Question about activity level

Options
In furtherance to my earlier thread I now have a question about activity level.

Currently I have this set to active. I work as an Account Manager (desk job 9-5;30 mon-fri), but I walk to/from work (30 mins each way so 1hr). Besides that’s there’s normal household chores etc, and in addition to that the daily 2 hour cardio that I do at the gym.

Would you say that falls under the Active bracket?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your activity level in MFP doesn't include purposeful exercise.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Your activity level is intended to be your average day-to-day stuff. Purposeful exercise is intended to be logged separately and the calories eaten back.
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
  • try2again
    Options
    Wait... what? 2 hours of cardio daily? Are you training for an event?
  • try2again
    Options
    Sounds like you should choose the sedentary category rather than active. That computation is trying to determine your BMR, the baseline to recommend how many calories your body needs if you just laid still for 24 hours, if you say you have an active job and it changes that BMR then you might end up consuming more calories than you should as a result.

Sedentary is not the same as BMR. It includes up to 5000 steps a day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should choose the sedentary category rather than active. That computation is trying to determine your BMR, the baseline to recommend how many calories your body needs if you just laid still for 24 hours, if you say you have an active job and it changes that BMR then you might end up consuming more calories than you should as a result.

Disagree. The calculation is trying to determine NEAT, not BMR.

The walk to from work should be considered as should other normal activities. Only the purposeful exercise is not counted, but added back when done. At least the way MFP does the calculation.

I'd guess lightly active to active. If you don't lose as expected at the active level, reduce it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you want to roll up exercise into your activity level, you should use a TDEE calculator and customize your calorie target here. A TDEE calculator will use a different algorithm to include your exercise.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator where your activity level is your day to day where purposeful exercise is accounted for when you log it after the fact and get additional calories.

If you want to use the MFP method, I'd probably pick light active or whatever the one right above sedentary is since walking is part of your daily commute. If you want to include exercise in your activity level and calorie target, use a TDEE calculator and manually customize your target here.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    I would say yes.

Your walking to and from work IS part of your daily activity, so is all the walking around you do at work.

Leave it at Active for two months while you log food as accurately as possible every day. At the end of that two months you'll know within a couple hundred calories (the margin of error) exactly where you need to be calorie-wise.

As an example, I am retired and live in a tiny condo so not much daily activity is in my day. I used to be set at Sedentary, because I truly believed I was sedentary. I logged my exercise and ate back those calories too. But the Sedentary setting is way too low for me. In order to get the results I expect (as reflected in the numbers I collected) I need to be set at Active.

I'm not by any definition "active." But by doing the experiment I dialed it in. The activity levels are a starting point. You still have to run the experiment on yourself, like we all do. Some people will have the complete opposite results and may have to eat a bit less, or not eat all the exercise calories.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I would say lightly active. I have a similar job, with a walking commute, but my phone/Watch track that walk as exercise because I do a fairly aggressive pace. But what doesn't get tracked is my walking around the building, or doing shorter errands.

Unless you're doing a Cinderella clean of your house every night, that's not going to burn as many calories as you think it does.

It does NOT include your other cardio.
  • julielunk94
    julielunk94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you want to roll up exercise into your activity level, you should use a TDEE calculator and customize your calorie target here. A TDEE calculator will use a different algorithm to include your exercise.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator where your activity level is your day to day where purposeful exercise is accounted for when you log it after the fact and get additional calories.

If you want to use the MFP method, I'd probably pick light active or whatever the one right above sedentary is since walking is part of your daily commute. If you want to include exercise in your activity level and calorie target, use a TDEE calculator and manually customize your target here.

Yep I already have used a TDEE calculator but I think it seems a bit high (see below):
    tuuohf6e349f.png

• julielunk94
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Wait... what? 2 hours of cardio daily? Are you training for an event?

No not at all, I just enjoy doing it. I find it really satisfying. Exercising isn't a problem for me, rather calorie limitation is what I need to improve upon.
  • julielunk94
    Options
    Would you eat back the calories that you have burned during purposeful exercise? I thought the purpose of exercising was to not eat back the calories..? If I need educating please do so .
  • julielunk94
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Sedentary is not the same as BMR. It includes up to 5000 steps a day.

I clock on average 16,000-18,000 steps per day (that's not including anything I do in the gym)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Would you eat back the calories that you have burned during purposeful exercise? I thought the purpose of exercising was to not eat back the calories..? If I need educating please do so .

With how MFP structures, yes, because the exercise is not included in your daily baseline.

If you use TDEE like the calculator you posted, then you do not eat them back because it is included.

You need to fuel your activity to workout effectively.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Using MFP as it is designed, yes you eat back your exercise calories. Your reasonable deficit is already calculated in your calorie goal, excluding exercise. So, for 1 lb a week you have a 500 cal deficit. If you exercise and don't eat those calories back, you will move from a reasonable loss rate to what could be too aggressive a loss for your weight and how much you need to lose.

But if you use a TDEE calculator, then you include your exercise in the initial calorie goal so you don't eat them back.

So, MFP using NEAT might give you a goal of 1500 cals plus you earn 250 in exercise. For the same overall activity, a TDEE calculator should give you 1750 cals (all things being equal) and you don't eat the exercise calories back.

2 ways to skin the cat (or shrink the fat).
  • try2again
    edited January 2019
    Options

Yep I already have used a TDEE calculator but I think it seems a bit high (see below):

Honestly, I think the estimate seems low, considering you are already considered "active" and are adding in 2 hours of daily cardio on top of it. No way to know for sure except to pick a method and stick with it for 4-6 weeks and see how your real-life results compare.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

tuuohf6e349f.png

Why does it seem high?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Again, this depends on the method.

With MFP, exercise isn't included in your activity level and thus isn't accounted for in your weight loss calorie target. Doing a bunch of exercise like 2 hours of cardio on top of what is already a deficit is just going to make that deficit bigger, and often too big for healthy and safe weight loss.

With a TDEE calculator, you include exercise and thus additional calories are included in your weight loss target.

Either way, you are "eating back" or otherwise accounting for exercise activity.

As an example...if I use MFP to lose 1 Lb per week I'll get a calorie target of around 2,000 given that my non exercise maintenance calories are around 2500. If I go on a two hour bike ride I'll burn in the neighborhood of 900 to 1000 calories. If I ate 2,000 and burned off 1,000 I would have a net intake of 1,000 calories which would essentially be the same thing as eating 1,000 calories which no adult male has any business doing.

As it is, my rides are usually about an hour and I burn around 450-500 calories in that time...so if I ate back those 500 calories on top of my 2,000 I would eat a total of 2500 calories...but I'd still lose 1 Lb per week because my maintenance calories without exercise go from 2500 to 3000 calories with exercise...so I still have a 500 calorie deficit.

If I use a TDEE calculator and include my regular exercise in my activity level I get right around 3000 calories as my maintenance...so I would just eat 2500 to be in a 1 Lb per week deficit.

6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

The trick is accurately estimating your activity level. Things like "strenuous" are subjective...and there's a pretty big range of hours from 7-21. It's something you have to tinker with and be as honest with yourself as you can be. Is it really "strenuous" or is it just difficult for you...one person's "strenuous" is another persons "easy"...that's why it's subjective.
  • julielunk94
    Options

tuuohf6e349f.png

Why does it seem high?

Because it tells me that if I wanted to maintain my current weight to have 3,454 calories per day. If I take away 500 that's still 2,954. It then also says the amount of calories to reach my goal should be 2,763 calories per day. The dietitian I saw told me to stick to eating within a range of 1500-1800 per day (although she's fully aware of the amount of exercise I do). Either she's wrong, or the TDEE calculator is overestimating.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

tuuohf6e349f.png

Why does it seem high?

Because it tells me that if I wanted to maintain my current weight to have 3,454 calories per day. If I take away 500 that's still 2,954. It then also says the amount of calories to reach my goal should be 2,763 calories per day. The dietitian I saw told me to stick to eating within a range of 1500-1800 per day (although she's fully aware of the amount of exercise I do). Either she's wrong, or the TDEE calculator is overestimating.

As I said in your other thread, pick one, I'd suggest the higher one, and try it for 6 weeks.

All these calculators are estimates, the dietician is estimating, get some real life numbers if you want a better idea of your calories.