Anyone using Alli?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mitchlou84
    Mitchlou84 Posts: 135
    Options
    Have to say, there is some incredibly incorrect information on here, it really is enough to put anyone off trying them! If you don't know, don't reply. People should be able to make informed decisions about these things.

For these tablets to work, you HAVE to eat fat! If you eat no fat, then absolutely nothing will happen and it will be a complete waste of money! You will be given a booklet in the packet that gives you a calorie per day limit and a fat allowance per meal. I get 19g of fat per meal! This is plenty!

In fact I have to add fat such as cheese to my meals sometimes to get up to that limit! Tonight I am having a homemade tikka massalla (with light coconut milk) and shop bought naan bread. I definitely eat bacon, I even eat chips and crisps. Its just a case of counting.

I have never had oily discharge, or ruined a pair of knickers, I eat a very balanced diet, with more fat in than on most diets. This is how they work, they take a third of the fat you are eating and prevent that from being digested! It is great to see an oily sheen in the toilet that is showing you that they work!

And I am having a cheeseburger tomorrow night, admittedly I make it but it still contains beef and cheese, and I'll have it with oven chips!! I'm on the double strength tablets and that will not give me oily discharge!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    :sad: <<<< That is me crying from laughing soooo hard. Also there needs to be a smiley that pees his pants laughing..jus sayin"

THIS...all I keep thinking is Holy Sh**, this sh** is funny!!!:laugh:
  • horizonte22
    Options
    I used before and didn't like it... And I agree with everybody else, the "leak" is not pleasant. Try diet and exercising. It's less embarrassing...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Have to say, there is some incredibly incorrect information on here, it really is enough to put anyone off trying them! If you don't know, don't reply. People should be able to make informed decisions about these things.

For these tablets to work, you HAVE to eat fat! If you eat no fat, then absolutely nothing will happen and it will be a complete waste of money! You will be given a booklet in the packet that gives you a calorie per day limit and a fat allowance per meal. I get 19g of fat per meal! This is plenty!

In fact I have to add fat such as cheese to my meals sometimes to get up to that limit! Tonight I am having a homemade tikka massalla (with light coconut milk) and shop bought naan bread. I definitely eat bacon, I even eat chips and crisps. Its just a case of counting.

I have never had oily discharge, or ruined a pair of knickers, I eat a very balanced diet, with more fat in than on most diets. This is how they work, they take a third of the fat you are eating and prevent that from being digested! It is great to see an oily sheen in the toilet that is showing you that they work!

And I am having a cheeseburger tomorrow night, admittedly I make it but it still contains beef and cheese, and I'll have it with oven chips!! I'm on the double strength tablets and that will not give me oily discharge!
    You sound like you're losing lots of weight. This must be a miracle supplement..........................:yawn:
  • Mitchlou84
    Options

You sound like you're losing lots of weight. This must be a miracle supplement..........................:yawn:

Yes I am losing a lot of weight actually! It is very easy to count fat grams if you are already calorie counting! I cook all meals from scratch except the occasional portion of oven chips and so I know how many fat grams are in there. Like I said because a lot of my meals are made using extra lean mince or chicken etc, I often have to add a bit of cheese to get my fat grams up!

Oh and if you wanted to you could even eat a Mcdonalds cheeseburger without side effects! That wouldn't be the point of the diet but really does prove you have no idea what you're talking about!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I always find it ironic that all of the pills, shakes, and shortcuts require you to change either your eating habits or your exercise habits...hmmmm...not so much of a miracle since the end result we desire comes from the change and not the "miracle". I want a miracle that requires me to do absolutely nothing but sit on my a** and eat whatever I want whenever I want in the quantity I can't even stomach and still reach the end result. Oh WAIT...that's what helped get me here in the first place.

Whatever change the pill is wanting you to make, make it, and you will see the difference without the side effects.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

seems it works out nicely for you and not so nicely for others... I've never used it. Never had a reason, but I can say I am jealous about you having (getting) to add cheese. Boo for me, but yay to you for seeing/getting positive side effects on your journey.
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I always find it ironic that all of the pills, shakes, and shortcuts require you to change either your eating habits or your exercise habits...hmmmm...not so much of a miracle since the end result we desire comes from the change and not the "miracle". I want a miracle that requires me to do absolutely nothing but sit on my a** and eat whatever I want whenever I want in the quantity I can't even stomach and still reach the end result. Oh WAIT...that's what helped get me here in the first place.

Whatever change the pill is wanting you to make, make it, and you will see the difference without the side effects.

You're right, you do have to stick to a 1800 cal diet (less if you aren't that overweight) and 60g of fat a day! However if you eat 60g of fat a day, 20g will be washed away in the toilet which does equate to faster weight loss, so I take it for that reason, but also because if I take my tablets with breakfast and lunch then I would still get nasty side effects if I ate a really bad dinner like a pizza hut pizza, because it would still be there in my system. So it prevents me from reaching for bad food or snacks! Not everyone needs the help, but its handy!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    LOW fat! don't eat any salad dressing or bacon - don't eat any fat - don't take risks

Fat is not the enemy! There are plenty of healthy fats out there....

I would avoid something like Alli at all costs. Why put your body, wallet (and your self esteem) through that?

You are in the right place for support with MFP.

Good luck!
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern with supplements/dietary aids such as Alli is that they can be taken off the market at any time by the FDA. Phen-phen, anyone?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    9505200.jpg
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

Yes I am losing a lot of weight actually! It is very easy to count fat grams if you are already calorie counting! I cook all meals from scratch except the occasional portion of oven chips and so I know how many fat grams are in there. Like I said because a lot of my meals are made using extra lean mince or chicken etc, I often have to add a bit of cheese to get my fat grams up!

Oh and if you wanted to you could even eat a Mcdonalds cheeseburger without side effects! That wouldn't be the point of the diet but really does prove you have no idea what you're talking about!

As I reported earlier, the learning curve is steep. A few questions for you though; if you are eating so well now, with low fat and all, why are you still using artificial means to accomplish your losses? And in extra strength? Do you plan on being on this medication for the rest of your life? Why do you come across so hostile towards these people who are responding? I do indeed know of my experiences with Orlistat; I took the medication, it worked as advertised. It completely changed my dietary intake for months after I stopped taking it, because it was so effective. However, I felt that it was unsustainable change. I want to LIVE, and there is more to living than just being alive.
  • Mitchlou84
    Options

As I reported earlier, the learning curve is steep. A few questions for you though; if you are eating so well now, with low fat and all, why are you still using artificial means to accomplish your losses? And in extra strength? Do you plan on being on this medication for the rest of your life? Why do you come across so hostile towards these people who are responding? I do indeed know of my experiences with Orlistat; I took the medication, it worked as advertised. It completely changed my dietary intake for months after I stopped taking it, because it was so effective. However, I felt that it was unsustainable change. I want to LIVE, and there is more to living than just being alive.

I haven't had any issue with anything you've written at all. It does frustrate me though that this is something that could work for people, but people post things about not being able to eat bacon which is just so not true, or people post sarcastic comments when they don't know how it works so it automatically puts people off!

I hate restrictive diets, and I don't stick to them. This works for me because 60g of fat is not restrictive! You are able to eat really pretty normally. Yes the pepperoni pizza might have to go, as might a lot of fast foods but isn't that the point of a diet anyway?

I am on it as I said because whilst not a miracle cure it does help you to lose more weight than dieting alone, and I have a lot to lose due to a previously untreated underactive thyroid. Plus I have been known to emotionally eat when stressed and it stops me from doing that!

The reason that I don't think its worth the bad press it gets is that diets that involve meal replacements etc or bannning food groups teach you nothing about healthy eating. With this you learn the calories and fat in food which helps you to make good choices!

I don't know how long I'll be on it, cost is a factor but as I still have 4 stone to lose I'm hoping to be on it for most of that! I think I will be able to come off it, and not gain though as I don't feel deprived of anything really except KFC ;-) I'll just have to see what my doctor decides!
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    Not to name names or point fingers, but lots of incorrect info here (and ROTF LMAO stuff). I would save my money to put toward some healthy eats or a good pair of tennis shoes :)

From the Alli website...alli blocks 25% of the fat you eat from being absorbed, and the fat that isn't absorbed is harmlessly passed through your bowels. As a result, you may experience some bowel changes during the first few weeks of use. These alli side effects are most likely to occur after taking an alli capsule and eating a meal containing more than 15 grams of fat. Staying below your fat threshold lowers the chance of these alli side effects. If you do experience a alli side effects, it may be because you've gone beyond your target. It's helpful to think of these effects as reminders from your body that you need to stick to lower-fat foods.

Also Alli does not differentiate between "good" and "bad" fats...this drug also blocks all those essential fats that we need to be healthy.
    Those acids include omega-3 fatty acids, which is why you're hearing about all the benefits of eating oily fish like salmon. But people who are taking this drug are inevitably blocking the absorption of these essential fatty acids as well as blocking the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins that go along with them. Some of those vitamins are extremely important to human health. The fat-soluble vitamins include vitamin E, vitamin A and vitamin D.
  • kaycee526
    kaycee526 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Can't believe I'm posting this...I use Alli nearly everyday and rarely have any embarrassing "side effects," even if I eat fatty foods. That's not to say my record is 100%. Yes, I have sharted once or twice over the past couple years, but only in the privacy of my own home where it can be quickly delt with. :noway:

There's nothing quite as rewarding as seeing beads of undigested fat floating top of the toilet water. I play a little game with myself and try to guess how many calories I avoided (9 calories per gram). Looking into the bowl, I go, "Yup, that's at least 65 cals. Yes!"

...I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit....BUT was laughing really hard at the same time!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I took Xenical (prescription version of Alli) for a while a couple of years ago. I never had a problem with side effects but I was warned in advance by my doctor and I paid very close attention to the fat content of everything I ate. If I had an occasional high-fat meal as a treat (more than around 12g of fat) then I simply did not take a pill with that meal.

The results were ok, I guess. I did lose weight but not particularly rapidly, so I don't know if Xenical made much of a difference. I don't think it worked that well for me because my diet was not high in fat to begin with. I'm overweight because of too many calories from carbs and booze, not because of too much fat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I already eat McDonald's cheeseburgers. I don't believe in dieting and don't advocate to any clients. I'm more than familiar with Alli. It's nothing more than a "watered down" version of Orlistat (which you need a prescription for). And the stats for aren't that impressive, however the stat that most sticks out is that people who used Orlistat for 1 year maintained most of their weight loss, but once provided with a placebo gained the weight back.
    There were a total of 403 subjects out of 1187 enrolled subjects who completed the two years of the study. The orlistat group lost weight more rapidly and they lost more weight as well. Over 65% of the patients on Orlistat lost over5% of their initial body weight compared with the 43% of placebo treated patients in the first year. The second year the 39% of the orlistat group lost about 10%of their initial body weight compared to the 25% of the placebo group. Weight loss was well maintained during the first year and those who stayed on orlistat during the second year maintained their weight. However, those who were on orlistat the first year and placed in the placebo group the second year regained most of their weight. To view the results in closer detail click on the hypertext link at directing you to JAMA (AMA.org).
    I've done more than enough research to know that this is NOTHING more than diet crutch. But keep taking them pills to keep that weight off. And do keep spare underwear too...............just in case.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not to name names or point fingers, but lots of incorrect info here (and ROTF LMAO stuff). I would save my money to put toward some healthy eats or a good pair of tennis shoes :)

From the Alli website...alli blocks 25% of the fat you eat from being absorbed, and the fat that isn't absorbed is harmlessly passed through your bowels. As a result, you may experience some bowel changes during the first few weeks of use. These alli side effects are most likely to occur after taking an alli capsule and eating a meal containing more than 15 grams of fat. Staying below your fat threshold lowers the chance of these alli side effects. If you do experience a alli side effects, it may be because you've gone beyond your target. It's helpful to think of these effects as reminders from your body that you need to stick to lower-fat foods.

Also Alli does not differentiate between "good" and "bad" fats...this drug also blocks all those essential fats that we need to be healthy.
    Those acids include omega-3 fatty acids, which is why you're hearing about all the benefits of eating oily fish like salmon. But people who are taking this drug are inevitably blocking the absorption of these essential fatty acids as well as blocking the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins that go along with them. Some of those vitamins are extremely important to human health. The fat-soluble vitamins include vitamin E, vitamin A and vitamin D.
    This^. Having to add fat because the pill expels it is pretty ironic if you ask me. So you spend more money on fat supplements because Alli expels the essential fats you need. So spending about $100 a month for about 4lbs a month (average according to Alli and Orlistat studies). Yeah that's cost effective.
  • apache539
    Options
    I did not like Alli and did not looose any weight. When I went off it I still had the oily discharge and diahrea after every meal. When I went to the doctor he said it killed all my good bacteria. I had to take a probiotic for months to get back to normal.