Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Porkins42 wrote: »
    https://www.wellnessgeeky.com/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-in-a-sauna/

This article argues that you burn 1.5 times your sitting rate of calorie burn. For example if you burn 20 calories just sitting, you may burn 30 in the sauna. Granted, unless you're in there for hours, it's not going to revolutionize your weight loss journey, and as people have said, weight loss noticed that day or the next will likely be completely water weight. HOWEVER. The fun part about keeping a log is logging EVERYTHING, so why not log everything!

ZOMBIE THREAD

Okay, but be sure to net out the 20 calories you all ready got credit for in your activity level. Because even sedentary people sit.

Also note that EVERYTHING is an estimate. Your activity level is a "range" but My Fitness Pal uses just one number. The food you log, let's just say I hope you are weighing everything (bread slices, package foods, every taste, every bite, every lick) using a digital food scale.

There are so many estimates, wrong food entries, etc; I predict it's not going to be fun, it's going to be frustrating.

The water weight isn't going to take days to come back.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Porkins42 wrote: »
    https://www.wellnessgeeky.com/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-in-a-sauna/

This article argues that you burn 1.5 times your sitting rate of calorie burn. For example if you burn 20 calories just sitting, you may burn 30 in the sauna. Granted, unless you're in there for hours, it's not going to revolutionize your weight loss journey, and as people have said, weight loss noticed that day or the next will likely be completely water weight. HOWEVER. The fun part about keeping a log is logging EVERYTHING, so why not log everything!

Same as knitting, a real calorie burner. Hooyay
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I spent the whole day in a fairly warm train today, from about 10:00 to 19:00. I'm sure I burned masses of calories. Ok, I also somehow managed to get about 12000 steps in from walking through stations, and cycled for 40 minutes to the station and back but I'm sure this pales compared to all the sitting and reading in the hot trains. :D
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit tired thinking of turning the heat up and taking a nap to get a good calorie burn. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Nope.

(1) Zombie thread from 2011.
    (2) A zillion things raise heart rate, without burning extra calories (heat, dehydration, high emotion, physical strain (Valsava), more). Sauna is one.

Feels good. Might help recovery (low probability?). Worth doing, though.

Best estimate: Zero calories. Zero.

:drinker:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Wow a double zombie thread resurected in 2016 from 2011 and now here it is again. we are on a roll here.

No calories burned in sauna just water weight lost through sweat.

7oi6zzihcyk0.png

• transposefitness
    transposefitness Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ahem... https://youtu.be/aHOlM-wlNjM

There are many benefits to sauna use, but the amount of extra calories burned is probably negligible in the long run.

You don’t really step into a sauna to burn calories, but for the other things it can do.