Loose Skin - Opinions

Options
Hi there! I'm currently 17stone. I'm 22 years old and have been overweight most of my life. I'm around 5"7/8 and have previously lost about 3 stone a few years ago but have put it back on and more since.

I'm currently in the flat few days of trying to lose weight again and over the last year or so I have started to get stretch marks on my stomach which j have never had before. This has led me to wonder whether I will have loose skin when I lose weight.

What do you guys think? At only 22 it's really something that's worrying me.

I've attached photos so you call can see.

Thanks in advance!
0stptb1lrxn0.jpg
cqsbyd480st6.jpg

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    gilbertfun wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm currently 17stone. I'm 22 years old and have been overweight most of my life. I'm around 5"7/8 and have previously lost about 3 stone a few years ago but have put it back on and more since.

I'm currently in the flat few days of trying to lose weight again and over the last year or so I have started to get stretch marks on my stomach which j have never had before. This has led me to wonder whether I will have loose skin when I lose weight.

What do you guys think? At only 22 it's really something that's worrying me.

I've attached photos so you call can see.

Thanks in advance!

Loose skin issues concerns ALL ages, when having to drop weight, working towards the healthy weight range to start. Unfortunately, you'll have to be mindful of the essentials, for youth isn't a guarantee, generally speaking@damage control issues:
    • Your nutrition (Hit your ratios, conscious of your proteins: fats)
    • Your hydration
    • Your resistance training
    • Your skincare protocols (Exfoliation/Protection)
    • Your genetics
    • Having to consider if you're on any medication and its likely effects on your skin
    • If you do consume alcohol and/or smoke and its possible consequences
    • ETA: If you're inclined, a full body massage course treatment on a weekly basis for example.
    • From what I've seen, I doubt that you'll have loose skin issues from your body composition and its potential

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Your age is in your favour, and even if you do end up with some loose skin, remember;

1. It may be only for a short time, fat is lost at a much faster rate than the skin can shrink back. Skins continues to shrink back over a several years
    2. Loose skin is very thin witout fat in it, so won't show up much (it's the halfway stage when there is still some fat and it looks like a deflated balloon when it is most noticable to you, other will not notice)
    3. Loose skin is preferble and much more healthy than excess fat.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look like loose skin.. just looks like you need to shed some more pound.., (please take no offense)..but your skin does not look loose at all.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You might have loose skin. Eating healthy and weight lifting will help.

Im 24 and my skin is starting to look a little sad. Still with 35 pounds left to lose. I am happy to have loose skin and not carry an extra 110 pounds around.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 75# and have loose skin. It’s a way better option in the long run, trust me.
  • gilbertfun
    gilbertfun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help so far everyone - It's not deterring me from losing the weight, I still want to get fit and healthy. It's just something that was worrying me. I'm aiming for losing 2lbs per week and doing it through healthy eating and exercise.

When I previously lost weight (went from about 15 stone to 12 stone) I didn't have any loose skin, however I was around 16 at the time and I have a lot more to lose this time.

Just fingers crossed hopefully :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help so far everyone - It's not deterring me from losing the weight, I still want to get fit and healthy. It's just something that was worrying me. I'm aiming for losing 2lbs per week and doing it through healthy eating and exercise.

When I previously lost weight (went from about 15 stone to 12 stone) I didn't have any loose skin, however I was around 16 at the time and I have a lot more to lose this time.

That's good news, that you're not deterred!

One comment, from the perspective an anxious, granny-type li'l ol' lady (age 63), who loves to see people stay strong and healthy while achieving their goals:

Two pounds a week is fine, at the aggressive end of fine, for your current weight. As you get below 200 pounds (around 14 stone), I'd strongly suggest dialing that back a bit (as an actual loss rate - what you're seeing, on average, on the scale).

I applaud that you have fitness and health goals, not just weight loss goals. Keeping weight loss rate on the sensible side will help you balance all of those goals. (Losing too fast stresses our bodies, which is bad for health; and undercuts developing our fitness, because we need sound nutrition and adequate calories in order to make fitness progress.)

Many people around here think it's a good plan to average no more than 1% of current body weight loss per week, and probably slower than that (especially for smaller people) within 50 pounds of goal. Of course, slower than the max is always fine, if that's more sustainable. (A routine you can stick with long term is really the key to losing weight and staying at a healthy weight permanently.)

I lost a little too fast at first by accident (MFP underestimated my calorie needs), when I was about 13 stone. I got weak and fatigued, and even though I corrected as soon as I realized, it took several weeks to get back to normal. I don't want to see anyone else go through that!

You seem like a pretty sharp young woman, so you may know all of this already. But as that anxious granny-type, I worry that people may've gotten unrealistic/not-sensible ideas from weight loss reality TV shows and extreme weight loss IG-ers and blogs.

Stay strong! :)
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I think 2lbs a week is too fast for skin to keep up. To avoid loose skin, heard it’s 2lbs a month max weight loss? Build that muscle mass and less body fat to see where you’ll be at with that problem