How to eat healthy when eating outside ?

Options
Being in college and working i am outside a lot and sometimes it takes me till 6 pm to get home and eat my lunch and prepare it , so some days can i eat at subways or a healthy place that serves salads and fresh foods ? Would that affect my diet eating fresh salads and healthy food outside? And if you guys have any good healthy food places i can try out recommend !

Replies

• niki_3197
    niki_3197 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would say that as long as you use portion control and moderation, eating out can completely fit your diet. Heck, most Youtuber's and fitness people I watch/follow eat out often! However, it's important to be smart about your choices and try to stick to something you can track in MyFitnessPal to keep yourself accountable throughout the rest of your day :) For a few examples if I decide to eat out I really enjoy the Starbucks spinach/feta egg white wrap (it's easy to track and tastes delicious). Starbucks also has a reduced fat turkey bacon sandwich and egg white bites which are really good. Chipotle and Subway salads are also really good but be mindful of the sauce and toppings you add cause those can add up quick. I like to stay away from cheese on these to cut down on the calories as well. If you're not mindful, a Chipotle "salad" can end up being like 600 calories which is pretty crazy considering how quick it is to eat but with wise decision making you can eat the same thing for about half of that. I also really enjoy eating out for sushi if you're a fan of raw fish because it's an excellent source of Omega 3's and keeps you super full without a lot of carbs! A go to sushi order for me is 1/2 order or salmon sashimi, edamame and maybe a green salad on the side without the dressing. Hope this was helpful, let me know if you have any other questions or anything you'd like to ask!!!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    the thing you need to keep an eye on is the sauces and dressings in salads bought at shops - sometimes that makes the calories rise a LOT.

I take leftover dinner to work in a lunchbox and have it for lunch. There is also the meal prep option - just prepare some stuff. It literaly takes me 10 minutes every morning to make my 2 lunches plus my daughter's school lunch.

I make my first lunch from scratch which is grated carrot and diced cucumber and parsley and some hummus (tinned fish lives at work or else I make chicken and chop that up and put it in or any other leftover meat from dinner), then I get rice, beans, leftover meat and some greens and chuck it in another lunchbox and then make my kid's sandwich.

So... all you need is literally 10 minutes to make lunch in the morning if you want to.
  • Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal does give calorie information on a lot of food places. Thank you for your response i will definitely use the advice !!!

• Ashlove5
    Options
    McDonald's is ubiquitous. A McChicken Sandwich and a Side Salad is $2 and suitable for losing or controlling weight with "out" food. You just have to decide if the dressing they give you for the salad is worth the hit on your calorie budget.
    Can you really eat a mcchicken often and fit it in your calorie budget and still looose weight ?
  • CookieJones2018
    CookieJones2018 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A lot of restaurants, especially if they're part of a chain, will have their menu and sometimes nutritional breakdown online. It's good to plan your meal ahead so you know what you're going to have, so you can log it and then be accountable to eat what you've pre-logged.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I know it’s considered wasteful to not finish it, but you don’t have to eat it all. Places really give us too much food.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    ashsabiha wrote: »
    McDonald's is ubiquitous. A McChicken Sandwich and a Side Salad is $2 and suitable for losing or controlling weight with "out" food. You just have to decide if the dressing they give you for the salad is worth the hit on your calorie budget.
    Can you really eat a mcchicken often and fit it in your calorie budget and still looose weight ?

You can eat anything that fits in your calorie budget and you will still lose weight.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

easily.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

You can eat anything that fits in your calorie budget and you will still lose weight.

So why is it when losing weight we are told to avoid carbs at all costs even whole wheat ones ?

marketing. hype.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

So why is it when losing weight we are told to avoid carbs at all costs even whole wheat ones ?

Fortunately nobody told me that.

My diet is far from low carb, let alone avoiding them at all costs

Lost to my goal weight in 2013 and kept it off since.
  • Ashlove5
    Options

Fortunately nobody told me that.

My diet is far from low carb, let alone avoiding them at all costs

Lost to my goal weight in 2013 and kept it off since.
    That’s amazing congrats !! And i do consume whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread and a lot of people online really make carbs the enemy and acts like it can sabotage your weight loss but thank you for clearing that up !