Getting your macros in on Keto

I planning to start Keto next month. It is difficult for me because I usually eat leaner cuts of meat. I dont eat a lot of fat. How do you manage to meet your fat micro on Keto? (Any snacks and recipes and advice ) thanks

Replies

• worldinplace
    worldinplace Posts: 19 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I planning to start Keto next month. It is difficult for me because I usually eat leaner cuts of meat. I dont eat a lot of fat. How do you manage to meet your fat micro on Keto? (Any snacks and recipes and advice ) thanks

Don't worry about fats. Worry about net carbs, protein and sodium. You don't get extra points forore fat.

Usually I eat 2 pan fried eggs with turkey bacon and avocado. In the evening, I eat fish or salmon with brussel sprouts and broccoli. My carbs are usually low. I'm little concerned about fat. Any tips? In a day my fat is usually in the 70's
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    You are doing well. Dont eat fat just to eat more fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I agree. You probably want to get enough protein (often 100g+), keep carbs low enough, and then use fat to satiety.

Keto is just low carb. The fat does not need to be high, but chances are it will be your largest calorie amount. There is 9 calories for every 1 g of fat. If you eat 70-80g of fat, that is 630-720 calories.

If you eat 150g of protein, that's 600 calories (1g protein or carbs is 4 calories).... Are you getting enough calories in total? For men the minimum recommended is about 1500 calories.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    If your fat is in the 70's, then you are dead on target.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Don't worry about fats. Worry about net carbs, protein and sodium. You don't get extra points forore fat.

Usually I eat 2 pan fried eggs with turkey bacon and avocado. In the evening, I eat fish or salmon with brussel sprouts and broccoli. My carbs are usually low. I'm little concerned about fat. Any tips? In a day my fat is usually in the 70's

I'd worry more about calories than fat, since keto can kill appetite. Are you eating really low?

Breakfast sounds pretty high fat (although why turkey bacon vs. bacon? I hope it's just a taste preference).

If the only other meal is the evening one with fish and veg, I do think your calories are likely too low. Eat nuts or more avocado or some cheese. Or add some dressing with olive oil or avocado oil to your veg.

What are your overall numbers?
  • worldinplace
    edited January 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Usually I eat 2 pan fried eggs with turkey bacon and avocado. In the evening, I eat fish or salmon with brussel sprouts and broccoli. My carbs are usually lhe iow. I'm little concerned about fat. Any tips? In a day my fat is usually in the 70's

I'd worry more about calories than fat, since keto can kill appetite. Are you eating really low?

Breakfast sounds pretty high fat (although why turkey bacon vs. bacon? I hope it's just a taste preference).

If the only other meal is the evening one with fish and veg, I do think your calories are likely too low. Eat nuts or more avocado or some cheese. Or add some dressing with olive oil or avocado oil to your veg.

Thanks for the advice
    What do you mean when you say overall numbers?

I used the keto calculator on keto gains
    Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

I'm trying keto dishes to see what I like before I start. I'm going to eat some pork rinds and pecans as a snack.
  • worldinplace
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I agree. You probably want to get enough protein (often 100g+), keep carbs low enough, and then use fat to satiety.

Keto is just low carb. The fat does not need to be high, but chances are it will be your largest calorie amount. There is 9 calories for every 1 g of fat. If you eat 70-80g of fat, that is 630-720 calories.

If you eat 150g of protein, that's 600 calories (1g protein or carbs is 4 calories).... Are you getting enough calories in total? For men the minimum recommended is about 1500 calories.

What do you usually eat for lunch and dinner. Im just trying to get some ideas.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

I'm trying keto dishes to see what I like before I start. I'm going to eat some pork rinds and pecans as a snack.

Overall numbers, I just meant total calories plus the macros you were actually hitting. If I'm understanding, that wasn't all the food you ate, just the keto-style meals?
  • worldinplace
    Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

Overall numbers, I just meant total calories plus the macros you were actually hitting. If I'm understanding, that wasn't all the food you ate, just the keto-style meals?
    Yea just the keto style meals

My normal macros
    Calories 1650
    Carbs 83
    Fat 73
    Protein 165
  • nvmomketo

Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

My normal macros
    Calories 1650
    Carbs 83
    Fat 73
    Protein 165

TBH, those look like fine macro amounts. The carbs may be too high for ketosis but unless you need lower carbs for medical reasons, or feel you are missing the possible health benefits of ketones, it is not a big deal.

I've been mostly ketogenic for a few years. Over the past 9 months or so I've been eating almost as a carnivore - on most days my only plant intake is coffee, spices and stevia, but I do eat some plant once in a while. My typical keto diet now is not like others.

Yesterday was not a great day for me. I had coffee with cream and protein powder, pepperoni, porkchops, and porkrinds with a sour cream dip. The day before was coffee and fixings, a can of tuna, beef and eggs.

When I was losing on keto, I usually ate around 20g of carbs a day. Breakfast, if I ate it was leftovers or bacon and eggs. Lunch was often deli meat and cheese, or tuna with cucs, celery and mayo, or a bowl of nuts, or a fish of beef patty with sauces. Dinner was almost always meat with a side veggie like tomato meatsauce on some spaghetti squash, taco salad, steak and salad, burger patty with cheese, lettuce and avocado.

BUT you are doing a better job of getting enough protein than I did. I tend to eat fatty meats and found I often did not get to 100g protein.

If you were to change anything, I would consider dropping carbs a bit more, but if it is working for you, don't. :)
  • TabbyLynne78
    TabbyLynne78 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like you want to mix it up a bit and not eat the SSDD. Try a variety of low carb (especially Keto) friendly recipes. I made this for dinner: https://diethood.com/cauliflower-cheese-soup/
    Took up over half my daily carb allowance but it was soooo Delicious! It’s more like a thick bisque than a soup. Very filling.
  • worldinplace
    Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

My normal macros
    Calories 1650
    Carbs 83
    Fat 73
    Protein 165

TBH, those look like fine macro amounts. The carbs may be too high for ketosis but unless you need lower carbs for medical reasons, or feel you are missing the possible health benefits of ketones, it is not a big deal.

I've been mostly ketogenic for a few years. Over the past 9 months or so I've been eating almost as a carnivore - on most days my only plant intake is coffee, spices and stevia, but I do eat some plant once in a while. My typical keto diet now is not like others.

Yesterday was not a great day for me. I had coffee with cream and protein powder, pepperoni, porkchops, and porkrinds with a sour cream dip. The day before was coffee and fixings, a can of tuna, beef and eggs.

When I was losing on keto, I usually ate around 20g of carbs a day. Breakfast, if I ate it was leftovers or bacon and eggs. Lunch was often deli meat and cheese, or tuna with cucs, celery and mayo, or a bowl of nuts, or a fish of beef patty with sauces. Dinner was almost always meat with a side veggie like tomato meatsauce on some spaghetti squash, taco salad, steak and salad, burger patty with cheese, lettuce and avocado.

BUT you are doing a better job of getting enough protein than I did. I tend to eat fatty meats and found I often did not get to 100g protein.

If you were to change anything, I would consider dropping carbs a bit more, but if it is working for you, don't. :)

Well... it's not working... Last summer My diet would consist of two eggs with turkey bacon and a small avocado. My second meal which was dinner was either fish, chicken or beef with cauliflower and down brussel sprouts. I got down to 197. I gave up and started eating carbs again until New Years.

Can you check my log on the 11 of January to see if I'm doing keto correctly?
  • nvmomketo
    Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

My normal macros
    Calories 1650
    Carbs 83
    Fat 73
    Protein 165

Well... it's not working... Last summer My diet would consist of two eggs with turkey bacon and a small avocado. My second meal which was dinner was either fish, chicken or beef with cauliflower and down brussel sprouts. I got down to 197. I gave up and started eating carbs again until New Years.

I took a look. You don't seem to be following your macros on most days.

Jan 11
    C35
    F84
    P78
    1274 kcal

Jan 10
    C165
    F93
    P83
    1811 kcal

Jan9
    C95
    F51
    P52
    1055kcal

Jan 8
    C40
    F68
    P114
    1274 kcal

Your higher carb days seem to come from prepackaged processed carbs like egg rolls and steak fries. Foods like that are usually quite restricted or even avoided while ketogenic. Most trying to achieve ketosis will try not to exceed 15-20g in a meal. But keeping carbs very low is only an issue if you want ketones for health or you find lowered carbs blunts your appetite and makes weight loss easier. Glazes and processed foods - basically anything not a veggie, seed or nut - will make it harder to keep carbs low.

The bigger issue, IMO, is your low protein intake. For a small inactive woman, it would not be bad. For a man, especially if active, it is too low (IMO). Even if not active, protein will help you preserve lean muscle and tissue loss while losing.

You probably need more meat, eggs or dairy in your diet; or if you prefer, more plant protein. You seem to like preprepared meals with meat. I would consider adding more meat or eggs to it, or skipping it for some homemade meals with meatloaf, taco salads (no rice or shells for keto), or even steak or pork chops. As a man, I think you should find a way to get more protein - at least consistently at 100g but more would be better.

Your calories are too low too, IMO. That's where keto'ers often like their fats (once their protein needs are met). Fat is your energy source and will usually be your main source of calories. Consider adding some cheese or butter to your leaner protein meals to get more calories. Protein is not a good energy source. That is what fats are for.... and flavour. ;)

Consider trying more calories, more whole foods and whole protein sources (meat, eggs and dairy). Getting enough calories and protein may make it more sustainable.

When I lost, I ate about 1500 kcal a day, which was more than the 1420kcal goal I set out to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. I lost 2-3 lbs on most weeks until I got into a normal BMI range. I am an inactive 5'8" middle-aged woman who started around 190 lbs. I ate a similar protein level as you (wish I'd eaten more) and a few hundred calories more a day. It was sustainable. I lost, maintained, regained a bit when I changed my diet, went back to keto and lost again.

Also, make sure you are getting at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. Low electrolytes are common in early keto and cause fatigue, headaches, brain fog, moodiness, stomach and BM issues, and muscle weakness. There are 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt - you need about 2 tsp of salt a day.

Try the Low Carber Daily and Keto groups for more help. They're a helpful bunch.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • worldinplace
    Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

My normal macros
    Calories 1650
    Carbs 83
    Fat 73
    Protein 165

I took a look. You don't seem to be following your macros on most days.

Jan 11
    C35
    F84
    P78
    1274 kcal

Jan 10
    C165
    F93
    P83
    1811 kcal

Jan9
    C95
    F51
    P52
    1055kcal

Jan 8
    C40
    F68
    P114
    1274 kcal

Your higher carb days seem to come from prepackaged processed carbs like egg rolls and steak fries. Foods like that are usually quite restricted or even avoided while ketogenic. Most trying to achieve ketosis will try not to exceed 15-20g in a meal. But keeping carbs very low is only an issue if you want ketones for health or you find lowered carbs blunts your appetite and makes weight loss easier. Glazes and processed foods - basically anything not a veggie, seed or nut - will make it harder to keep carbs low.

The bigger issue, IMO, is your low protein intake. For a small inactive woman, it would not be bad. For a man, especially if active, it is too low (IMO). Even if not active, protein will help you preserve lean muscle and tissue loss while losing.

You probably need more meat, eggs or dairy in your diet; or if you prefer, more plant protein. You seem to like preprepared meals with meat. I would consider adding more meat or eggs to it, or skipping it for some homemade meals with meatloaf, taco salads (no rice or shells for keto), or even steak or pork chops. As a man, I think you should find a way to get more protein - at least consistently at 100g but more would be better.

Your calories are too low too, IMO. That's where keto'ers often like their fats (once their protein needs are met). Fat is your energy source and will usually be your main source of calories. Consider adding some cheese or butter to your leaner protein meals to get more calories. Protein is not a good energy source. That is what fats are for.... and flavour. ;)

Consider trying more calories, more whole foods and whole protein sources (meat, eggs and dairy). Getting enough calories and protein may make it more sustainable.

When I lost, I ate about 1500 kcal a day, which was more than the 1420kcal goal I set out to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. I lost 2-3 lbs on most weeks until I got into a normal BMI range. I am an inactive 5'8" middle-aged woman who started around 190 lbs. I ate a similar protein level as you (wish I'd eaten more) and a few hundred calories more a day. It was sustainable. I lost, maintained, regained a bit when I changed my diet, went back to keto and lost again.

Also, make sure you are getting at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. Low electrolytes are common in early keto and cause fatigue, headaches, brain fog, moodiness, stomach and BM issues, and muscle weakness. There are 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt - you need about 2 tsp of salt a day.

Try the Low Carber Daily and Keto groups for more help. They're a helpful bunch.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

I find it hard to eat more protein. I naturally gravitate to processed foods. Thanks for the advice I add more protein and try to hit my micros each day
  • xdbltrblx
    xdbltrblx Posts: 7 Member
    xdbltrblx wrote: »

Usually I eat 2 pan fried eggs with turkey bacon and avocado. In the evening, I eat fish or salmon with brussel sprouts and broccoli. My carbs are usually lhe iow. I'm little concerned about fat. Any tips? In a day my fat is usually in the 70's

Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

Protein is too high. Keto is a high fat, moderate protein, low card diet. I don't think the mods here have a good grasp of what keto actually is so take their advice with a grain of salt. I feel better in the 75-80 range in fat and I'm still losing weight. Calories do matter....you won't lose weight if you aren't at a deficit. If you have any questions I will be happy to share my experience with you.

You need to do a lot more research. There are a variety of ketogenic diets. But to get into a ketogenic state, you only need to restrict carbs. That is fact.

Protein is key to maintaining lean body mass, metabolism and much more. Protein requirements are rougly 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. Even in the modified ketogenic diet (the one that is currently the craze) protein should be moderate (20-30%) of calories. If you look at the studies by Vokey and phinney, they align to my suggestions.

Just because people suggest super high fat, doesn't mean they understand the parameters. There are zero extra benefits of eating a ton of fat, especially when the OP is already satiated by his diet. Adding additional fat for the sake of fat, is adding additional calories for no additional benefits.

Also, if you want, we can certainly talk about other keto diets outside the modified keto diet, like TKD or CKD

ETA: At 125g of protein, the OP is probably too low. Most men, unless very small, need 140g+ while dieting.

Restricting carbs doesn't automatically get you into ketosis.... thanks for proving my point.
  • lemurcat2

Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

Protein is too high. Keto is a high fat, moderate protein, low card diet. I don't think the mods here have a good grasp of what keto actually is so take their advice with a grain of salt. I feel better in the 75-80 range in fat and I'm still losing weight. Calories do matter....you won't lose weight if you aren't at a deficit. If you have any questions I will be happy to share my experience with you.

You need to do a lot more research. There are a variety of ketogenic diets. But to get into a ketogenic state, you only need to restrict carbs. That is fact.

Protein is key to maintaining lean body mass, metabolism and much more. Protein requirements are rougly 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. Even in the modified ketogenic diet (the one that is currently the craze) protein should be moderate (20-30%) of calories. If you look at the studies by Vokey and phinney, they align to my suggestions.

Just because people suggest super high fat, doesn't mean they understand the parameters. There are zero extra benefits of eating a ton of fat, especially when the OP is already satiated by his diet. Adding additional fat for the sake of fat, is adding additional calories for no additional benefits.

Also, if you want, we can certainly talk about other keto diets outside the modified keto diet, like TKD or CKD

ETA: At 125g of protein, the OP is probably too low. Most men, unless very small, need 140g+ while dieting.

Restricting carbs doesn't automatically get you into ketosis.... thanks for proving my point.

How does this follow from what psulemon said? Of course restricting carbs gets you into ketosis. No one is talking about eating enormous amounts of protein and low fat.