Weighing Food Takes Too Long And is OBSESSIVE!

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I was about to come on here and "sakjhdfkasjdhflkjhd" at you, but good on ya.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The thing is, we're on a calorie counting website, so I have to wonder why it seems so crazy to want to actually be accurate about it. If anything, you're more likely to overeat if you log your food and constantly underestimate everything (as opposed to following a low carb diet or something, where treats are pretty much forbidden and you stick to 'a lot of veggies and lean meats' pretty much)... 'oh look, I ate so little today, I can fit a 200 calorie cinnamon roll'. Except you didn't eat so little, you were already 300 calories over your goal, and your 200 calorie roll is actually 300 calories, so you end up with a tiny deficit and basically eating at maintenance (especially if you ate back all your exercise calories too, and used MFP's number).

Again, obviously it's not a huge deal if you don't eat back exercise calories or if you leave a buffer every day. But a lot of people don't, and think they are a special snowflake that can't lose weight on 1200 calories, that's when using a food scale can really help.

I find that I tend to overeat more frequently when I weigh my food than when I don't. When I don't weigh my food I tend to give myself a bigger margin of error in order to make sure that I'm not overeating.

That can definitely be true too. But you have to know a bit about serving sizes in the first place in order to be able to overestimate them, lol.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    MaybeLed wrote: »
    I cook and bake a lot, always trying new recipes. Because I'm a Brit, that means weighing things.

So when I decided to lose weight and people said 'use a scale' it wasn't a chore. I don't weigh everything, only calorie dense things but when something is 25% more than it says that adds up.

I do appreciate how if you've not been brought up with that it's a new skill to learn and quickly could become irritating

In other news, when I was baking an American cookie recipe that was a massive chore, working out 1 cup = 250ml by volume and weighing out sugar after I’d guestimated by volume in my old Pyrex jug.
    And that was after frantically googling confectioners’ sugar……

For some of us Americans baking and cooking means weighing too. If a recipe doesn't give grams I just convert it. I keep my staples in containers. On the outside I have listed the measurements in grams...40g(1/4 cup)...etc.

I wasn't saying all, just that if it's something you don't do often it might be a pain. Depending on what you're trying to measure the conversion can be more, or less, difficult.

My mum took pity on me and bought me a set of cups and spoons, very useful for cocktails!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    MaybeLed wrote: »
    I cook and bake a lot, always trying new recipes. Because I'm a Brit, that means weighing things.

So when I decided to lose weight and people said 'use a scale' it wasn't a chore. I don't weigh everything, only calorie dense things but when something is 25% more than it says that adds up.

I do appreciate how if you've not been brought up with that it's a new skill to learn and quickly could become irritating

In other news, when I was baking an American cookie recipe that was a massive chore, working out 1 cup = 250ml by volume and weighing out sugar after I’d guestimated by volume in my old Pyrex jug.
    And that was after frantically googling confectioners’ sugar……

For some of us Americans baking and cooking means weighing too. If a recipe doesn't give grams I just convert it. I keep my staples in containers. On the outside I have listed the measurements in grams...40g(1/4 cup)...etc.

It really doesn't always work though. I made a no knead bread recipe using the normal conversion of 1 cup flour = 120g, and I had to throw it away because it was a mess. Turns out you had to use 135-140g for 1 cup. No idea where they got that 'conversion' from, considering that a serving of flour is typically 1/4 cup (30g).

Sigh.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, the only scale in our house since we moved is the food scale.

Went to the doc's yesterday for the first time since moving at the end of August, 2016 and am down 10#. I'm sure some of it is fluctuation scale to scale, but a lot of it is more accurate intake count because of the food scale.

Now if I could just figure out that !@#*&^*#$^-ing iPhone calorie adjustment. :P
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The thing is, we're on a calorie counting website, so I have to wonder why it seems so crazy to want to actually be accurate about it.

As a single woman, a lot of my meals aren't cooked from scratch but rather are restaurant meals, meals cooked by family or friends, or meals that I cooked but I used a package of some sort (and in the U.S. nutritional information can be off by as much as 20%). So that box of spaghetti I used to make dinner could have 20% more calories than I think anyways.

I realized when I did attempt to use a food scale for a while for "accuracy" that the only way I was going to get extremely accurate was if I cooked all my meals from scratch and stopped eating packaged foods (that are most likely off), stopped eating out in restaurants, stopped eating foods other people prepared...

It was too much and weighing only some foods (read: dinner when I prepared it at home myself) seemed ridiculously unnecessary when I'm not weighing lunch because it's either take out usually, a prepackaged meal, or something like a sandwich (which at one point I was weighing lunch meat until I realized how ridiculous that was when I was going to eat the whole pack eventually anyways). I don't weigh breakfast because it's usually eggs or yogurt or apples or some combination. So weighing only dinner when I cook it myself seemed unnecessary for me.

But I do realize some people need to weigh things and I always suggest when people are struggling to lose weight to double check their logs.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Think weighing is pointless or too much trouble? Think again.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Good bump - three weeks into the new year and there are bound to be people who are starting to feel discouraged. The OP is full of helpful advice to make it easier to get our logging a bit more accurate. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have a backup scale now.
  • SueSueDio
    Options

I might get one at some point! I always make sure I have spare batteries on hand now, after TWO episodes of the scale dying on me. You'd think I'd have learned after the first round of devastation but noooo... I put myself through the same anguish again about a year later!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    weighing food is interesting for a period of time.. educational ... but I have no desire to weigh my corn cob or shrimp shells. lol.. I do think weighing food forever is obsessive.

Can't say I have a lot of desire to, but my body seems to be fond of it (though personally I wouldn't weigh corn cobs or shrimp shells). ;)
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love my scale, it's the math I dislike. Lol
    I wish there was an app where you type 214 grams of green apple and it spits out the number of calories.
    I guess I could just toss the 14 gms. :)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    I love my scale, it's the math I dislike. Lol
    I wish there was an app where you type 214 grams of green apple and it spits out the number of calories.
    I guess I could just toss the 14 gms. :)

The quick fits-all solution is to find a generic green apple entry that gives calories per 100g and looks reliable. (I just checked the database and there are some dodgy apples around.) Then click on the drop-down menu to change the serving size to 1g, and then type in 214 for your number of servings. Hey presto, done!

It works for any amount, no matter how odd the fraction you eat.

If you were making a joke and it just whooshed over my head, ignore this post.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I weighed my food for about 3 months. I have a general understanding of my portions and for ME and with my mental health issues, it was becoming obsessive. I enjoy eyeballing more and have gotten majority of my results this way.

I also don’t want to spend the rest of my life tracking so I took a step back from the food scale and just chilled.
    Will I ever go back to it? Probably. But as for right now, I’m good.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I find weighing is faster and uses up fewer dishes! love it.

I have a back-up scale AND i bought one for work ;) (they are are super cheap ones and purchased over a few years).