Lara bars protein bars quest bars Lenny and Larry?

2»

Replies

• dwayneb2020
    dwayneb2020 Posts: 18 Member
    The Quest bar seems to be a love or hate thing. I've had 2 and reaction for me is... oof. Strange aftertaste and consistency. I guess there was some lawsuit about misrepresenting calories or fiber content, not sure about the outcome. Personally I like Kind bars for a 200 calorie treat. Kinda pricey though at $1.50 a piece.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    The Quest bar seems to be a love or hate thing. I've had 2 and reaction for me is... oof. Strange aftertaste and consistency. I guess there was some lawsuit about misrepresenting calories or fiber content, not sure about the outcome. Personally I like Kind bars for a 200 calorie treat. Kinda pricey though at $1.50 a piece.

Nothing came of it. Quest uses IMOs (certain type of fiber) which are partially digestible and therefore counted as 1.5 calories per gram rather than the full 4. A lab tested IMOs and found the full 4 to be digested, but performed the experiment using conditions that didn't accurately mimic the way that humans digest food, so the results were skewed. The calorie count is accurate, just in case you were wondering. :)

They're way better heated up but all the fruity ones taste chemically to me.
  • ncgirl8
    ncgirl8 Posts: 82 Member
    Pure protein bars! :) I did see Sinfit has a snack size (100 cal) version out, and I think Metrx may, as well. I like Protein One (Fiber One) bars, but I've found they are a bit much on my stomach.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2019

Nothing came of it. Quest uses IMOs (certain type of fiber) which are partially digestible and therefore counted as 1.5 calories per gram rather than the full 4. A lab tested IMOs and found the full 4 to be digested, but performed the experiment using conditions that didn't accurately mimic the way that humans digest food, so the results were skewed. The calorie count is accurate, just in case you were wondering. :)

They're way better heated up but all the fruity ones taste chemically to me.

Sadly quest doesn't use IMOs anymore. :( I wish they did because they were amazing back then.

They used to be really good back when they used iso-IMOs. The original recipe was awesome and is what made them so popular. Once they changed, they have never been the same. I used to eat 4-5 a day but now just eat one a month maybe.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I keep mini Kind bars in my desk for emergencies. I can take the 100 calorie hit more easily than a 200 calorie hit
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I hate Kind bars. They taste like soap to me - not sure which ingredient it is.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I come and go with snacks like that. I do use Larabars quite a bit for my long runs as fuel. I do like a good protein smoothie, so I use protein powder and mix with greek yogurt and a banana. There's a few Quest bars I really like. I notice when I buy them, hubby treats them more like snacks (like a granola) rather than fuel, so I'll stash them in my running pack. When it comes to protein, I try to hit my protein goal with food before I'll consider a protein bar.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited February 2019
    Clif bars, which include Luna bars and Builder's bars, aren't marketed as diet or health foods. They're intended for people who are doing physical activities such as hiking, kayaking, or outdoor work. That's why the form factor is: fairly high calories, no low-calorie fillers, easily digestible ingredients, a good balance of macros including carbs, can be eaten on the go or with dirty hands, stays good for a long time in a variety of weather conditions, and has a wrapper that prevents the aroma of the food from attracting wildlife. I wish there was a bar out there like Clif bars but with no refined sugar though, maybe substituting date paste. The closest thing is Larabars but a lot of people have trouble digesting whole raw nuts. I used to like the ONE/Quest type of protein bars but lately I have been finding them gross and fake tasting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

Ya, I had a Quest S'Mores bar a few years back and experienced a nasty aftertaste. I blame the sucralose. I do experience it as sweet, but nasty.

https://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2013/08/22/study-fake-sweeteners-taste-disgusting-people/
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    I have the occasional protein bar, but usually more of an after workout protein kick (which is my afternoon snack) or sometimes as dessert if I'm still hungry and have the calories. I just hate the ingredients of most of them. I don't "Eat clean" ( hate that phrase) but maltitol and sorbitol bother my stomach, and it's in a LOT of them.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    I use Rx and LaraBars as a treat or a way to stave off hunger if I'm out somewhere or at a meeting and don't have good meal options. I keep a stash of LaraBar minis in my desk drawer. Only 90 cals and perfect in a pinch!