Does A “Cheat Day/Meal/Snack” Make Sense?

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mithion wrote: »
    My original question was more from a health standpoint. If I’m eating chicken and veggies and fruits and all healthy food most of the time and then suddenly I inhale half a chocolate cake is that unhealthy? Would that like be a shock to my system?

Some people do find that they have negative physical consequences when they eat more fat/sugar/sodium than they've become accustomed to. Others (like me) don't really notice anything at all.

Some people have touchier digestive systems than others, but if you're asking if there is some universally applicable "shock to the system," I don't think there is any evidence to show that this is a real thing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    mithion wrote: »
    I’ve read and heard about cheat days and cheat meals and cheat snacks and correct me if I am wrong but it is a mental thing. I love them don’t get me wrong but I always feel like I’m destroying progress and effort for a few minutes of delicious lol.

Is there any truly bad side effects from a cheat day/meal/snack?

I’m guessing if it’s very sugary your insulin spikes or if it’s very high in calories you might feel very tired after.

Are there any actual serious negative health effects from it? Is it like a shock to your system to go from clean eating to bam loads of fat or sugar or carbs all at once etc.

Assuming it is only a day there are no negative side effects. Even an occasional sugar spike is not going to cause any problems unless you take insulin and need to adjust the dosage.

In other words, keep looking at the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff. It isn't worth the stress.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Depending on the week I might eat one higher calorie meal/day (around 2,500-4,000 for a planned cheat day & even then I don't consider it a cheat day) & then work it either into my overall maintenance for the week or leave either half a pound or pound deficit). I carefully plan & log my calories & weigh out my foods to ensure I am accurately accounting for all of my food.

A lot of people who don't have great planning skills, don't accurately weigh food, aren't accounting for calories could easily undo a weeks deficit or even a few weeks depending on how many calories over maintenance their cheat meal, cheat day, or even cheat week is.

If I have a few higher calorie days I just eat less the following days in that particular week. I typically eat 1800 & will then eating around 1650-1700 calories the rest of the week.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you check out the post "Of refeeds and diet breaks." It lists some interesting resources that discuss the benefits of having planned cheat days and diet breaks
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I really avoid the “cheating” term / idea because I have a history of disordered eating. That mindset can be very dangerous and trying to balance tracking intake and exercise without obsessing is challenging enough.

I look at my caloric intake, macros, and nutrients weekly. I routinely work in the more calorie-dense foods that I enjoy through portion control and “banking”. If I get to a point where I have plateaued after a considerable loss, I may switch to maintenance for a bit (refeed) before continuing. I would still continue to monitor and log.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Doesn’t make sense to me.

If it makes sense to you and helps you, go for it. This is all about what works for each of us.