Signs that Calories are Too Low

13»

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Answering the OP’s question, fitness performance dips.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I would highly suggest setting it to .5 a week. I'm 5'3 and 135 down from 155 last year. Every time I would set mine to 1200 a week (2lbs a week), I would get too hungry or fatigued and throw in the towel. Last year I set it to .5 loss a week. And, over the course of 8 months I have lost 20 and have kept it off so far. It was slow. Very slow overall, but this is the longest I have kept it off since like 10 years ago, lol. So even though it's slower (annoyingly so sometimes) I feel like the .5 lb gives you the opportunity to slowly tweak your eating and activity habits in a much more sustainable way. If eating more doesn't solve the racing heart though, a visit to the doctor is in order! If it's nothing, then great! But if it's something, it's best to get on it early! Good luck.

Also come check out this group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/499-not-that-heavy-girls It's a great group for advice and accountability.
  • alexhayg
    alexhayg Posts: 96 Member
    alexhayg wrote: »
    Can I point out that I was actually kind of right 😂 not sure why my post got so many 'woo's (tbh not sure what that reaction is supposed to be). Good luck with your healthy lifestyle, I hope you manage to get the results you are looking for. Just remember, to keep it maintainable 👍👍

She should not be eating under her BMR. BMR is the calories a person requires to stay alive if they’re in a coma.

The “woo” reaction basically means what the post says is untrue, incorrect, or, in some cases, based on pseudo-science.

Sorry but I didn't say to eat under the BMR. I said that this is the base number of calories, I.e. the minimum that should be eaten everyday.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Can I point out that I was actually kind of right 😂 not sure why my post got so many 'woo's (tbh not sure what that reaction is supposed to be). Good luck with your healthy lifestyle, I hope you manage to get the results you are looking for. Just remember, to keep it maintainable 👍👍

She should not be eating under her BMR. BMR is the calories a person requires to stay alive if they’re in a coma.

The “woo” reaction basically means what the post says is untrue, incorrect, or, in some cases, based on pseudo-science.

Sorry but I didn't say to eat under the BMR. I said that this is the base number of calories, I.e. the minimum that should be eaten everyday.

I think there is some confusion here as to the difference between BMR and TDEE. BMR is only the base number of calories a person should eat each day IF they’re in a coma or bedridden. MFP doesn’t give you your BMR. TDEE is the estimated number of calories your body burns each day through normal activity and exercise together. MFP gives you a calorie goal based on how active you tell it you are before intentional exercise. This is called the NEAT method, with a deficit built in. In this case, it sounds like op picked too steep a deficit for her height and weight.

PS. I don’t remember what all of these acronyms stand for off-hand, but I’m sure someone else can help with that if you’re curious. 😃
  • witchaywoman81

I think there is some confusion here as to the difference between BMR and TDEE. BMR is only the base number of calories a person should eat each day IF they’re in a coma or bedridden. MFP doesn’t give you your BMR. TDEE is the estimated number of calories your body burns each day through normal activity and exercise together. MFP gives you a calorie goal based on how active you tell it you are before intentional exercise. This is called the NEAT method, with a deficit built in. In this case, it sounds like op picked too steep a deficit for her height and weight.

PS. I don’t remember what all of these acronyms stand for off-hand, but I’m sure someone else can help with that if you’re curious. 😃

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    NEAT = Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis

Phew! Thank you! 🙏🏻
  • witchaywoman81
    BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate ( Calories burned by just existing)
    NEAT= Non-Excercise Activity Thermogenisis (Calories burned by normal daily activity. Things like your job, your activities around the house, etc all effect this number this is what MFP bases your calories on.)
    TDEE= Total Daily Energy Expedenture (Calories burned Existing + going about your day + purposful excercise. I guess this would be the total number of NET calories MFP might give you at the end of the day, after you have logged your excersise)

Edit: I see @MichelleSilverleaf Beat me to it while I was typing this up. :wink:

Edit2: Also my spelling kind of sucks. Sorry, lol!

Thank you as well! Also, such a sweet doggie! ❤️
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate ( Calories burned by just existing)
    NEAT= Non-Excercise Activity Thermogenisis (Calories burned by normal daily activity. Things like your job, your activities around the house, etc all effect this number this is what MFP bases your calories on.)
    TDEE= Total Daily Energy Expedenture (Calories burned Existing + going about your day + purposful excercise. I guess this would be the total number of NET calories MFP might give you at the end of the day, after you have logged your excersise)

Edit: I see @MichelleSilverleaf Beat me to it while I was typing this up. :wink:

Edit2: Also my spelling kind of sucks. Sorry, lol!

Thank you as well! Also, such a sweet doggie! ❤️

She's a good girl! :love: