Would this upset you?

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
1) Let's say you make plans with person A to see a movie the next day. Person A sleeps in so doesn't text you until later, so you don't get to see the movie.

Then a couple days later, you're at a party with a couple friends, and you hear that person A is making plans with person B to see the same movie the next day... but never asked you if you wanted to go.

2) you make plans to go see a movie with some friends, have opportunities to go see it without them but don't do it, then find out that they went without you.

3) You're friends with family A, B, and C. B doesn't care much about C. C invites everyone to a New Year's party, nobody answers the text, you'd rather hang out with A, but don't want anyone to be left out, so you make plans with C and make an effort to include B (A was invited too). You find out before the party that the wife in A doesn't really feel like going out and being social.. but nobody else says anything. You spend hours cooking for all those people. Find out 2 hours after the start of the party that B is hanging out with A (they did end up going to C... 2.5 hours late).

Now, I have a bad history with friends (they all eventually left me), I have depression and anxiety, and sometimes my heart doesn't really follow what my heads says, but I got to ask... am I wrong to feel left out? I still can't get over the NYE party - I tried so hard to make sure that nobody got upset or left out, and I'm the one who ended up hurt in the end (I don't know if C really cared or not... they're not as close to everyone else as I am).

Thoughts? Experiences? My friendship story is pretty messy and I had pretty much given up altogether until I met A. And sometimes I just wonder if it wasn't just so much easier then.

Replies

• george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Y'all just need to talk to each other. Confirm more, assume less.
  • Francl27
    george5911 wrote: »

A is really bad about talking about things she doesn't feel like bothering with, including returning calls and texts.
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    edited January 2019
    Francl27 wrote: »
    1) Let's say you make plans with person A to see a movie the next day. Person A sleeps in so doesn't text you until later, so you don't get to see the movie.

What did she say in the text ?

Then a couple days later, you're at a party with a couple friends, and you hear that person A is making plans with person B to see the same movie the next day... but never asked you if you wanted to go.

I would be pissed off .

2) you make plans to go see a movie with some friends, have opportunities to go see it without them but don't do it, then find out that they went without you.

Again I would be pissed off.

• RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member

This applies to everything in life, in general.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

A is really bad about talking about things she doesn't feel like bothering with, including returning calls and texts.

Translation, A is a big fat jerk to other people? Or just to you?

Either way, I wouldn't stay friends with someone who stood me up without even a text, unless there was one heck of a lot better excuse than sleeping late. It sounds like C got shafted on NY too, I would be pretty annoyed if I invited everyone to a party and someone I invited ignored me and planned another party. Y'all need to all start being more courteous and having higher expectations.
  • george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Tab A needs to meet Slot B.

Problem solved.

A proven problem solver over the history of mankind. Often leads to new problems, but at least you're moving it right?
  • Francl27
    A's husband is a very dear friend also... that's why it's hard to deal with.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Number 2 would be a friendship ender.
    The other stuff is not so bad if not part of a pattern.
    "A" sounds like a *kitten* friend who I would stop making plans with.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    I've always been the person who has messy friendships, used to be that person. I later found out I was an awesome doormat, I let people take advantage of me and set my own self up to be hurt in the long run.

To be perfectly honest, it sounds like you're the doormat that everyone wants to be around when it best suits them. Don't put up with that *kitten*, you have to take care of you and your feelings. Tell them how you feel, if A doesn't like to talk, then she isn't a friend you want. I get loners and antisocial people, but that's all messy and it seems like you're their doormat.

I'm not a 2nd choice, either you want to hang out with me or you don't, but I'm not a 2nd choice. Neither are you and if your friends treat you like that, then you are the 2nd choice to them. You need to make new friends who will respect you as you deserve.
  • Francl27
    I've always been the person who has messy friendships, used to be that person. I later found out I was an awesome doormat, I let people take advantage of me and set my own self up to be hurt in the long run.

To be perfectly honest, it sounds like you're the doormat that everyone wants to be around when it best suits them. Don't put up with that *kitten*, you have to take care of you and your feelings. Tell them how you feel, if A doesn't like to talk, then she isn't a friend you want. I get loners and antisocial people, but that's all messy and it seems like you're their doormat.

I'm not a 2nd choice, either you want to hang out with me or you don't, but I'm not a 2nd choice. Neither are you and if your friends treat you like that, then you are the 2nd choice to them. You need to make new friends who will respect you as you deserve.

Yeah I hear you. My main issue really is that, as I said above, A's husband is actually super reliable and always helping me out... but he still goes where his wife goes, typically.... and I don't really blame him for that obviously... I just don't want to lose his friendship over this. A is actually awesome at times too... but it just seems to be too often on her own terms.

Then there's B and, as much as I like her (in small quantities), I'm still very upset that she stayed at A for 2 hours instead of coming over.

I'm not a social person and didn't really look for friends, it just happened. I'm all 'all or nothing' person and I'm just so tired of being disappointed by friends (but I know, we have families, kids and their moods, and A and B often will make their decisions based on their kids' moods too).
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Look Debbie, ( you sound like one i know) your friend A is an inconsiderate jerk. And if C invited everyone to the party why are you cooking?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    The husband/wife situation does complicate things. Can you make plans through A's husband? Or, if that doesn't work for you, can your husband make the plans with him? Either way, if his wife doesn't handle social engagements responsibly, she needs to be not the person you deal with.

Moods, schmoods, anyone can find time for a text. There's no excuse in the modern world for not letting someone know whether or not you plan to show up and when.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member

Yeah I hear you. My main issue really is that, as I said above, A's husband is actually super reliable and always helping me out... but he still goes where his wife goes, typically.... and I don't really blame him for that obviously... I just don't want to lose his friendship over this. A is actually awesome at times too... but it just seems to be too often on her own terms.

Then there's B and, as much as I like her (in small quantities), I'm still very upset that she stayed at A for 2 hours instead of coming over.

I'm not a social person and didn't really look for friends, it just happened. I'm all 'all or nothing' person and I'm just so tired of being disappointed by friends (but I know, we have families, kids and their moods, and A and B often will make their decisions based on their kids' moods too).

Were you friends with A’s husband before meeting her? I could be wrong, maybe she doesn’t like how her husband is constantly helping you (another woman). A and B, sound like they possibly share some of the same feelings, in whatever is shared amongst them without you around, hence why you’re not included.

I wouldn’t chase them for making plans. The only person who appears to like all of you, is C. Are you married? Can someone else help you as much as A’s husband?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I won't deal with people that flaky.
    I would go to the movie by myself and not make plans with these people again.
  • Francl27
    I won't deal with people that flaky.
    I would go to the movie by myself and not make plans with these people again.

It's what I've been doing. I'm not making plans at all anymore.

Were you friends with A’s husband before meeting her? I could be wrong, maybe she doesn’t like how her husband is constantly helping you (another woman). A and B, sound like they possibly share some of the same feelings, in whatever is shared amongst them without you around, hence why you’re not included.

I wouldn’t chase them for making plans. The only person who appears to like all of you, is C. Are you married? Can someone else help you as much as A’s husband?

Yes I'm married. I did meet A's husband first but A's always said that she trusts us and isn't jealous (it's clear that they love each other, I don't think that's an issue at all). A and B have been friends longer than I've known them, but A does the same thing to B too. I mean, she used to have more friends, then wonder how they lost them...

I like C, she would definitely help too, but my kids (and one of my dogs) can't stand hers, so it's definitely been a problem. I didn't mention this either, but we met through our kids. My daughter is best friend with A and B's daughter, and my son is good friend with A's son too (should probably have mentioned this before, eh? Kids make everything so much more complicated). We actually went in vacations together too... We're really pretty close, which is why this has been getting really annoying.

And yes, my husband has made plans with A's husband before. He's always been complicated reliable as long as it doesn't include his wife.

Man, this was so much easier when I was in my teens, seriously. Hard for me because I would drop everything for my friend, and it hurts when you realize it doesn't go both ways (but again, A's husband has done a LOT for me, and has always been here for me when I really needed him - although obviously more for the practical stuff than the 'share your feelings' stuff).

What really stinks is that I haven't been doing well at all and I feel there's nobody I can call to talk about it.
    Human relationships are complex..get a cat.

I have one. And three dogs. So much easier, man.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Make plans with person D and don't look back.