I'm beset by an angry mob. So it's just this unpopular opinion I had sitting in my pocket when this thread came up.

You don't have any reason to think that . . . so why are you arguing for it being possible?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My unpopular opinion....
    No one should do a single ab exercise until they learn how to properly engage their TVA (Transversus Abdominis) muscle...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Obsession with gluten, preservatives, GMOs, artificial sweeteners and vaccines is a symptom of a society where most legitimate health concerns that affect global health have been dealt with in that locality.

On the bright side this makes for some outstanding comedy/parody opportunities.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This seems like an exercise in confirmation bias.

What bias do you think I am confirming, even? If we came to basically the same conclusion, what bias do you perceive I have.
    The best you can do is apply this CICO for a while until you get to a calculated Ci and CO that results in weight loss, from there you shoot for precision, not accuracy.

Do you see the similarity? Do you see that we are coming to basically the same conclusion?
    Very few things outside of the abstract are true, precise, and constant.

I am saying that the way we measure the calories in food is nowhere near anything similar to the way the body processes the calories in food. Burning v. dissolving, it's not similar at all.

It is entirely possible that eating 100 calories of kale doesn't give you anywhere near the same calories that 100 calories of donuts gives you.

I'm not saying it's true. I'm saying it's very possible and nothing I've ever seen has convinced me this is NOT true.

I'm not saying this as advice or anything. I'm sharing it only as an opinion that is unpopular. Because that's what this thread is about. I knew this one was super unpopular, I shared it, I got like 16 woo's confirming it's unpopular.

There couldn't be a more appropriate place for me to share this opinion.

It doesn't even make any sense to call it confirmation. The only thing I'm confirming is doubt, We don't know that 100 calories of kale is the same as 100 calories of donut. Because, FFS, we don't even really know that 100 calories of food is 100 calories.

Anything is possible, but do you have any particular reason to think that 100 calories of donut *isn't* 100 calories of donut? You can use the excuse of "anything is possible" to doubt everything. Before you know it, we're making sacrifices to the moon to prevent space babies from coming down and stealing our silverware.

None at all. I couldn't care less.

I just see people claim all the time that a calorie is a calorie and I always think, "You're talking out of your *kitten*." But I don't disagree because any time I do I'm beset by an angry mob. So it's just this unpopular opinion I had sitting in my pocket when this thread came up.

People state a calorie is a calorie based upon the collective body of objective evidence.

Do you have objective evidence to the contrary? An opinion, having no basis in facts or reasoning, probably isn't the best means for disagreement.

I have never seen evidence that the human body can extract the same number of calories from 100 calories of X as it does from 100 calories of Y. As far as I know, we don't even know how many calories the body can extract from 100 calories of X much less compare it to Y.

And that is based entirely in facts and reality. I've never seen it. That's true.

I'm excited if there is an objective body of evidence. That interests me. I'm sure it isn't a secret so let's see it.

My point is, "AS FAR AS I KNOW, WE DON'T KNOW THAT."

What is so hard about saying, "We actually do know that. There have been some studies. Here they are."

This conversation is always so strange and weirdly contentious. Everybody telling me what I want to believe and that I'm biased and there's a secret body of evidence nobody has shared. It's baffling to me,

Not sure where you're perceiving anger. It appears you're asking the wrong questions and trapped in cognitive dissonance, hence the weird contention.

As your questions are unclear it is unclear which evidence to present. Specificity helps.

Humans digest food via a series of biochemical processes, breaking down matter into usable molecules each following a specific pathway. The energy usage and variations may be slightly different, but these variations are so small they are largely undetectable - beneath the degree of error of instrumentation. For the purpose of weight management this is useless.

Your senses may perceive food as different, but when it gets into your stomach this is all biology and chemistry - which does not know or care what the matter is.

Bravo!!!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I hate steak 🤢

giphy.gif
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I hate steak 🤢

giphy.gif

I dunno - I hated steak well into adulthood because growing up economically pinched the only steak we ever had was a pan-fried cheap cut that was so tough I could barely chew it. When I was finally introduced to a good cut of meat prepared properly I was converted, but honestly, I wouldn't even have tried it without a lot of persuasion.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I hate steak 🤢

giphy.gif

I dunno - I hated steak well into adulthood because growing up economically pinched the only steak we ever had was a pan-fried cheap cut that was so tough I could barely chew it. When I was finally introduced to a good cut of meat prepared properly I was converted, but honestly, I wouldn't even have tried it without a lot of persuasion.

I had that same experience when I was a kid. Chuck steak was tougher than a boiled owl.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I hate steak 🤢

giphy.gif

I had that same experience when I was a kid. Chuck steak was tougher than a boiled owl.

:open_mouth: