Lara bars protein bars quest bars Lenny and Larry?

Options
I feel like these are marketed as health food but at 200 calories plus they really put a dent in the caloric in take. Do you guys eat any of these regularly are they more of a treat? What’s your go to quick easy snack I use to grab bars but now I look at the calories and put me right back down

Replies

• cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I eat a quest bar 3 times a week for breakfast
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    cnjg6677 wrote: »
    I eat a quest bar 3 times a week for breakfast

Yea I think they are more suitable for a quick meal then a snack
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    And “healthy” is a relative term, open to different interpretations.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I eat them daily. Not because I think they are healthy, but because I like them. I used to eat 4 quest bars a day before they changed the formula. Now I eat one every once in awhile. I go through lenny and larry periods where I eat 1-3 of the 2oz cookies a day as well, lol. If they fit in your calories, there is nothing wrong with eating them daily, just as there is nothing wrong with eating oreos daily if they fit in your calories.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're marketed as health food so much as they are protein bars or snack bars... but at the same time being higher in calories doesn't make something unhealthy. I'd hardly consider something that's 200 calories to be a meal and any protein bar with 200 or less is pretty low calorie. If you want quick low calorie snacks then fruit, popcorn and low fat yogurt would be even lower. Special K bars are lower at 130 calories but still have 12g of protein if I remember correctly.

The only Special K bars with 12g of protein that I know of are 170-180 calories.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    I don't think they're marketed as health food so much as they are protein bars or snack bars... but at the same time being higher in calories doesn't make something unhealthy. I'd hardly consider something that's 200 calories to be a meal and any protein bar with 200 or less is pretty low calorie. If you want quick low calorie snacks then fruit, popcorn and low fat yogurt would be even lower. Special K bars are lower at 130 calories but still have 12g of protein if I remember correctly.

The only Special K bars with 12g of protein that I know of are 170-180 calories.

Oh okay, thanks for the correction. It's been a long time since I've had one of those.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight on 2000 calories per day. I have a protein bar for afternoon snack pretty much every day. Usually Combat Crunch at ~230 calories for 20 grams of protein.

Lenny and Larry's are harder to fit in at ~400 calories for 16 grams of protein. I only have those very occasionally.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Beats a candy bar if you still need to get some protein in. And can stash in a bag/car for infinity for when you need a meal on the go. I usually only have a small dinner pre-cardio at work, and then have a protein/food bar (or half a bar dipped in peanut butter) in the car after running/cycling before heading to dancing venue. Or for breakfast while walking to the car heading out to the gym.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Beats a candy bar if you still need to get some protein in. And can stash in a bag/car for infinity for when you need a meal on the go. I usually only have a small dinner pre-cardio at work, and then have a protein/food bar (or half a bar dipped in peanut butter) in the car after running/cycling before heading to dancing venue. Or for breakfast while walking to the car heading out to the gym.

Good point. I always have one protein bar stashed in my purse, one in my gym bag, and a couple in my office desk drawer, just in case.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    "healthy" and calorie count don't always go hand-in-hand. Something can be high calorie and healthy, and low calorie can be relatively unhealthy (though, those terms are all subjective, so there is a lot of variance in what someone might consider high vs low calorie, healthy vs unhealthy).

That said, I eat both quest bars and clif builder bars several times per week. I'm on about 1900 cals per day, so I have a bit more room than some, though not as much room as others. It's hard to beat the convenience of them, and if you pair it with a yogurt or something, it makes for a reasonable "meal". Not so great for people who prefer high volume foods/eating, though.
  • silvianog
    silvianog Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Any of the quest bars I do. also costco has a very good one as well kirkland signature is the brand.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I eat protein bars daily as a snack and a way to get my protein in, but not the ones you mentioned. Lara Bars are good but not enough protein for the calories. If I'm going to eat 200 calories as a snack then the protein needs to be high enough to balance it out.

Right now my go-to protein bar is the Costco brand. My daughter really likes the GNC brand
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yea that makes since I struggle grocery shopping so much now that i'm counting because everything i normally go for i tell myself its not worth it especially when you can see the calories but then realized i'm not really grabbing anything but protein and veggies
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" doesn't mean low calorie. I eat a Clif bar just about every weekday as part of my lunch because I enjoy the taste and they fit easily into my goals. I will have a Larabar sometimes as a treat, but they're a bit too low in protein to be a regular choice for me.

If you feel like they're not worth the calories, then I think that is sufficient reason to avoid them.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I eat protein bars daily as a snack and a way to get my protein in, but not the ones you mentioned. Lara Bars are good but not enough protein for the calories. If I'm going to eat 200 calories as a snack then the protein needs to be high enough to balance it out.

Right now my go-to protein bar is the Costco brand. My daughter really likes the GNC brand

Exactly. Quest has spoiled me on the protein per calories ratio so I have more of a problem considering the lara bars or the lenny and larry cookies that good a source of protein. Well, the cookie wasn't bad and I coincidentally ate one yesterday when I don't normally but consider the 8 g protein a bonus.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto on the Larabars - I know I've checked the nutritional info at least a few times and put them back on the shelf. I usually have Clif, Balance, Nature Valley chewy protein, or Pure Protein bars (or the Aldi knockoffs of the first 3)(<$1.20/bar with decent enough macros).
  • Josh_Friedman
    Josh_Friedman Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a Larry and Lenny's cookie for breakfast and a larabar as a dessert. The larabars have no processed sugars.
  • VirginiasMom
    VirginiasMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat a quest bar every day after work - I find it's a nice treat, helps get my protein up and keeps me full for a reasonable period of time. Good happiness to calorie ratio IMO...