Air fryers?

Options

Replies

• GoldwingGrandma
    GoldwingGrandma Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have both an Air Fryer and an Instapot. I love them both. I make bacon in the AirFryer (neat and clean...no grease splatter), and I use my instapot for pressure cooking my chicken breasts (6 minutes) and then making soup in the pot. I love the one pot to do it all. I also brown my ground beef on sauté and then add the ingredients for soup and let it cook. Clean up is a snap with both appliances. I pressure cooked a brisket last week and it was shred tender....to be used in soup.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have a 10q air fryer, and use it almost daily. I'm typically only cooking for myself, so it's much easier to use that than heat up the whole oven for 1 piece of chicken. I've made everything from chicken breasts to roasted veggies to meatloaf to fish sticks in it. It cleans up easy, cooks things thoroughly and quickly.. and crisps them up nicely. I've recommended to a couple friends to get one and they have and also enjoy using it.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Been thinking of getting an air fryer, the results pics look delicious.

And a correction, in case anyone wants to look for the actual product, it's "Instant Pot", not "instapot". Don't want anyone to get confused or waste time looking for something by the wrong name. I have one, highly recommended.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have a Phillips Air Fryer. It's great for chicken wings and other skin-on chicken pieces. My only complaint is that it's too small and I have to cook in batches. The Air Fryer is just another arsenal in my list of kitchen gadgets (including the Instant Pot). It hasn't replaced anything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    chrisski34 wrote: »
    Air fryers? Any good or a no no?

It's just a small convection oven...it's a cooking tool...not sure why it would be a "no no"
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i use my air fryer almost daily. never added oil to anything. I only cook for one and can def see how feeding more than two would take some time. chicken, steaks, wings, veggies, meatballs, pork chops, shrimp, burgers, chicken burgers are some of what I cook. It's quick, clean up is easy. I've had mine almost two years and thinking of upgrading. don't really use my oven or bbq anymore. also, it's a keto lovers dream!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I don't have one..but all my diet buddies love theirs.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It is *not* just a small convection oven. A good one has a very over-sized heating element/blower for a very small amount of cooking space. This means that it comes up to temperature very fast whether you just started or you opened it to check on/do something to your food. Anyone who has ever deep fried foods in oil that has dropped in temperature will tell you that is how things end up soggy instead of crisp.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bought one about a year ago and we love it! Makes the best chicken wings ever. No added oil, sprinkle with some Penzey's 4/S seasoned salt, 20-25 mins in the air fryer. I've also used it to cook fresh shrimp and fish and they come out perfect.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like the airfryer for things like chicken wings, or frozen foods like Totino's or egg rolls. It takes about the same amount of time that my oven does. But since my oven is older, it burns more energy so for small meals, I use the air fryer. With that said, if I had a more energy efficient oven, I would not need an airfryer. It isn't the same as traditional frying and more akin to oven baking.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I bought the T-fal one that is round and stirs the food. It's ok for fries but I am thinking of buying one that has a tray. The round one really isn't good for anything that's fragile because it just rips it up. I have seen others post positive reviews for the Phillips one which is sort of a square with a tray that goes in it. Again though I agree that if you are cooking for a large group it takes too long because only small batches work at least in the one I have.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of getting one of these but know that my OH's first question would be .....how much does it cost to run in electricity......does anyone know please?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I got a Ninja Foodi for Christmas and I love it. It's a pressure cooker and air fryer in one. Dinner on the table in no time.

I got one too.

Fantastic. Cooked frozen solid chicken breasts to perfection in less than 30 minutes last night. Took them out and put another batch in for lunches. My only complaint is that it doesn't quite hold enough sometimes. It is the 6.5 qt (it was a gift, I probably would have chosen the 8 qt) but it's diameter I'm having problems with, not height.

Air fryers are the same as convection ovens really, but not everyone has a convection oven.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I bought the T-fal one that is round and stirs the food. It's ok for fries but I am thinking of buying one that has a tray. The round one really isn't good for anything that's fragile because it just rips it up. I have seen others post positive reviews for the Phillips one which is sort of a square with a tray that goes in it. Again though I agree that if you are cooking for a large group it takes too long because only small batches work at least in the one I have.

They make a tray for the Acti-fry.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-actifry-basket-0432286p.html#srp

I love mine for potatoes. I usually cube them, toss in a little oil and spicy Mrs. Dash and throw them in then deal with the rest of dinner. But I'm cooking for one (wife can't eat potatoes). I've used it to cook breakfast potatoes for 3 people and I'd guess the max would be 4 or so. I've used the tray for fish and it turned out decent.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    I really like the idea of getting one of these but know that my OH's first question would be .....how much does it cost to run in electricity......does anyone know please?

I'd say next to nothing. It's not like it runs 24/7, you use it for 10-30 mins while cooking and that's it.. it's the same as any other other small appliance, toaster, electric skillet, crock pot. I promise it will not affect your electric bill.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    suziecue25 wrote: »

I'd say next to nothing. It's not like it runs 24/7, you use it for 10-30 mins while cooking and that's it.. it's the same as any other other small appliance, toaster, electric skillet, crock pot. I promise it will not affect your electric bill.

Less than running the oven for the same amount of time.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I love making my own beet or regular chips....lkz80i6zr3zo.png

hzn23b5fu5qc.png

Pizza is good as well...c6k9qxcvlfgn.png

So is making your own tacos in a soft wrap and air frying them.
    7ucjor8il38o.png

Or making homemade mini crunchy taquitos ...
    hvt5n406en00.png

I made noises like I was watching fireworks as I scrolled by all this. Oooh. Aaah!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

They make a tray for the Acti-fry.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-actifry-basket-0432286p.html#srp

I love mine for potatoes. I usually cube them, toss in a little oil and spicy Mrs. Dash and throw them in then deal with the rest of dinner. But I'm cooking for one (wife can't eat potatoes). I've used it to cook breakfast potatoes for 3 people and I'd guess the max would be 4 or so. I've used the tray for fish and it turned out decent.

Thanks!
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Noreenmarie1234 what make/model do you have? Your pics are amazing! Can't believe you use no oil!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    If there’s a heaven, please let it include an air fryer and halloumi.