2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice
    What do you mean when you say overall numbers?

I used the keto calculator on keto gains
    Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

I'm trying keto dishes to see what I like before I start. I'm going to eat some pork rinds and pecans as a snack.

Overall numbers, I just meant total calories plus the macros you were actually hitting. If I'm understanding, that wasn't all the food you ate, just the keto-style meals?
    Yea just the keto style meals

My normal macros
    Calories 1650
    Carbs 83
    Fat 73
    Protein 165

TBH, those look like fine macro amounts. The carbs may be too high for ketosis but unless you need lower carbs for medical reasons, or feel you are missing the possible health benefits of ketones, it is not a big deal.
    I agree. You probably want to get enough protein (often 100g+), keep carbs low enough, and then use fat to satiety.

Keto is just low carb. The fat does not need to be high, but chances are it will be your largest calorie amount. There is 9 calories for every 1 g of fat. If you eat 70-80g of fat, that is 630-720 calories.

If you eat 150g of protein, that's 600 calories (1g protein or carbs is 4 calories).... Are you getting enough calories in total? For men the minimum recommended is about 1500 calories.

What do you usually eat for lunch and dinner. Im just trying to get some ideas.

I've been mostly ketogenic for a few years. Over the past 9 months or so I've been eating almost as a carnivore - on most days my only plant intake is coffee, spices and stevia, but I do eat some plant once in a while. My typical keto diet now is not like others.

Yesterday was not a great day for me. I had coffee with cream and protein powder, pepperoni, porkchops, and porkrinds with a sour cream dip. The day before was coffee and fixings, a can of tuna, beef and eggs.

When I was losing on keto, I usually ate around 20g of carbs a day. Breakfast, if I ate it was leftovers or bacon and eggs. Lunch was often deli meat and cheese, or tuna with cucs, celery and mayo, or a bowl of nuts, or a fish of beef patty with sauces. Dinner was almost always meat with a side veggie like tomato meatsauce on some spaghetti squash, taco salad, steak and salad, burger patty with cheese, lettuce and avocado.

BUT you are doing a better job of getting enough protein than I did. I tend to eat fatty meats and found I often did not get to 100g protein.

If you were to change anything, I would consider dropping carbs a bit more, but if it is working for you, don't. :)

Well... it's not working... Last summer My diet would consist of two eggs with turkey bacon and a small avocado. My second meal which was dinner was either fish, chicken or beef with cauliflower and down brussel sprouts. I got down to 197. I gave up and started eating carbs again until New Years.

Can you check my log on the 11 of January to see if I'm doing keto correctly?

I took a look. You don't seem to be following your macros on most days.

Jan 11
    C35
    F84
    P78
    1274 kcal

Jan 10
    C165
    F93
    P83
    1811 kcal

Jan9
    C95
    F51
    P52
    1055kcal

Jan 8
    C40
    F68
    P114
    1274 kcal

Your higher carb days seem to come from prepackaged processed carbs like egg rolls and steak fries. Foods like that are usually quite restricted or even avoided while ketogenic. Most trying to achieve ketosis will try not to exceed 15-20g in a meal. But keeping carbs very low is only an issue if you want ketones for health or you find lowered carbs blunts your appetite and makes weight loss easier. Glazes and processed foods - basically anything not a veggie, seed or nut - will make it harder to keep carbs low.

The bigger issue, IMO, is your low protein intake. For a small inactive woman, it would not be bad. For a man, especially if active, it is too low (IMO). Even if not active, protein will help you preserve lean muscle and tissue loss while losing.

You probably need more meat, eggs or dairy in your diet; or if you prefer, more plant protein. You seem to like preprepared meals with meat. I would consider adding more meat or eggs to it, or skipping it for some homemade meals with meatloaf, taco salads (no rice or shells for keto), or even steak or pork chops. As a man, I think you should find a way to get more protein - at least consistently at 100g but more would be better.

Your calories are too low too, IMO. That's where keto'ers often like their fats (once their protein needs are met). Fat is your energy source and will usually be your main source of calories. Consider adding some cheese or butter to your leaner protein meals to get more calories. Protein is not a good energy source. That is what fats are for.... and flavour. ;)

Consider trying more calories, more whole foods and whole protein sources (meat, eggs and dairy). Getting enough calories and protein may make it more sustainable.

When I lost, I ate about 1500 kcal a day, which was more than the 1420kcal goal I set out to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. I lost 2-3 lbs on most weeks until I got into a normal BMI range. I am an inactive 5'8" middle-aged woman who started around 190 lbs. I ate a similar protein level as you (wish I'd eaten more) and a few hundred calories more a day. It was sustainable. I lost, maintained, regained a bit when I changed my diet, went back to keto and lost again.

Also, make sure you are getting at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. Low electrolytes are common in early keto and cause fatigue, headaches, brain fog, moodiness, stomach and BM issues, and muscle weakness. There are 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt - you need about 2 tsp of salt a day.

Try the Low Carber Daily and Keto groups for more help. They're a helpful bunch.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

I find it hard to eat more protein. I naturally gravitate to processed foods. Thanks for the advice I add more protein and try to hit my micros each day

Juat try to take steps, like pre-planning your meals, to try to improve food quality and hit appropriate levels of protein. If you want to add fat and protein, replace lean meats with fattier versions such of chicken with skin, fatty cuts of steak, fattier ground beef, cheese and full fat diary.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Even add a sausage or two to your evening meal. Many meats can be microwaved quickly and can be ready in minutes.

A sugar free, stevia sweetened protein powder could be used to add a shake to your meal too, or as a snack. As I mentioned, I have to make an effort to get more protein because I gravitate to fattier meats. I add protein powder to my coffee as a whitener to get in a bit more. Just make sure the coffee is not too hot or it will curdle. ;)
  • xdbltrblx
    xdbltrblx Posts: 7 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    xdbltrblx wrote: »
    I planning to start Keto next month. It is difficult for me because I usually eat leaner cuts of meat. I dont eat a lot of fat. How do you manage to meet your fat micro on Keto? (Any snacks and recipes and advice ) thanks

Don't worry about fats. Worry about net carbs, protein and sodium. You don't get extra points forore fat.

Usually I eat 2 pan fried eggs with turkey bacon and avocado. In the evening, I eat fish or salmon with brussel sprouts and broccoli. My carbs are usually lhe iow. I'm little concerned about fat. Any tips? In a day my fat is usually in the 70's

I'd worry more about calories than fat, since keto can kill appetite. Are you eating really low?

Breakfast sounds pretty high fat (although why turkey bacon vs. bacon? I hope it's just a taste preference).

If the only other meal is the evening one with fish and veg, I do think your calories are likely too low. Eat nuts or more avocado or some cheese. Or add some dressing with olive oil or avocado oil to your veg.

What are your overall numbers?

Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

I'm trying keto dishes to see what I like before I start. I'm going to eat some pork rinds and pecans as a snack.

Protein is too high. Keto is a high fat, moderate protein, low card diet. I don't think the mods here have a good grasp of what keto actually is so take their advice with a grain of salt. I feel better in the 75-80 range in fat and I'm still losing weight. Calories do matter....you won't lose weight if you aren't at a deficit. If you have any questions I will be happy to share my experience with you.

You need to do a lot more research. There are a variety of ketogenic diets. But to get into a ketogenic state, you only need to restrict carbs. That is fact.

Protein is key to maintaining lean body mass, metabolism and much more. Protein requirements are rougly 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. Even in the modified ketogenic diet (the one that is currently the craze) protein should be moderate (20-30%) of calories. If you look at the studies by Vokey and phinney, they align to my suggestions.

Just because people suggest super high fat, doesn't mean they understand the parameters. There are zero extra benefits of eating a ton of fat, especially when the OP is already satiated by his diet. Adding additional fat for the sake of fat, is adding additional calories for no additional benefits.

Also, if you want, we can certainly talk about other keto diets outside the modified keto diet, like TKD or CKD

ETA: At 125g of protein, the OP is probably too low. Most men, unless very small, need 140g+ while dieting.

Restricting carbs doesn't automatically get you into ketosis.... thanks for proving my point.

Umm, yes it does. Once you stay 20-50g for an long enough period, your pancreas will begin breaking down fatty acids and produce ketone bodies.

Ketosis has nothing to do with fat consumption. If you believe it does, you have never seen what body builders do.

But if you believe you have more knowledge, please provide it.

ETA: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/the-fat-fueled-brain-unnatural-or-advantageous/

Here is a great example as to why just eating low carb is not the same as being in ketosis.

http://dranthonygustin.com/low-carb-vs-keto-ketosis-different-low-carb-diet/
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2019
    I planning to start Keto next month. It is difficult for me because I usually eat leaner cuts of meat. I dont eat a lot of fat. How do you manage to meet your fat micro on Keto? (Any snacks and recipes and advice ) thanks

Don't worry about fats. Worry about net carbs, protein and sodium. You don't get extra points forore fat.

Usually I eat 2 pan fried eggs with turkey bacon and avocado. In the evening, I eat fish or salmon with brussel sprouts and broccoli. My carbs are usually lhe iow. I'm little concerned about fat. Any tips? In a day my fat is usually in the 70's

I'd worry more about calories than fat, since keto can kill appetite. Are you eating really low?

Breakfast sounds pretty high fat (although why turkey bacon vs. bacon? I hope it's just a taste preference).

If the only other meal is the evening one with fish and veg, I do think your calories are likely too low. Eat nuts or more avocado or some cheese. Or add some dressing with olive oil or avocado oil to your veg.

What are your overall numbers?

Thanks for the advice

Here's the info

Protein 125g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 119g

Protein is too high. Keto is a high fat, moderate protein, low card diet. I don't think the mods here have a good grasp of what keto actually is so take their advice with a grain of salt. I feel better in the 75-80 range in fat and I'm still losing weight. Calories do matter....you won't lose weight if you aren't at a deficit. If you have any questions I will be happy to share my experience with you.

You need to do a lot more research. There are a variety of ketogenic diets. But to get into a ketogenic state, you only need to restrict carbs. That is fact.

Protein is key to maintaining lean body mass, metabolism and much more. Protein requirements are rougly 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. Even in the modified ketogenic diet (the one that is currently the craze) protein should be moderate (20-30%) of calories. If you look at the studies by Vokey and phinney, they align to my suggestions.

Just because people suggest super high fat, doesn't mean they understand the parameters. There are zero extra benefits of eating a ton of fat, especially when the OP is already satiated by his diet. Adding additional fat for the sake of fat, is adding additional calories for no additional benefits.

Also, if you want, we can certainly talk about other keto diets outside the modified keto diet, like TKD or CKD

ETA: At 125g of protein, the OP is probably too low. Most men, unless very small, need 140g+ while dieting.

Restricting carbs doesn't automatically get you into ketosis.... thanks for proving my point.

Umm, yes it does. Once you stay 20-50g for an long enough period, your pancreas will begin breaking down fatty acids and produce ketone bodies.

Ketosis has nothing to do with fat consumption. If you believe it does, you have never seen what body builders do.

But if you believe you have more knowledge, please provide it.

ETA: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/the-fat-fueled-brain-unnatural-or-advantageous/

Here is a great example as to why just eating low carb is not the same as being in ketosis.

http://dranthonygustin.com/low-carb-vs-keto-ketosis-different-low-carb-diet/

I am fully aware of the difference between low carb and ketogenic. If you looked a few of my posts, you would see that. Including the one noting restriction of 20-50g (more if you are very active).

It still has nothing to do with eating more fat. It has everything to do with the level of carbohydrate restriction.

Also, that is a pretty terrible article. It discusses starvation mode, which doesn't exist.

If you want good knowledge regarding ketogenic diets, look at one of the original researchers in the field, Lyle McDonald.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Also, that is a pretty terrible article. It discusses starvation mode, which doesn't exist.

It's also terrible because it suggests that you need to be in ketosis to burn fat for energy, and that low carbing (but higher than keto) is therefore going to be hard.
  • worldinplace
    worldinplace Posts: 19 Member
    Well After trying to get in ketosis for the past two days, I gained about two pounds. I recalculated my macros.
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

I was going to buy MCT oil. But I'm going to do more research. I been watching Dr. Berg videos on YouTube.

To hit the fat macro I just kept adding Extra virgin olive oil to my meals and butter. I added an extra fish to my dinner to hit my protein goal. I had 63% Fat 29% Protein and 8% Carbs. I know my net carbs is in the low 20's.
  • psuLemon
    Well After trying to get in ketosis for the past two days, I gained about two pounds. I recalculated my macros.
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

I was going to buy MCT oil. But I'm going to do more research. I been watching Dr. Berg videos on YouTube.

To hit the fat macro I just kept adding Extra virgin olive oil to my meals and butter. I added an extra fish to my dinner to hit my protein goal. I had 63% Fat 29% Protein and 8% Carbs. I know my net carbs is in the low 20's.

Can I ask a basic question? Why are you even trying to get into ketosis? If it doesn't align to how you naturally eat, than its not going to be a successful way of dieting.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Being in Ketosis - when the body uses fat, from food and or the body depending on your being in maintenance or weight loss decision rather than having higher carbs, internally processed, does not suit everyone. I have no idea why this is, I know it does not suit me to go too low on carbs. All the very best.
  • worldinplace
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

Can I ask a basic question? Why are you even trying to get into ketosis? If it doesn't align to how you naturally eat, than its not going to be a successful way of dieting.

I am trying to lose weight. In the past, I cut out carbs and drop down to 197. I'm trying to get into ketosis because I want to lose weight. Usually, I eat more carbs and less protein and I wont lose weight. I just want something that works. I have tried Paleo and I stopped losing weight around 195. Maybe I'm not understanding all the videos and information correctly.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

I am trying to lose weight. In the past, I cut out carbs and drop down to 197. I'm trying to get into ketosis because I want to lose weight. Usually, I eat more carbs and less protein and I wont lose weight. I just want something that works. I have tried Paleo and I stopped losing weight around 195. Maybe I'm not understanding all the videos and information correctly.

If you're not paying as much attention to your calories as your macros you won't lose weight. Cutting out things only gets you so far, the closer you get to your goals the more precise you have to be. Keto works for those people who can be satiated by that way of eating, which is what helps them stay at their deficit. Not keto in and of itself.
  • worldinplace
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

If you're not paying as much attention to your calories as your macros you won't lose weight. Cutting out things only gets you so far, the closer you get to your goals the more precise you have to be. Keto works for those people who can be satiated by that way of eating, which is what helps them stay at their deficit. Not keto in and of itself.

I'm going to stick to Keto and see what happens. I have noticed that I'm not as hungry.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

Weight loss comes down to calories, not macros ratios (carbs, protein and fat). To lose weight the only thing you need to be doing is hitting the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

If going low carb lines up with how you prefer to eat than it may help you achieve your calorie deficit, but it's not the low carbing that's causing weight loss-it's that you're eating at a calorie deficit.

As a sidenote-I've a 40 year old woman, who's only exercise is light walking, and I eat on average 200+ grams of carbs every day. I'm at the lower end of the healthy BMI chart and I manage my weight be keeping my calories in check :)
  • psuLemon
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

All weight loss comes down to calories. Being in ketosis doesn't mean you will lose weight. I lost weight averaging 250-300g of carbs per day. And when i lose weight, i cut fat.

My concern, is that this doesn't align to your current esting style and often that makes it harder. Personally, i would focus on cutting calories and slowly move towards ketosis if you want or have the ability.
  • worldinplace
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

All weight loss comes down to calories. Being in ketosis doesn't mean you will lose weight. I lost weight averaging 250-300g of carbs per day. And when i lose weight, i cut fat.

My concern, is that this doesn't align to your current esting style and often that makes it harder. Personally, i would focus on cutting calories and slowly move towards ketosis if you want or have the ability.

ok thanks

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited January 2019
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

And just to add... you can't go by just 2 days to determine if something is working or not. Even if you do everything perfectly, you will see the scale go up and down on a day-to-day basis. It's usually water weight fluctuations, but can also be food that's taking a little longer to digest or scale blips. You are looking for the long term trend over several weeks. Changing things up after two days will keep you constantly looking for something new without giving anything a chance to actually work. Patience :wink:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

ok thanks

That correct. Weight control is going to come down to calories consumed vs calories used. Eating very low carb, or ketogenic, tends to help because of the lower appetite. There may be a very slight metabolic advantage to ketosis, but it seems to only apply to those with metabolic issues like IR, and it is small. Ketones are not thought to help with weight loos; they are just a result of eating very few carbs.

I took a quick look at your calories and macros from over the weekend. It looks much more like a good ketogenic diet, IMO. Hitting that protein may help you in the long run too because protein is thermogenic (you only use about 75% of the protein calories you eat compared to carbs and fat which are much higher) and protein seems to be the satiating food for most people. It makes eating a bit less easier.

Good luck. :)

ETA are you testing ketones? That is the only way to know if you are in ketosis, and even then the urine tests are not very accurate.
  • psuLemon
    Protein 121g
    Net Carbs 25g
    Fat 105g

ok thanks

That correct. Weight control is going to come down to calories consumed vs calories used. Eating very low carb, or ketogenic, tends to help because of the lower appetite. There may be a very slight metabolic advantage to ketosis, but it seems to only apply to those with metabolic issues like IR, and it is small. Ketones are not thought to help with weight loos; they are just a result of eating very few carbs.

I took a quick look at your calories and macros from over the weekend. It looks much more like a good ketogenic diet, IMO. Hitting that protein may help you in the long run too because protein is thermogenic (you only use about 75% of the protein calories you eat compared to carbs and fat which are much higher) and protein seems to be the satiating food for most people. It makes eating a bit less easier.

Good luck. :)

ETA are you testing ketones? That is the only way to know if you are in ketosis, and even then the urine tests are not very accurate.

I would note a few things, I would agree that increasing protein, especially over fat, is going to provide a much greater impact (metabolically and in terms of body composition). Second, I can't tell what your total fiber is, but fiber is super important. Not only is it also thermogenic, it supports overall health.