Peanut butter - again

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
How do you fit it into your diet in a calorie sane way? I don't particularly like it, but have been having a bit of sugar free whole earth stuff, I like the crunch, but it has about 1000 calories per spoonful. Seriously. How does anyone on a reasonably low intake (I am on 1360 calls a day to lose the bare minimum of weight - half a lb a week if that) manage to ever eat it and not either go over on calories or under on nutrition? It is insanely calorific.

Even on the days I run, I only burn about 500 cals on a 50 minute run. I still can't eat it without going over, or being hungry when I run out of allowed calories.

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    get the soy butter kind....its 170 calories for 2 spoonfuls, and it tastes the same as peanut butter, but there is no crunch (its called I.M. Healthy Soy butter, they sell it at Stop and Shop)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter I buy is 80 calories for 1 tablespoon (15g).
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have you tried almond butter. it tastes a little different but it's much lower in calories.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I just got these fibre 1 bars today that are soooo yummy.
    They're peanut butter and chocolate and are only 100 cals!
  • g8rlex
    g8rlex Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    just budget it into your daily calories... I start most days with a Nutrigran Eggo Waffle with a tbs of whipped peanut butter for breakfast and my daily intake is 1280 without exercise. 1 tbs of Peter Pan whipped is 75 cals.
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

same here
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Was that an exaggeration? It should be around 80-110 calories per tablespoon.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    My organic almond butter is the same as my peanut butter in calories. Maybe I need to try a different brand. I have it on an english muffin with a side of sliced strawberries for breakfast.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have never seen peanut butter with that many calories!
  • fteale
    Options

Mine is 90 cals per 15g But the jar is 454g, and looks tiny, so I know my spoonfuls are bigger than 15g. There's no way I would get 30 tablespoons out of a jar. Not a chance.
  • megansmom311
    Options
    I eat 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter every morning with an apple for breakfast. It's worth the calories! :smile:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I fit it in fine lol. I fit in 3tbs LOL. Just use FF stuff during that day..?
  • fteale
    Options
    Was that an exaggeration? It should be around 80-110 calories per tablespoon.

Of course it was an exaggeration! But my point still holds.
  • fteale
    Options
    My point is, how do you afford 80-100 cals of mostly pointless every day? Or most days? I buy Whole Earth as it's organic and pure peanut, no sugar, but it is seriously calorie dense. Surely the sugary stuff is even worse, and yet I see people here eating it every day.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see! You aren't looking for advice! You are wanting to know why the heck people WASTE their cals on foods they like to eat that also happen to be healthy. Now I understand.
  • fteale
    Options
    Oh, I see! You aren't looking for advice! You are wanting to know why the heck people WASTE their cals on foods they like to eat that also happen to be healthy. Now I understand.

Not really. I don't happen to think peanut butter IS healthy, but that's irrelevant. I do want to know how people manage to fit it into their diet and not find themselves hungry because it uses up a lot of calories. I know if I eat it I have to make sure I have a meal of almost entirely green vegetables to fill me up while not adding significant calories that same day, or I am really hungry staying within my calorie limit.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't think 80 calories is a lot and I find peanut butter to be fairly filling and satisfying. A piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter is far more satisfying than a piece of toast with jam, for example.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Not really. I don't happen to think peanut butter IS healthy, but that's irrelevant. I do want to know how people manage to fit it into their diet and not find themselves hungry because it uses up a lot of calories. I know if I eat it I have to make sure I have a meal of almost entirely green vegetables to fill me up while not adding significant calories that same day, or I am really hungry staying within my calorie limit.

If you get the unsalted kind...it is pretty healthy in sparing amounts.

Check this out if you want to read it's benefits from Livestrong.com
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/245438-health-benefits-of-peanut-butter/
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i eat peanut butter almost everyday and im still losing weight :)
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    i think it is according to what you, like I love peanut butter, so to me 80- 120 calories is not a waste. If you dont like it much then yeah i guess it would be a problem to get it in if youd rather eat something else. It is a matter of taste..what you like. I make it fit because it is good to me and filling.