Is it normal to feel a bit tired/fatigued every day??

I work out 4-5 times a week (M-F) for about an hour each day. 2 days I work with a personal trainer and he usually does strength. The other 2 or 3 I take classes that are a mix of cardio and strength. I definitely feel like I go all out every day, but every morning I feel generally tired. Not DOMS sore but just sluggish and tired from the previous days workout.

Is this normal? Should I continue to just push through like I've been doing for the past few months now or is it better to work out 3 days a week (with a day rest in between)?

I feel "off" on days I'm not exercising, bc I know if I just go in and do it, I'll get it done and feel good afterwards, but I also want to optimize how I'm exercising.

I guess the question is - is it better to be at 70% for 5 days is worse than being at 100% for 3 days? Is it normal to be dragging yourself into the gym every day?

Replies

• DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    I can't answer your question with any medical or scientific authority -- but personally, I think it's better to go 3 days a week at 100% for a while and then bump it back up to 4 days a week when you're feeling better. You don't want to get sick because that would derail you completely. Better to listen to your body and get the rest you need.
  • ldigeorge
    ldigeorge Posts: 99 Member
    Question: How active are you throughout the rest of the day? I tend to find that the more active I am throughout the day, the less tired/fatigued I feel. I also sleep longer and better at night, according to my fitbit.

Are you 100% at the gym and then sedentary for the rest?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    What do you mean by "normal"?

I don't think it's unreasonable or surprising that someone who works out 4-5 days per week at a relatively high intensity would feel tired/fatigued. These feelings would only be exacerbated by poor nutrition, a calorie deficit, stress, inadequate sleep, etc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    How much are you eating? Are you eating low carb?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    how is your nutrition? how is your sleep?
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    ldigeorge wrote: »
    Question: How active are you throughout the rest of the day? I tend to find that the more active I am throughout the day, the less tired/fatigued I feel. I also sleep longer and better at night, according to my fitbit.

Are you 100% at the gym and then sedentary for the rest?

I have a desk job, so essentially, I do nothing for the rest of the day.
  • Jambalady
    How much are you eating? Are you eating low carb?

I'm only 5 feet. I try to eat under 1600 a day, but realistically it's probably closer to 1800.

I'm good in the morning and afternoon, but evenings making dinner for the kids kills me. I usually have an egg white omelete with veggies, turkey and feta in the morning and a protein shake with PB, spinach, banana in the afternoon and then snacks. Dinner is a fiasco!
  • Jambalady
    how is your nutrition? how is your sleep?

Sleep is ok. I get 6-7 hours a night. Wish I could get more and I'm trying to go to sleep earlier but it's hard with the kids and getting home late from work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What are you training for that you're going 'all out' each workout?
  • Jambalady
    "Kids"? I think I found your answer. You're a mom. ;)

I'm always tired. I say it's just my constant state of being.

That's definitely a big part of the equation!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    Waking up refreshed in the morning from the previous day is the name of the game, but when you factor in all things life brings I think noticing unusual fatigue is something to pay attention to. Have any other symptoms like headache, dizziness, off balance/brain fog or anything else that might seem off even if really mild. If nothing else, might just need some good ole recovery/rest, its important mentally and physically. I say no to pushing through and listen to what things are telling you.

Just some food for thought: I would pay attention to how much performance issues are you having and how this affects the rest of your day (days being more hectic, stressful, etc..). If you are a normal menstruating woman is anything you feel related to your cycle?

Eating right for your exercise, weight goals and having ample energy for the rest of your day is important as does the amount of sleep and sleep quality matters but it looks like you are getting ample for your lifestyle? The things you can control are the exercise, recovery days and your nutrition if these don't resolve it then might look into making a doctor appoint.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    So I suspect part of it is having kids but a separate issue is essentially training stress. Going all out five days a week seems like a recipe for overtraining. That's part of why any good plan (at least in regards to cardio based activities (cycling, running, etc) have days that are less intense and sometimes an entire week that is lower intensity in addition.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    So I suspect part of it is having kids but a separate issue is essentially training stress. Going all out five days a week seems like a recipe for overtraining. That's part of why any good plan (at least in regards to cardio based activities (cycling, running, etc) have days that are less intense and sometimes an entire week that is lower intensity in addition.

Most reputable strength training programs do too... heavier and lighter days and/or days of higher/lower volume. Nevermind off days, deloads, etc.

Going all out every time is rarely, if ever, an ideal scenario.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    I also recommend making sure you’re drinking enough water. Perhaps you are dehydrated and you need more water than you thought?

If it doesn’t resolve, see a doctor to rule out thyroid, etc. good luck and feel better!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Is it normal to feel a bit tired/fatigued every day??

I can't even imagine a day where I don't feel that way anymore!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Sounds like fatigue to me and the fix for that is generally to rest and do less.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    hollyhom wrote: »
    I work out 4-5 times a week (M-F) for about an hour each day. 2 days I work with a personal trainer and he usually does strength. The other 2 or 3 I take classes that are a mix of cardio and strength. I definitely feel like I go all out every day, but every morning I feel generally tired. Not DOMS sore but just sluggish and tired from the previous days workout.

Is this normal? Should I continue to just push through like I've been doing for the past few months now or is it better to work out 3 days a week (with a day rest in between)?

I feel "off" on days I'm not exercising, bc I know if I just go in and do it, I'll get it done and feel good afterwards, but I also want to optimize how I'm exercising.

I guess the question is - is it better to be at 70% for 5 days is worse than being at 100% for 3 days? Is it normal to be dragging yourself into the gym every day?

There's not a training plan in the world that would have you going "all out" every day which may be why you're feeling overly fatigued. (it could also be diet and/or sleep) You needen't forego working out every day but should probably have a day or two each week where you're going at a much lower intensity to allow for adequate recovery.

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    This is my experience - going all out every workout leads to burnout and not achieving your goals. When I look back into the past I was guilty of this. "Ya gotta work hard" says your brain. Um - no. I find that I need a couple of really HARD workouts per week. Maybe a HIIT workout on Tuesday and a really long run or ride on the weekend. That doesn't mean I don't workout in the middle - I just keep to low intensities. Stress your body - then give it time to recover. Train like a puppy - have you ever watched puppies? Run, run, run, run, - collapse - sleep.... Then wake up and run, run, run, - collapse - sleep. They work hard, then recover. Plus, naps are good :smile: