Caloric needs

I am 18 years old with a very active lifestyle(works as a stocker at Walmart which takes 15-20k steps a day) and also work at dunkin donuts where i take around 5-7k steps, i’ve been eating at 4k calories a day but still haven’t gained any weight snd I am really having a hard time to take all these calories in with my school, work schedule so i think id have a harder time if i up it again. Is there somethingn wrong with me that im not gaining any weight at 4k cals a day or am i just super active? Note: i also workout 3x a week high intensity weight lifting and i weight all my food intake religiously. Any tips?

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    How long have you been eating that much?
  • OnalimOjag
    OnalimOjag Posts: 79 Member
    Almost 2 weeks. I’ve been bulking since november where i started at 2600 calories but kept increasing cause I couldn’t see any weight gain.
  • OnalimOjag
    I don’t see any noticable increase on my lifts either and I lift hard as much as I can.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    OnalimOjag wrote: »
    I don’t see any noticable increase on my lifts either and I lift hard as much as I can.

Also adding to the post above, are you following a structured lifting program with built in progression and recovery? I was just a bit alarmed when I saw 'I lift as hard as I can and as much as I can'.

If you aren't take a look at the programs in this link.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You most likely didn't start your bulk on the right amount of calories, keep adjusting upwards and look for a 3-4 week in trend in your scale weight.
  • OnalimOjag
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything unusual about an active 18 yo male maintaining on 4000 calories. I would suggest eating more calorie dense foods. If you need to, drink some of your calories (e.g., milk, possibly protein shake w/peanut butter in it, etc.) You don't need to turn into a junk food junkie but allowing yourself a bit more high calorie foods could help, even if it's just something like switching from low fat to higher fat yogurt, etc.

I started taking on seriois mass protein powder yesterday to help me reach my 4k calorie intake a little bit easier instead of taking all frok food such as (steak,chicken,etc)
  • OnalimOjag
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Also adding to the post above, are you following a structured lifting program with built in progression and recovery? I was just a bit alarmed when I saw 'I lift as hard as I can and as much as I can'.

If you aren't take a look at the programs in this link.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You most likely didn't start your bulk on the right amount of calories, keep adjusting upwards and look for a 3-4 week in trend in our scale weight.

I do follow a structured program from the forum that you posted. I do a 3 day muscle split because thats the amount of days I could go to the gym with my school and work schedule.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    4,000 isn't a lot for an active 18 year old. I'm old and have a sedentary desk job and spend about 5-6 hours per week with deliberate exercise and I maintain on 3,000...sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more.
  • OnalimOjag
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    4,000 isn't a lot for an active 18 year old. I'm old and have a sedentary desk job and spend about 5-6 hours per week with deliberate exercise and I maintain on 3,000...sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more.

Wow, I thought 3000 was a lot for me before loo. I guess I was just never used to eating this much.
  • Giantorange
    Giantorange Posts: 6 Member
    Not an expert at bodybuilding, but you won't see much difference in the short term training 3 times per week. In all the sports I have done 3 sessions is barely maintenance. 5-6 sessions per week, on a 4 week cycle may be better. Also, when you say you aren't seeing much difference, over what time period is this? You aren't going to put on several Kg of muscle in a matter of weeks, no matter what you do.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I don't think there's anything unusual about an active 18 yo male maintaining on 4000 calories. I would suggest eating more calorie dense foods. If you need to, drink some of your calories (e.g., milk, possibly protein shake w/peanut butter in it, etc.) You don't need to turn into a junk food junkie but allowing yourself a bit more high calorie foods could help, even if it's just something like switching from low fat to higher fat yogurt, etc.

I started taking on seriois mass protein powder yesterday to help me reach my 4k calorie intake a little bit easier instead of taking all frok food such as (steak,chicken,etc)

All the foods you mention are proteins. Are you including any fats or carbs in your diet? The former, especially, could make it easier to hit whatever calorie level you need to gain weight. Also, you do need some fat in your diet.
    And there is a point beyond which more protein isn't doing anything extra for you in terms of gaining muscle. If you're getting 4K calories and most of it is protein, I'd say you've definitely hit that point.
  • OnalimOjag

All the foods you mention are proteins. Are you including any fats or carbs in your diet? The former, especially, could make it easier to hit whatever calorie level you need to gain weight. Also, you do need some fat in your diet.
    And there is a point beyond which more protein isn't doing anything extra for you in terms of gaining muscle. If you're getting 4K calories and most of it is protein, I'd say you've definitely hit that point.

I do eat a lot of rice/potatoes and such so I think my macros are fine.