Would like to go to a gym but feel too intimidated

I have a lot to lose at about 100 lb and realise I need to excercise. I’ve never been to a gym in my life and the idea of going makes me very anxious. I will feel embarrassed in front of all the fit and healthy people, I’m not sure I can face it. Can anyone give me any pointers or share your experiences, it would really help. Thanks

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    If you want to you can exercise at home. Many people have your problem. I'd like to ask "who do you think should be going to the gym?"--- Exactly. Those that need or want to. If you're in one of those categories, well then, get going.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Set up an appointment with a personal trainer at the gym. Their attitude should tell you if you'll feel welcome or not, and they can give you direction in your workouts.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    I understand being self-conscious at the gym. As has been said, though, there are a wide variety of people at most gyms and most everyone is there to do their thing and get on with their life. You'll have anxiety at first, but before long you'll be just as focused as everyone else.

I know of what I speak - I go to a university gym where most everyone is thirty years younger than me and in better shape. :lol:
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    You can certainly exercise at home. YouTube has hundreds of exercise tutorials. If you need the incentive of working out with other people, know that what others are saying here is true. You are likely to see all fitness levels there, especially since it's the beginning of the year when people embark on resolutions. I recently became a member of our local YMCA, and a lot of people I'm seeing are in worse shape than I am.
  • shannonnduncan1
    shannonnduncan1 Posts: 3 Member
    I go to Planet Fitness and they stay true to the no critics rule, everyone is there for the same reason. As long as you’re putting yourself first and doing the best you can, you’ll be surrounded by people willing to help and who are on a very similar journey. You’ve got this, and you can do it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    zfaque wrote: »
    I have a lot to lose at about 100 lb and realise I need to excercise. I’ve never been to a gym in my life and the idea of going makes me very anxious. I will feel embarrassed in front of all the fit and healthy people, I’m not sure I can face it. Can anyone give me any pointers or share your experiences, it would really help. Thanks

You would be surprised by the variety of body shapes you'll see at the gym. Not everyone is "fit and healthy", there are lots of people who, like you, are just starting out. Don't let your perception become your reality, most people are there to work out and aren't really concerned / interested in what others look like or are doing.

Keep in mind also that losing weight doesn't necessarily require joining a gym and/or exercise. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, exercise results in improved fitness (you'd be surprised by the number of people who are over their "ideal" weight who are running marathons & triathlons etc.........you can be overweight and fit or slim and unfit,they don't necessarily go hand in hand)
  • ckh825
    ckh825 Posts: 23 Member
    You are not the only one in this boat. I am 300+ and I would love to go to the gym. Since I started to lose weight, I noticed that I now need to tone up. But you right it is hard to go into the gym . But remember if you decided to go, you are doing it for you not anybody else in that gym. It is a huge step, but remember we all started somewhere.
    But I also work out at home. I have a treadmill, a step thing, and some weights. Either way you go, you are making a better change for you and that is all that really matters
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I've been in and out of gyms for much of my life. In my experience, while there are fit and healthy people there, there are usually far more people trying to get fit and healthy...and the fit and healthy one's had to start somewhere also.

That said, a gym is not required to lose weight or to get some exercise in. I go to the gym to lift weights a few days per week...and some cardio if the weather is bad...otherwise, most of my exercise is outside on my road bike. I didn't start going to the gym again until I was a few months into my weight loss...When I started, I mostly did a lot of walking and body weight exercises and then just advanced from there.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    After losing 50lb I'm in my phase 2 and still have a lot to lose too. I joined a gym last week as I wanted to do some toning, I was very nervous and thought long and hard about it. I've joined with a buddy, which will help, but before doing so we went and had a look around, found out when the busy times were, so we could avoid them. We went back again to meet the staff, who were absolutely lovely and put us really at ease. We felt very comfortable, so much so that I did a session on my own.

I completely understand how you feel so would recommend meeting the staff and asking for a trial period if possible. If you explain your worries and they can reassure you then you're half way there. And if you're still not sure try working out at home until you see some results and try again.
    Best of luck.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    leiflung wrote: »
    Those of us who are fit and healthy usually want other people to be fit and healthy. This is usually more so the healthier and fitter you get. If you want a really open, welcoming atmosphere, go to a serious Gold's Gym type of lifting place which is going to be the most intimidating from the outside, likely the most welcoming on the inside.

I go to the gym and see somebody who looks really out of shape, it's all I can do to keep my mouth shut and stay in my lane. We want to be Jehova's witnesses about it. We see you working out and we're like Emperor Palpatine, "Yes, yes, feel burn in your muscles. Cooooome to the fit side."

So many people are going to be secretly rooting for you, OMG you have NO IDEA.

We're restraining ourselves. Just ask one question, you'll suddenly be drowning in advice, encouragement, positivity.

I waver between being the person you just described and being exactly like the op and feeling like all the 20somethings(my oldest sons age) are judging me.

Op, go! You will find a grove, a place, maybe even some people to workout with. I understand feeling like all eyes are on you, I have always had poor self esteem and have felt this way at my very heaviest and my very fittest. But, if you wanna be at the gym, then be there. Hire someone to teach you about the equipment or get a trainer for a session or two to get you started with a routine so you don’t feel like you are wandering. Or, at the very least, make a list of simple moves you already know how to do(bicep curls, crunches) and grab a mat, do a few sets of those and then head for a bike and watch your surroundings for a bit. It won’t take much time and you will feel far more comfy there.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

I felt exactly like you did. In some ways even worse because I was starting out with a water aerobics class so I had to walk around in a bathing suit will all my spandex clad fat available for viewing. You know what? Nobody cared. The looks I got were mostly "who's the new girl?" type looks.

Check out a few places and see if they tend to cater to the really fit or to everybody. You want a simple program to start so ask what programs they offer. If you are looking for some place that has equipment rather than classes, look for a place that offers free introductory sessions with a trainer so you can learn proper technique.

Trust me, most people are too into their own workout to pay attention. Be polite, wipe down anything after using it, and smile and nod when you meet someone's eye and you will be fine. The hardest part is the first day. Once you have been there once, the rest is much easier.
  • zfaque
    zfaque Posts: 7 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Can you call the gym and find out when their busy and slow times are, then go during the slow times so there will be less people around? Would that help?
    Can you call the gym and find out when their busy and slow times are, then go during the slow times so there will be less people around? Would that help?

• zfaque
    zfaque Posts: 7 Member
    I’m not sure how I’ve entered that 3 times?! Let’s hope I do better on this journey than I do with technology. Many thanks all for your responses. I think I’ll start with you tube excercises then when I feel more confident I will call the gym to see when the less busy times are and give it a go. Thanks again all