Treadmill Running vs. Actual Running

Replies

• 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    So much genuinely nice and helpful information! You MFP'ers rock! Thank you for the words of wisdom...and honestly feel as though I can do it! Sure, it won't be pretty, but I'll get it done and enjoy the adventure :blush:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    4bugsmama wrote: »
    So much genuinely nice and helpful information! You MFP'ers rock! Thank you for the words of wisdom...and honestly feel as though I can do it! Sure, it won't be pretty, but I'll get it done and enjoy the adventure :blush:

Check back in and let us know how it goes!
  • 4bugsmama

Check back in and let us know how it goes!

I will do that! I may not get this run done today, but I am determined to do it soon! Thanks!
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    I run on treadmill in the fall and winter. I have done it for about 7 years. I kinda like it and I know I can always run . In the spring and summer I ride bike. The thread mill can be hard on your knees . It makes you keep pace as well..good luck!! Ps I am on my 3ed one B)
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    I work a whole different set of muscles when running outside...I feel it's more effective. I definitely like it more, when push comes to shove I consider the tread better than nothing
  • 4bugsmama
    @Ralphone & @Mike1804 I will definitely keep the treadmill around, it has been my go-to for many years. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm slowly realizing that this working out thing is an ever-changing task. And I'm excited to see where I end up!
  • 4bugsmama
    @Tacklewasher you sound very professional at this running thing! It will take me awhile to get to your level, but thank you for the image of things to come :smile:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I started my running on the TM because I was embarassed to run outside. After I finished C25k, I began running outside and was shocked at how much harder it felt. After a couple of weeks, I got used to the different surface and varying inclines and it felt easier than running on the TM. I do most of my running outside now, but I'll still use the TM if it's raining, icy, or really hot and humid. I'm faster outside and enjoy it more, but I'm very happy to have the TM when I need it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I like both. With my current treadmill, it is a lot easier to run outside. I think my hand me down treadmill is always at an incline, even at the lowest point, because it is really hard for me to run a full 5K without needing to walk. I thought I was just sucking at life when I started running on it. But then on my first run outside after getting it, I felt so energetic and ran that 5k so quickly that I immediately knew something was up with the treadmill.
    @MonkeyMel21 - I had this issue with my TM. I fixed it by pushing it up to the maximum incline then, after a minute or two, zeroing it out again. That fixed it.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    @Ralphone & @Mike1804 I will definitely keep the treadmill around, it has been my go-to for many years. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm slowly realizing that this working out thing is an ever-changing task. And I'm excited to see where I end up!

Poorer. :)

Yeah, just buy shoes and run they said.

Oh you need good shoes. At least $100. Plus need trail shoes. And they wear out in 3-6 months so need a backup pair when I find a sale.
    You should sign up for a race. Budget is ~$500 this year. Not including travel costs.
    Gotta train in the winter. So either a treadmill or a gym membership. Should lift too so gym membership. $60 / month (cuz I can't lift heavy at PF).
    Need running tights. Need compression shirts (I hope to not need these when I lose my belly). I don't need them, but sports bras or those things go flopping all over the place.
    Join the local running club (another $35).
    Running at night so headlight, light up thingy so cars can see me.
    *kitten*. Wife is getting into it as well. More shoes, shirts, bras, tights
    Oh, and a fitness watch. Hey look at this new one on sale. Hey wife, have my old one and I'll get this one.

Oh, now that I can run let's take up cross country skiing for fun. Just dropped $700 on a new set of things.

About the only thing saving my wallet is I spend way less on fast food and eating out for lunch than I used to.

@Tacklewasher you know if you just ran on the treadmill, you wouldn't need trail shoes. Or the headlight. Just sayin'. ;)

Me personally, running is dull either way. Headphones definitely help. On a treadmill, I can run faster and further before hating life and the universe.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Poorer. :)

Yeah, just buy shoes and run they said.

Oh you need good shoes. At least $100. Plus need trail shoes. And they wear out in 3-6 months so need a backup pair when I find a sale.
    You should sign up for a race. Budget is ~$500 this year. Not including travel costs.
    Gotta train in the winter. So either a treadmill or a gym membership. Should lift too so gym membership. $60 / month (cuz I can't lift heavy at PF).
    Need running tights. Need compression shirts (I hope to not need these when I lose my belly). I don't need them, but sports bras or those things go flopping all over the place.
    Join the local running club (another $35).
    Running at night so headlight, light up thingy so cars can see me.
    *kitten*. Wife is getting into it as well. More shoes, shirts, bras, tights
    Oh, and a fitness watch. Hey look at this new one on sale. Hey wife, have my old one and I'll get this one.

Oh, now that I can run let's take up cross country skiing for fun. Just dropped $700 on a new set of things.

About the only thing saving my wallet is I spend way less on fast food and eating out for lunch than I used to.

@Tacklewasher you know if you just ran on the treadmill, you wouldn't need trail shoes. Or the headlight. Just sayin'. ;)

Me personally, running is dull either way. Headphones definitely help. On a treadmill, I can run faster and further before hating life and the universe.

Oh, right. I forgot the damn earbuds I bought. Plus the pair I bought for my wife. Plus the three pairs of headphones I bought and didn't like before finding ones that stay in my damn ears.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Easier outside. Because running is so mental.
  • 4bugsmama
    As I'm reading all the comments I'm gearing up for my 3:30 AM TM run and hopefully an outside run over the weekend. I'd do it during the week but because of my commute I get home too late for that. Either way, I'm committing to the outdoor run and get a feel for the difference 😎🏃‍♀️👟
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    For me, there's nothing better than running outside. I just love the feeling of being free to run wherever I want. I'm lucky as I live in California and even during the winter, I can still run outdoors.

However, I do have a treadmill for when it's too stormy outside. And right now it's coming in very handy as I injured my knee a little over a week ago and right now, the impact of the road is a bit too much for it. I was finally able to run 3 miles tonight on the treadmill, for which I'm very grateful.

As everyone said, the treadmill is definitely less impact. It's really all about what works best for you!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    As I'm reading all the comments I'm gearing up for my 3:30 AM TM run and hopefully an outside run over the weekend. I'd do it during the week but because of my commute I get home too late for that. Either way, I'm committing to the outdoor run and get a feel for the difference 😎🏃‍♀️👟

Awesome!!! Just take it slow. You'll be landing differently and using muscles in a different way. It takes time for your body to get used to it. Don't be in a hurry.

FWIW - The ONLY things that stop me from running outside are ice and lightning. I can deal with everything else with proper attire.

Good luck.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    In my faster running olden days, I did a ton of treadmill running work. I did so at 1 percent incline. My experience when hitting the pavement in a fun run, I was able to replicate my best treadmill running speed. Using the treadmill for interval workouts really helped me train to run faster. The ramp up precision it offers is hard to do on the street or on a track using your perception.

Good luck and train smart.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    From my experience, I found running on the treadmill quite comfortable and relatively easy ... and running outside noticeably more difficult.

I got up so that I could run for nearly an hour on a treadmill and felt great ... then I went outside and absolutely slogged my way through about 15 or 20 minutes outside.