Coffe options

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    I find if I'm trying to drink coffee with less 'stuff' I will order and americano instead of basic coffee. It seems to be a better flavour and judt requires less fixing. ;)
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    I drink my coffee with flavored hazelnut creamer. I’m willing to give up/restrict alcohol but I am NOT willing to change my morning coffee. If I do, I’d be in jail.
  • Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ashsabiha wrote: »
    Where you spend your calories and how much you spend is completely up to you. No one can tell you if it is a good option or not because they are not you. It is a matter of personal preference and calorie budgeting.
    So i can even have unhealthy foods as long it fits my calorie budget ?

Most definitely. Be careful with the term "unhealthy" though because most foods have nutrients that we need to eat.

Calories do not differ from one food to the next.

The trick is sustainability. If you eat high caloric food that doesn't fill you up enough you may struggle. What you need is to figure out your personal balance between foods you find filling and treat foods.

Thank youu so much for explaining !!! I am pretty new to this and a lot of people say different stuff but your explanation seems legit and logical

It is very common to think that there is "diet" food. I thought that myself for a long time and it caused many weight loss attempts to fail for me.

There are many helpful threads pinned to the top of this forum. They can help dispel other diet myths as well as help you understand how to log your food correctly and scale weight fluctuations that can cause many people problems as they once did me.
    Most of the confusion comes from people who tell you to avoid a lot of foods while losing weight mostly carbs are told to be avoided , to only eat veggies , and fruits and salads that’s what society always showed you should be eating if you are trying to be fit. Mean while in my fitness pal people are pretty supportive of eating what ever as long as it fits your calorie deficit which confuses me because a lot of people all over youtube and online are making it seem like having foods that are unhealthier within your calorie deficit can sabotage your weight loss. I once had a doctor who even told me to avoid orange juice or bread or rice i don’t get why we are told to do that ?

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    you ask a good question. yes, you can have whatever you want as long as you don't go over your calories. But ...something like a sugary coffee drink can keep you going over calories and lead to weight gain or no loss. So, rethinking how you can cut calories in all the things you eat and drink will help you achieve your weight loss goals.
    Look at the calories on the cartons of half and half, whole, skim, and almond milk in the grocery store. There is quite a difference. Myself.. I measure out a cup of skim milk and use it in my lattes..I have a few a day (90 calories). I don't like almond milk..wish I did.. it is lower in calories.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Love my daily lattes! And they help with my calcium intake. I don’t seem to have trouble budgeting for them, but I’m reasonably active
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    My most frequent food is half and half. I’ve given up a lot, even reduced coffee but thus far no good substitute. On the positive, I don’t need sugar.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    FYI

If you like espresso drinks and there's a Whole Foods nearby, try their coffee bar. Half the price of Starbucks (16 oz triple) and consistently better.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Where you spend your calories and how much you spend is completely up to you. No one can tell you if it is a good option or not because they are not you. It is a matter of personal preference and calorie budgeting.

Most definitely. Be careful with the term "unhealthy" though because most foods have nutrients that we need to eat.

The trick is sustainability. If you eat high caloric food that doesn't fill you up enough you may struggle. What you need is to figure out your personal balance between foods you find filling and treat foods.

Thank youu so much for explaining !!! I am pretty new to this and a lot of people say different stuff but your explanation seems legit and logical

It is very common to think that there is "diet" food. I thought that myself for a long time and it caused many weight loss attempts to fail for me.

There are many helpful threads pinned to the top of this forum. They can help dispel other diet myths as well as help you understand how to log your food correctly and scale weight fluctuations that can cause many people problems as they once did me.
    Most of the confusion comes from people who tell you to avoid a lot of foods while losing weight mostly carbs are told to be avoided , to only eat veggies , and fruits and salads that’s what society always showed you should be eating if you are trying to be fit. Mean while in my fitness pal people are pretty supportive of eating what ever as long as it fits your calorie deficit which confuses me because a lot of people all over youtube and online are making it seem like having foods that are unhealthier within your calorie deficit can sabotage your weight loss. I once had a doctor who even told me to avoid orange juice or bread or rice i don’t get why we are told to do that ?

I think the idea is that there are many foods that are fairly calorie dense. These are generally what we think of as "unhealthy" foods. Therefore by swapping these calorie dense foods (or foods that have more calories than you think) for lighter alternatives, you're reducing the amount of calories you're consuming as a whole.

I think many people find it easier to stick for a set of rules in hope for a quick fix. Most people want results yesterday and are happy to be miserable, eating food they don't like, and essentially starving themselves because they think that it's only going to be for the short term and once they're their goal weight they can eat all those foods that they've been depriving themselves of (which of course is how they gained all that weight in the first place, so obviously they're just going to gain all that weight back).

Another reason why people say eating "bad" foods can derail the process is because we have a habit of getting an emotional attachment to food, especially when we label them good and bad. We eat a "bad" food, and then they've ruined that day, so they might as well eat more "bad" food because it doesn't matter and we'll start again tomorrow. And then you binge and you feel terrible the next day, and because you feel terrible you eat "badly" and then you think "screw this week, it's ruined now. I'll start again on Monday" And then you binge for the rest of the week, feel terrible and feeling like a failure. And that doesn't really help anyone does it.

So the reason lots of people here advocate the: there are no bad food, enjoy what you want in moderation. Is because it removes this emotional attachment. So you ate an enormous slice of cake which was 500 calories that you hadn't planned for, so what? Yes you've gone over your target, but accepting it lets you limit any damage that might come from spiraling. And you've probably only pushed the date of reaching your goal weight back by, what, one day? Honestly, if it was a damn good cake I think that only one day is a pretty good trade off (which is why my weight loss has been slower than I initially planned)

Something else to consider is the fact that the diet industry relies on the fact that people lose and regain weight. Therefore, it is keen to promote quick fixes that rarely advocate changes for life. That's also the reason MFP veterans are keen to avoid using the term "diet". Because it implies that at some point you're going to stop eating this way, and what happens then? You go back to how you ate before? If I cannot foresee ever giving something up forever, then I won't be giving it up to lose weight (although I might limit it). So by pushing this ideal of fit, thin people who only eat salads and fruit, it gives an unreachable aspiration that people will only ever fail trying to achieve. When people fail they are more likely to try out the latest new trend that the industry is pushing. With some ignoring their normal levels of skepticism in their desperation and believe whatever woo they've heard in the hope that it'll be the magic bullet they've been looking for.

Consider the WW model. Within my living memory (I'm 27) they've changed the points system twice, both times running adverts under the general vain of "if you didn't lose weight with the previous system, you might be able to with this new system". The systems are essentially the same, so all those people who will go back thinking that it'll be different this time, will probably find themselves disappointed to learn that it's basically the same as last time. But by that point they've paid the membership fee and bought the WW branded foods and spent their money on something that again hasn't worked for them. At the end of the day essentially WW is (and has always been) calorie counting. But by covering it up by using their system, it means that you don't learn the actual calorific value of foods on their own. Which means that if you regain, you need to start using their system to lose weight, because it's been the only thing that has worked for you. Of course, I'm not bashing WW as a weigh loss method. If it has worked for you, then good for you! However, this is the sad truth about the industry and that it relies on failure.

Back on the subject of coffee. I'll drink a latte with a spoonful of brown sugar and I think it's made with semi-skimmed milk (as that's pretty much the default setting here in the UK). I mostly drink tea, so if I actually have a coffee I'm going to have one which I enjoy. Besides, I could do with the protein.

(and gosh this post got long ...)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

For one thing you can't really trust your doctor with weight loss methodology. Most of them are not trained for it. I want mine to monitor my progress and do regular check-ups while I lose but if I listened to him for what to eat I would fail because veganism is not sustainable for me. For variety I usually have one meatless day a week but that is as far as I go.

I think the main thing that amplifies food and diet myths is the lack of understanding about scale fluctuations. If you eat home prepared "diet" food instead of the same number of calories at a fast food restaurant you will likely get less sodium. So the fast food could easily cause a little water retention which will make the scale jump for a short time and the "diet" food could help it go down. Long term the results will be the same but that is a harder sell when people are just starting out and dying for scale results.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if it fits your calorie goals do what you like.

i dont do the coffee shop coffees, but do, every single day, input my coffee and (more importantly) creamer FIRST. without it.... i am not a nice person. that, for me, is a priority and I 'budget' for it. other than that, i refuse to drink my calories.
  • Ashlove5
    Deviette wrote: »

I think the idea is that there are many foods that are fairly calorie dense. These are generally what we think of as "unhealthy" foods. Therefore by swapping these calorie dense foods (or foods that have more calories than you think) for lighter alternatives, you're reducing the amount of calories you're consuming as a whole.

I think many people find it easier to stick for a set of rules in hope for a quick fix. Most people want results yesterday and are happy to be miserable, eating food they don't like, and essentially starving themselves because they think that it's only going to be for the short term and once they're their goal weight they can eat all those foods that they've been depriving themselves of (which of course is how they gained all that weight in the first place, so obviously they're just going to gain all that weight back).

Another reason why people say eating "bad" foods can derail the process is because we have a habit of getting an emotional attachment to food, especially when we label them good and bad. We eat a "bad" food, and then they've ruined that day, so they might as well eat more "bad" food because it doesn't matter and we'll start again tomorrow. And then you binge and you feel terrible the next day, and because you feel terrible you eat "badly" and then you think "screw this week, it's ruined now. I'll start again on Monday" And then you binge for the rest of the week, feel terrible and feeling like a failure. And that doesn't really help anyone does it.

So the reason lots of people here advocate the: there are no bad food, enjoy what you want in moderation. Is because it removes this emotional attachment. So you ate an enormous slice of cake which was 500 calories that you hadn't planned for, so what? Yes you've gone over your target, but accepting it lets you limit any damage that might come from spiraling. And you've probably only pushed the date of reaching your goal weight back by, what, one day? Honestly, if it was a damn good cake I think that only one day is a pretty good trade off (which is why my weight loss has been slower than I initially planned)

Something else to consider is the fact that the diet industry relies on the fact that people lose and regain weight. Therefore, it is keen to promote quick fixes that rarely advocate changes for life. That's also the reason MFP veterans are keen to avoid using the term "diet". Because it implies that at some point you're going to stop eating this way, and what happens then? You go back to how you ate before? If I cannot foresee ever giving something up forever, then I won't be giving it up to lose weight (although I might limit it). So by pushing this ideal of fit, thin people who only eat salads and fruit, it gives an unreachable aspiration that people will only ever fail trying to achieve. When people fail they are more likely to try out the latest new trend that the industry is pushing. With some ignoring their normal levels of skepticism in their desperation and believe whatever woo they've heard in the hope that it'll be the magic bullet they've been looking for.

Consider the WW model. Within my living memory (I'm 27) they've changed the points system twice, both times running adverts under the general vain of "if you didn't lose weight with the previous system, you might be able to with this new system". The systems are essentially the same, so all those people who will go back thinking that it'll be different this time, will probably find themselves disappointed to learn that it's basically the same as last time. But by that point they've paid the membership fee and bought the WW branded foods and spent their money on something that again hasn't worked for them. At the end of the day essentially WW is (and has always been) calorie counting. But by covering it up by using their system, it means that you don't learn the actual calorific value of foods on their own. Which means that if you regain, you need to start using their system to lose weight, because it's been the only thing that has worked for you. Of course, I'm not bashing WW as a weigh loss method. If it has worked for you, then good for you! However, this is the sad truth about the industry and that it relies on failure.

Back on the subject of coffee. I'll drink a latte with a spoonful of brown sugar and I think it's made with semi-skimmed milk (as that's pretty much the default setting here in the UK). I mostly drink tea, so if I actually have a coffee I'm going to have one which I enjoy. Besides, I could do with the protein.

(and gosh this post got long ...)
    Honestly thank you so much for explaining while losing weight a lot of people want the fastest results which may not last due to the excessive dieting this is why i like the positive attitude you guys have in my fitness pal !

• Ashlove5

For one thing you can't really trust your doctor with weight loss methodology. Most of them are not trained for it. I want mine to monitor my progress and do regular check-ups while I lose but if I listened to him for what to eat I would fail because veganism is not sustainable for me. For variety I usually have one meatless day a week but that is as far as I go.

I think the main thing that amplifies food and diet myths is the lack of understanding about scale fluctuations. If you eat home prepared "diet" food instead of the same number of calories at a fast food restaurant you will likely get less sodium. So the fast food could easily cause a little water retention which will make the scale jump for a short time and the "diet" food could help it go down. Long term the results will be the same but that is a harder sell when people are just starting out and dying for scale results.
    It always seemed crazy to me to cut out something almost completely off because almost everything edible has some sort of health benefit ect ect , thank you once again for clearing everything up !! ❤️

• Ashlove5

It always seemed crazy to me to cut out something almost completely off because almost everything edible has some sort of health benefit ect ect , thank you once again for clearing everything up !! ❤️
    Another question , what do you guys do when it comes to your daily extra excercise and activity calories ? Do you guys eat it back , ignore it or eat some of it back ?

• Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Grande triple shot skinny two pump mocha no whip baby. 120
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Another question , what do you guys do when it comes to your daily extra excercise and activity calories ? Do you guys eat it back , ignore it or eat some of it back ?

Most will tell you to eat about 1/2 your exercise calories back because the estimates from the machines and watches can vary wildly. I have found that the numbers in the MFP database for exercise are also usually too high, so I never eat more than 1/2 my exercise calories.

Start with 1/2 and if you are losing too fast, you can add in some more of the exercise calories. If you are gaining or simply staying in the same place for more than a month, then you can dial back on how many of the calories you eat back.

Also, don't be surprised if you start a new workout routine (or some new exercise) and you stall for awhile or even gain a little bit - it is most likely water weight and not fat. The body always holds a little extra water for recovery/repair purposes after exercise.

Yeah, I keep the other half to compensate for inaccuracies in logging (food or exercise) and there's potential. Example: I have timed my walking pace using mapmywalk.com by putting in my route and how long it took me, and it says I do about 3.5mph. But sometimes it takes me a few minutes longer. It could be traffic lights (I march in place at them). At this time of year, the sidewalks aren't always clear and whether the unevenness of the terrain balances out the slightly slower pace I take to make sure I don't step in a slush puddle or on an icy patch—depending on the temperature, or whether walking back home with 8-10lbs of groceries is slower than the trip out but the added weight balances it? I don' really do those calculations.

My local bakery and deli takeout counter aren't in the MFP database. I buy fairly generic items, but the calories in the recipe that Krogers/Aldi's etc uses in their challah or pickled beets may or may not be identical. I know it's probably close, but close enough?

(Note: if it's TOM and my satiety levels take a dive, I may eat up to 75% back; occasionally more.)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    For me, I don't taste the difference between sugar and sucralose in tea or coffee, so I never spend the calories on sugar. I do normally add 2% milk though. The fat will help it be a bit more filling if eating nothing else for breakfast; and if I'm only having some oats for breakfast, the small amount of fat & protein in the milk (added to oats and tea) is welcome (as fat would otherwise be missing from that meal).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

Certain activities are much harder to characterize calorie burn for. People often over-estimate [1] their effort/intensity level (vigorous/moderate/etc) and [2] how much time they are actually doing the activity as stated (such as counting rest periods or lower intensity recovery periods) - leading to vastly over-estimated calorie burn estimates. This is the main reason people log only a fraction of the calories. Calorie burn estimates for walking and running, based on the number of miles, on the other hand, are generally pretty accurate.