First Day on MFP

Options
Hello, my name is Mark and I am currently 340 pounds. I am 43 and have been overweight since I graduated high school and stopped playing sports. It never bothered me much as I was still able to do the things I love: hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, farming. However, when I reached 40 I really started to feel the "extra" weight and I realized you don't see many 300+ pound 70 years old. I feel I have worked pretty hard to this point in my life and I want to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor in later life.

I joined MFP to help me understand the nutrition part of losing weight. I needed something to help me track the amount of food I am eating and get ideas on more healthy eating.

Replies

• CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I've been here about 3 months or so now.
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good luck Mark, I'm sure you will do just great here
  • dmb2805dmb
    dmb2805dmb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck Mark it works
  • simpsonsfantoo
    simpsonsfantoo Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Welcome. :)

Do know that MFP has been very glitchy in recent days due to the influx of newcomers... please don't get frustrated. Hang in there and in a few weeks & it will get better.

Here are a few links that will give you some valuable info for getting started. Remember a couple of things- don't try to overhaul your entire diet overnight and don't try to lose too fast. This is going to take a long time, so sustainability is the key:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ^ This. So true.

Also, feel free to add me for support!
  • uglydogfarmer
    uglydogfarmer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support.

Thanks to simpsonsfantoo for pointing out that it is currently has some glitches. There were some frustrating moments today trying to lookup food.
  • Savagawea
    Savagawea Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there! If you want an accountability buddy, feel free to add me
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support.

Thanks to simpsonsfantoo for pointing out that it is currently has some glitches. There were some frustrating moments today trying to lookup food.

Sorry to say, it's gotten worse:

Known issue: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2965822-myfitnesspal-app-and-site-down

MyFitnessPal App and Site Down

Wednesday, January 9th, 2019, 6:14pm PST

Hello,

Starting at 3pm on Wednesday we began seeing elevated errors across the MyFitnessPal program. To our members this may look like a variety of symptoms. These symptoms include, but are not limited to the following: login, sync, Fitbit sync, challenges, user search, database search, food/exercise/weight logging, and partial or no data loading when viewing your account.

We are actively investigating and will have things resolved as soon as possible. Our apologies for the frustration.

We will continue to update this article as more information becomes available. Please check back for further updates.

Best,

MyFitnessPal Staff

You can stay up-to-date by going to the help desk (assuming we can still access it ;) )