Sushi

Options
2»

Replies

• gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There is a sushi place by me that has a couple of rice less rolls where they use paper thin slices of radish to wrap with. I usually will do that, sashimi or a poke bowl.
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I ended up going over on calories I think, but I had 1/2 of a sweet potato roll, 1/2 of a crab roll, 1/2 of this special roll called cherry blossom, and a few bites of noodles. (literally like 3-4). My friend and I shared a few rolls, but I eat a lot slower than her, so I'm not sure which one of us ate more..
  • shawnt85
    shawnt85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Poke bowl is more controllable cause you are in charge of what and how much. Taste just like a sushi roll just deconstructed in a bowl.

I second this. You can also have a salad base of your poke bowl or even a rice/salad base.

I usually omit the sauce or go light
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sushi is rice. Sashimi is raw fish. I'm not sure what you want because rice is what they feed the sumos
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    mywayroche wrote: »
    Sushi is rice. Sashimi is raw fish. I'm not sure what you want because rice is what they feed the sumos

Ghandi ate rice too, so I'm not sure your point. (https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/life-style/mahatma-gandhi-diet-nutrition-food-health-5381676/)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I'm thinking voice recognition/auto correct issues on that last bit..probably was supposed to be something along the lines of "rice is what makes it sushi" or "rice is what fills the sushi" or similar.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »

I'm thinking voice recognition/auto correct issues on that last bit..probably was supposed to be something along the lines of "rice is what makes it sushi" or "rice is what fills the sushi" or similar.

I will say, that no auto correct was used there. Whats missing is "wrestlers" in the end of that sentence. What he poster is implying is that rice will cause you gain weight.

Which is pretty silly because sumos maintain their fighting weight by a deliberate choice to eat up to 20,000 calories a day. Rice is included in those calories because they're Japanese, where the cultural diet includes rice and just about everyone eats it. The country overall has a lower obesity rate than the US.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I will say, that no auto correct was used there. Whats missing is "wrestlers" in the end of that sentence. What he poster is implying is that rice will cause you gain weight.

I figured they were nitpicking the terminology used above by others (as in removing the rice from sushi and still calling it sushi).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I generally go with soup, salad, and chirashi and then only eat a couple bites of rice...the rice is just filler, if you fill up on soup, salad and sashimi, then there's no reason to eat all the rice if it doesn't meet your goals.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Which is pretty silly because sumos maintain their fighting weight by a deliberate choice to eat up to 20,000 calories a day. Rice is included in those calories because they're Japanese, where the cultural diet includes rice and just about everyone eats it. The country overall has a lower obesity rate than the US.

Yeah, but you're bringing logic into this... ::headdesk::

I mean, heaven forbid we not make rice and carbs the devil.