Protein Powder: Worth the Calories or Not Worth the Hype

Options

Replies

• BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love 365 (Whole Foods) Chocolate Whey. Just add crushed ice and cold water.......blend with an immersion blade, and consume. Tastes like a milkshake to me
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hexapro here. Generally as a post-workout drink in the mornings so I can otherwise IF my way into the afternoon. And sometimes as a late day protein boost if I need to get my macros better lined up.

It's awesome as a frozen-fruit smoothie.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    ekkk1118 wrote: »
    I use sprouts bulk whey isolate protein. 190 calories for 50g. Some may think it's a little pricey at $11-$12 per lb, but it doesn't have all the crap in it like sugar and such. On sale at sprouts near me for $9.99 per lbs until 7/26/17

But what does it taste like?!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Hey, @MoHousdon, your thread was raised from the dead! :D

ag2073izgbxl.gif

I almost forgot about this!!!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    I still am drinking Hexapro chocolate peanut butter almost daily. #noregrets

@quiksylver296
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I still am drinking Hexapro chocolate peanut butter almost daily. #noregrets

@quiksylver296

Hahahaaa! Nice bump.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you tried PEScience? Super tasty protein.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I think I may have tried their chocolate or something and I just thought it was meh. It's been so long though, I honestly don't really remember.

One of the fitness couples I follow on IG are PEScience athletes. The have discount codes, so maybe I should give something new a try.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I think I may have tried their chocolate or something and I just thought it was meh. It's been so long though, I honestly don't really remember.

One of the fitness couples I follow on IG are PEScience athletes. The have discount codes, so maybe I should give something new a try.

Any chance that is Jeff Nippard and Stephanie Buttermore?
  • MoHousdon
    Options

Nope. Aubrie and Brad Bromlow. They're also on MFP.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you have a Complete Nutrition near you, I think they all offer a sampling bar to try anything they sell.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Cool. I don't know them. But the nice thing about PEScience is that you can get a bunch of samples.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I LOVE syntha6 vanilla ice cream flavor. I haven't branched out into flavors other than vanilla yet, but love it.

When I don't drink it straight with milk, I put it in a blender with milk and a frozen banana and pumpkin puree with some cinnamon- boom, pumpkin spice milkshake for breakfast for ~300ish calories.

@CupcakeCrusoe try their cookies 'n' cream flavor. It's delicious!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    If you have a Complete Nutrition near you, I think they all offer a sampling bar to try anything they sell.

That's where I buy my BCAA's! I LOVE their Uptake!

I have sampled a few different protein powders from there and I didn't like any of them.
  • MoHousdon
    Options

Cool. I don't know them. But the nice thing about PEScience is that you can get a bunch of samples.

I DO like samples. :lol:
  • psuLemon
    Options

That's where I buy my BCAA's! I LOVE their Uptake!

I have sampled a few different protein powders from there and I didn't like any of them.

You do know there really isn't a benefit to BCAAs right? It's essentially a water enhancer.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Personally, hate it. I have never found one that tastes good. I get around 60-70g protein a day from food alone
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Personally, hate it. I have never found one that tastes good. I get around 60-70g protein a day from food alone

Ditto. I liked them when I started losing and was severely restricting myself, but now I find that they all have a bad aftertaste, and they are not filling at all.
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a tub of Isopure Apple Pie and Strawberry & Cream flavor, both good.
    Also tried a sample of bodytech cinnamon cereal, don't know the nutrition behind the sample but very tasty.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »

I'm trying to hit 150, so the powder helps. I like the stuff Costco sells. Kaizen chocolate. Adding it to 1% milk gets me 50g before I even move for the day.