Why does Basmati rice have so many calories?

Options
I generally eat brown rice, never been a lover but its supposedly better for you so just have always ate it. Came across a post on Instagram saying about white and brown rice and there wasn't much difference bar fibre content and I do like white rice so went out and bought some at the weekend. Just had a shock when I go to enter it into MFP.

My typical brown basmati rice, 56g = 66 calories
White 52g = 186 calories

Nearly 3 times the amount of calories, I thought that can't be right but it is. The rice in question. https://bit.ly/2HlgGkj Why is this? I think I am gonna have to bin this, I can't justify the calories.

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ok this is a head *kitten* now. Here is a screen shot old Vs new https://imgur.com/a/IYLO7RJ I scanned from bar code
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    That's not a bad thing if you look at it sideways. This means your TDEE is a little bit higher than your previous data indicates!

Yes but this has annoyed me. Nearly all foods show as uncooked, why is rice different?
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    I think I'll go back to potatoes, I only ate rice as I thought it was low cal, are potatoes measured cooked or uncooked
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Check all your foods in something like the USDA Nutrient Database or Canadian Nutrient File (websites free online) whenever possible. It's the easiest way to be sure that you are logging the right nutrition info.
    I second this - very useful source.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    That's not a bad thing if you look at it sideways. This means your TDEE is a little bit higher than your previous data indicates!

Yes but this has annoyed me. Nearly all foods show as uncooked, why is rice different?

This might not be true depending on where you shop. Almost all groceries from Sainsbury's have labels for cooked.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    Don't know where you got the calorie content for your brown basmati, but it is dead wrong. The white looks correct though. There is very little difference in the calorie content of brown vs white rice, be it Jasmine, Basmati, long grain, etc.

I was actually thinking it was the white rice in the OP that looked off. The brown looks closer to correct.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    The problem is a lot of foods give you the nutritional info but dont say if it's cooked or not. Potatoes are a prime example. As for rice I'm giving up on it, my only real reason for eating it was low calorie and now it's not, still can't believe I've been tracking that wrong for 3 years.

Were you losing weight over the past 3 years?