Coffe options

Options
I know people can drink coffee and lattes while losing weight but my question is what kind of coffee and latte can we have ? Because some Starbucks and McDonald’s coffee and lattes are mixed with sugar and calories. Sometimes i get a sugar free vanilla iced coffee from McDonald’s which is around 120 cals for a small is that a good option ? Also i don’t like black coffee if you have any good tasty but healthy coffee options you have please suggest !!

Replies

• corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A good coffee is any that you can fit into your calorie deficit. I usually make my coffee at home w/ just stevia and those little tubs of creamer. But if I am at Starbucks I will get a grande skinny mocha with almond milk for 130 calories. or I get an Americano with Almond milk and 2 pumps of sugarfree cinnamon dolce or vanilla for 130 calories or less. If you stick to more coffee than the other added stuff you'll be fine.
  • Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A good coffee is any that you can fit into your calorie deficit. I usually make my coffee at home w/ just stevia and those little tubs of creamer. But if I am at Starbucks I will get a grande skinny mocha with almond milk for 130 calories. or I get an Americano with Almond milk and 2 pumps of sugarfree cinnamon dolce or vanilla for 130 calories or less. If you stick to more coffee than the other added stuff you'll be fine.
    That sounds like a good option thank you !!

• Ashlove5
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ashsabiha wrote: »
    That sounds like a good option thank you !!

Outside of trans-fats, there are no unhealthy foods... there are unhealthy ways of eating where you deprive your body of necessary nutrients but no single food is healthy/unhealthy. It's all about context and dosage - chips, twinkies, etc. are all okay as long as they are not crowding out foods that supply the nutrients that your body needs to survive and thrive.
    Thank youu for clearing that up !!!

• Ashlove5
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Where you spend your calories and how much you spend is completely up to you. No one can tell you if it is a good option or not because they are not you. It is a matter of personal preference and calorie budgeting.
    So i can even have unhealthy foods as long it fits my calorie budget ?

Most definitely. Be careful with the term "unhealthy" though because most foods have nutrients that we need to eat.

Calories do not differ from one food to the next.

The trick is sustainability. If you eat high caloric food that doesn't fill you up enough you may struggle. What you need is to figure out your personal balance between foods you find filling and treat foods.

Thank youu so much for explaining !!! I am pretty new to this and a lot of people say different stuff but your explanation seems legit and logical
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Generally, coffee that is not black is flavored with sugar, fat, or some combination of both.
    Pick your priorities.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Mcds caramel mocha coffee so I fit it in 1-2 times a month. Otherwise I stick to flavored beans at home, with splenda.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I mean there are tons of coffee options that are pretty low cal. i can go get a coffee with a touch of non fat milk or almond milk and that's easy to fit it. Daily i factor in (i.e. log) a half cup of non fat milk for my coffee and one cup of almond milk for my daily teas.

if i get a latte it's not daily, and i factor it in at the usual 140 cal. But i generally prefer to eat my calories.

you can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you stay in the calorie deficit. but calorie dense foods/drinking calories can lead to feeling much more hungry for some. it's a compromise.

I would guess not too many people are having 150++ calorie lattes DAILY (some there must be a group who loves their latte's that much but not a ton)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I know people can drink coffee and lattes while losing weight but my question is what kind of coffee and latte can we have ? Because some Starbucks and McDonald’s coffee and lattes are mixed with sugar and calories. Sometimes i get a sugar free vanilla iced coffee from McDonald’s which is around 120 cals for a small is that a good option ? Also i don’t like black coffee if you have any good tasty but healthy coffee options you have please suggest !!

Coffee is like <10 calories. It's what you add to it that makes it a potential calorie bomb. Sweetener comes in a variety of options - you can decide whether you prefer artifical sweetener or prefer to spend the calories for sugar. Milk/cream also comes in a variety of fat levels from skim milk to half & half to heavy cream - again your choice. Some places will have things like cinnamon or a variety of low/non-calorie SF flavor syrups you can add. Commercial creamers and blends used by shops will have a variety of calorie content and macros. Pretty much anywhere will at least let you specify how many sugars/sweetener packets/creamer tubs (usually half&half) to add.

That sugar-free iced coffee is adding about 110 calories of probably mostly fat mixed with some carbs (not bad, per se, - you get to choose whether it's worth it to you/where you'd prefer to get your calories from. Maybe you'd rather get it with skim milk or less milk and save some fat calories for ice cream. Maybe you really like it, and consider it worth it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder, chia seeds, and coconut to my coffee, and call it breakfast :smiley:

ya23rurxdr4o.png
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Like others have said you can drink and coffee if it’s within your calorie deficit. My only concern is sugar. Also I buy instant coffee at home so I have the control to the amount of sugar and cream I put into my coffee.