I’ve been doing keto and I only eat about 1,200 calories a day. Is this enough?

Options
I’m 6’2”, 300lbs, 22, male. I started keto about a month ago and I’m just not ever hungry. I only eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m not and it usually always equals 1,200-1,300 a day. Is that enough for me to function properly? As long as I get my protein, I’m hoping it’ll be okay. I don’t want to lose hair or anything.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Not unless you're under a doctor's supervision. The minimum calorie requirement for most men (exceptions for very short/very sedentary) is 1500. You're 6'2". Did you plug your stats into MFP to get a calorie limit?

How are you measuring your food intake?
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Way too low for your stats.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The body can only burn so much fat, once it has done that it turns to muscle as a source of fuel. Protein can only do so much in helping you maintain your muscle. If you're losing more than a couple of pounds per week, eat more!

This is entirely incorrect. The only time your body would harvest mussels for protein is if you're not getting enough protein. Anybody on the keto diet is well covered in the protein and fat areas. Your body can harvest every single ounce of fat you have that is what it is there for. Your body is designed to store fat and burn fat on an as-needed basis.

What you are referring to typically only happens on your standard American lose weight diet of eating tons of whole grains an endless bowls of special k and Cheerios. You are taught that meat and fat is the enemy. People end up losing muscle mass and gaining weight.

Say what? :huh:

You know you’re a shill for Big Cereal. Don’t deny it!

I just spit my coffee!!! And I thought that said bowls of Cheetos!! :laugh:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    TatumAR22 wrote: »
    I’m 6’2”, 300lbs, 22, male. I started keto about a month ago and I’m just not ever hungry. I only eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m not and it usually always equals 1,200-1,300 a day. Is that enough for me to function properly? As long as I get my protein, I’m hoping it’ll be okay. I don’t want to lose hair or anything.

How are you measuring your calorie intake? You don't have your food diary open, so without being able to see what and how much you are eating, it's hard to get a good picture of the situation. I'm wondering if you may be eating more than you think.