Eating 1 tbsp of coconut oil

Options
Ok, i am always hungry... so recently tried taking a tablespoon of coconut oil in the am. It does fill me up, but makes me nautious. If I put it in coffee, it doesn’t bother me, but does not fill me up as much. Just curious if I’m still getting the full benefit of coconut oil when I put in coffee?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    What benefit are you looking for, other than fullness, that you think coconut oil would provide?

Eating it in coffee shouldn't be much different from eating it on its own, nutritionally. (I don't really see why it would be more/less satiating either way, but I'm willing to believe it is, for you, because satiation seems to be complicated and very individual).

Do fats satiate you as a generality? If so, what about trying other foods with fat, like peanut butter or cheese or bacon?

Most of the other purported benefits are, as noted in your other thread linked above, exaggerated.
  • frameloss
    frameloss Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes you will still be getting around 117 calories whether you eat it or drink it. Personally I would prefer to eat those calories from a food that I liked and didn't make me nauseous. Tablespoon of Peanut butter for example is scrummy, still filling though.

Thank you! I’ll try that instead!
  • frameloss
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What benefit are you looking for, other than fullness, that you think coconut oil would provide?

Eating it in coffee shouldn't be much different from eating it on its own, nutritionally. (I don't really see why it would be more/less satiating either way, but I'm willing to believe it is, for you, because satiation seems to be complicated and very individual).

Do fats satiate you as a generality? If so, what about trying other foods with fat, like peanut butter or cheese or bacon?

Most of the other purported benefits are, as noted in your other thread linked above, exaggerated.

Hi, I was mainly looking to not be so hungry all the time and always thinking about food. So, I’ll try peanut butter instead and see if that helps. Thank you!
  • frameloss
    Options
    If your goal by eating coconut oil is to be full then why don't you eat actual food... maybe I'm missing something here.

Hi, I tend to stress eat. So am trying to prevent that because when I’m full, I tend to not stress eat as much. I’m guessing my fat consumption was not high enough. After 10 yeArs of being within my goal range... I put on 10 pounds last yeAr that I am having trouble with.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    frameloss wrote: »
    Ok, i am always hungry... so recently tried taking a tablespoon of coconut oil in the am. It does fill me up, but makes me nautious. If I put it in coffee, it doesn’t bother me, but does not fill me up as much. Just curious if I’m still getting the full benefit of coconut oil when I put in coffee?

What benefit?

http://theconversation.com/coconut-oil-not-quite-poisonous-but-best-treated-with-caution-102130

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/well/eat/coconut-oil-good-bad-health.html
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Two eggs and cheese might fill you up just the same (higher fat) and not make you nauseous (and not really that many more calories).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents worth but I started slowly gaining too after being in maintenance and found I wasn't getting enough protein. You might try increasing protein and lowering carbs a bit and see if you are more satisfied. My fat is already higher than MFP default but my carbs were too high for me. I just seemed to be hungry all the time. That said, an egg or some peanut butter would give you some protein as well as the fat. Good luck and congrats on maintaining for so long!
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    frameloss wrote: »
    If your goal by eating coconut oil is to be full then why don't you eat actual food... maybe I'm missing something here.

Hi, I tend to stress eat. So am trying to prevent that because when I’m full, I tend to not stress eat as much. I’m guessing my fat consumption was not high enough. After 10 yeArs of being within my goal range... I put on 10 pounds last yeAr that I am having trouble with.

Are you doing anything to manage the stress? If eating is your coping mechanism, have you replaced in or are you only trying to remove it?