ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ashsabiha wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Where you spend your calories and how much you spend is completely up to you. No one can tell you if it is a good option or not because they are not you. It is a matter of personal preference and calorie budgeting.
    So i can even have unhealthy foods as long it fits my calorie budget ?

Most definitely. Be careful with the term "unhealthy" though because most foods have nutrients that we need to eat.

Calories do not differ from one food to the next.

The trick is sustainability. If you eat high caloric food that doesn't fill you up enough you may struggle. What you need is to figure out your personal balance between foods you find filling and treat foods.

Thank youu so much for explaining !!! I am pretty new to this and a lot of people say different stuff but your explanation seems legit and logical

It is very common to think that there is "diet" food. I thought that myself for a long time and it caused many weight loss attempts to fail for me.

There are many helpful threads pinned to the top of this forum. They can help dispel other diet myths as well as help you understand how to log your food correctly and scale weight fluctuations that can cause many people problems as they once did me.
    Most of the confusion comes from people who tell you to avoid a lot of foods while losing weight mostly carbs are told to be avoided , to only eat veggies , and fruits and salads that’s what society always showed you should be eating if you are trying to be fit. Mean while in my fitness pal people are pretty supportive of eating what ever as long as it fits your calorie deficit which confuses me because a lot of people all over youtube and online are making it seem like having foods that are unhealthier within your calorie deficit can sabotage your weight loss. I once had a doctor who even told me to avoid orange juice or bread or rice i don’t get why we are told to do that ?

My guess:

OJ: People usually don't realize just how many calories they are consuming from beverages when they don't log/pay attention, and calories that you drink usually aren't filling - so they wind up being on top of what you eat rather than replacing them. Cutting out all the sugar in juice is just a fairly simple way to cut down on what might add up to a surprising number of calories.

Rice: Fairly calorie dense with a small-ish serving size... People (Americans, at least) are really, really, really bad at portioning this out. (hint: if you are using something larger than a custard cup to hold the rice, there's a good chance you're looking at a pretty ridiculous number of calories). Rice is 1 thing I tend not to eat often - a single serving is pretty sad and depressing IMHO.

Bread: Often in addition to the main items of the meal. sometimes mindlessly (over)eaten as an appetizer. or to hold other main ingredients - a purpose not necessarily worth the calories (or where people are adding a lot of calories without really realizing just how many).

Pretty much, those are fairly simple ways to cut out a lot of calories, particularly for people who don't weigh and log food. Most people don't do that and the amount of calories from these sources would probably surprise them immensely if they did.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    jordan skinny syrups 0 calories, 0 sugar
    https://www.skinnymixes.com/collections/skinny-syrups?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYeW_qeE4AIVVIezCh3AIQ1uEAAYASAAEgIluPD_BwE

I usally find them at Marshalls/TJ Maxx/burlington for $3.99
    my favs
    salted caramel
    pumpkin cheesecake
    caramel pecan
    glazed donut
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I swore when I started out that, although I gave up sugar almost immediately, I would never give up cream in my coffee. At the time, coffee was more a vehicle for me to drink cream than it was about the actual coffee. However, within six months or so, it became apparent to me that I'd rather eat 100cal than drink 100cal when my calorie budget is so limited. A nice lady I work with treated me to some of her good coffee often enough that I quit getting it from McD's, Tim Horton's, Charbuck's or any other of those awful places that churn out awful coffee and started buying from a local roastery instead. That, along with some other dietary discoveries, mainly going to LCHF because it's fat in general I crave more than cream in my coffee specifically, set me on the path to true coffee appreciation. I now consider anything but black absolute heresy.

It may be worthwhile to find yourself a nice local roastery and try out some coffee made with love and care. You might be surprised how delicious black coffee can really be if it's not burned to crisp during the roasting or sitting around for months afterwards to go stale before it hits your cup. I had no idea how unique each cup of coffee could be depending on where it was grown, how it is processed, what flavour notes are cultivated etc. The difference between good coffee and bad is easily as complex as the difference between good wine and boxed plonk. Adding things to your boxed plonk doesn't turn it into a good wine; adding cream, sugar and flavours to your bad coffee doesn't turn it into good coffee either. Just a thought from a coffee snob :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Most of the confusion comes from people who tell you to avoid a lot of foods while losing weight mostly carbs are told to be avoided , to only eat veggies , and fruits and salads that’s what society always showed you should be eating if you are trying to be fit. Mean while in my fitness pal people are pretty supportive of eating what ever as long as it fits your calorie deficit which confuses me because a lot of people all over youtube and online are making it seem like having foods that are unhealthier within your calorie deficit can sabotage your weight loss. I once had a doctor who even told me to avoid orange juice or bread or rice i don’t get why we are told to do that ?

For one thing you can't really trust your doctor with weight loss methodology. Most of them are not trained for it. I want mine to monitor my progress and do regular check-ups while I lose but if I listened to him for what to eat I would fail because veganism is not sustainable for me. For variety I usually have one meatless day a week but that is as far as I go.

I think the main thing that amplifies food and diet myths is the lack of understanding about scale fluctuations. If you eat home prepared "diet" food instead of the same number of calories at a fast food restaurant you will likely get less sodium. So the fast food could easily cause a little water retention which will make the scale jump for a short time and the "diet" food could help it go down. Long term the results will be the same but that is a harder sell when people are just starting out and dying for scale results.
    It always seemed crazy to me to cut out something almost completely off because almost everything edible has some sort of health benefit ect ect , thank you once again for clearing everything up !! ❤️
    Another question , what do you guys do when it comes to your daily extra excercise and activity calories ? Do you guys eat it back , ignore it or eat some of it back ?

i eat back almost all of them (my fitbit seems pretty accurate but that seems to be on a person by person basis as for many its not)
  • justinejacksonm
    justinejacksonm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My apologies in advance I don't mean to be disrespectful I maybe it's just because I've been at it for a long time but I read so many posts on here regarding food options so many people are totally lost at sea it seems! It really brings to light why losing is weight such an issue in our society.

I've literally had one of those "doh" moments and slapped my forehead so many times. people post about latte and ice cream and pizza and basically how can I get away with not changing my eating habits and still eat really bad unhealthy food and still hope to lose weight.

Actually more than anything it's just surprising how much misinformation and lack of knowledge there is about nutrition out there!

Black coffee is totally fine if anything caffeine in moderation is good for you. There's nothing wrong with a little touch of half-and-half and people debate zero calorie sweeteners and if they're good for you or bad for you which ones are good versus not but if you just want to reduce calories just use a 0 cal sweetener like Splenda in it.

if you want to get a coffee at Dunkin donuts or McDonalds just get regular coffee with half-and-half and Splenda. some places have zero calorie sugar syrups probably not the best thing but if you're really jonesing for a flavored latte go with that.

It's a pain in the butt in summer but I've gone to places and ask for black coffee with Splenda and cream blended and ice so I have a Frozen coffee cuz if you just order a frozen iced coffee it's going to rock you about 500 calories with syrups and stuff.

just do your research. Look at the menus for places you go to. Losing weight is about calories in versus calories out pretty much anything that's really yummy is on the banlist but that doesn't mean you can't find alternatives or workarounds.

I have coffee every day I just enter my two cups plus my travel mug that I take to work in MyFitnessPal as one lump sum item morning coffee and Contigo.

I don't like it but you can always switch to soy or almond milk.
  • Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My apologies in advance I don't mean to be disrespectful I maybe it's just because I've been at it for a long time but I read so many posts on here regarding food options so many people are totally lost at sea it seems! It really brings to light why losing is weight such an issue in our society.

I've literally had one of those "doh" moments and slapped my forehead so many times. people post about latte and ice cream and pizza and basically how can I get away with not changing my eating habits and still eat really bad unhealthy food and still hope to lose weight.

Actually more than anything it's just surprising how much misinformation and lack of knowledge there is about nutrition out there!

Black coffee is totally fine if anything caffeine in moderation is good for you. There's nothing wrong with a little touch of half-and-half and people debate zero calorie sweeteners and if they're good for you or bad for you which ones are good versus not but if you just want to reduce calories just use a 0 cal sweetener like Splenda in it.

if you want to get a coffee at Dunkin donuts or McDonalds just get regular coffee with half-and-half and Splenda. some places have zero calorie sugar syrups probably not the best thing but if you're really jonesing for a flavored latte go with that.

It's a pain in the butt in summer but I've gone to places and ask for black coffee with Splenda and cream blended and ice so I have a Frozen coffee cuz if you just order a frozen iced coffee it's going to rock you about 500 calories with syrups and stuff.

just do your research. Look at the menus for places you go to. Losing weight is about calories in versus calories out pretty much anything that's really yummy is on the banlist but that doesn't mean you can't find alternatives or workarounds.

I have coffee every day I just enter my two cups plus my travel mug that I take to work in MyFitnessPal as one lump sum item morning coffee and Contigo.

So you would say over all ban the yummy unhealthy foods even if they fit your calorie deficit ? I mean for me i like to do a 80 / 20 like 80 percent of my daily food is healthy , and that other 20 percent somedays i use to eat like maybe a lil bag of chips or a lil brownie you know but some people make it seem like even with a donut you could pack weight if you are still eating within your calorie deficit.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

So you would say over all ban the yummy unhealthy foods even if they fit your calorie deficit ? I mean for me i like to do a 80 / 20 like 80 percent of my daily food is healthy , and that other 20 percent somedays i use to eat like maybe a lil bag of chips or a lil brownie you know but some people make it seem like even with a donut you could pack weight if you are still eating within your calorie deficit.

Individual foods don't make you gain weight or lose weight outside of their calorie hit. Food choices might make it easier or harder to stick to your calorie goal. Personally, banning all treat foods from my diet sounds like a great way to burn out and end up gaining back everything. Allowing myself treats along the way, without guilt, was the only way that would work for me. Even health-wise, it's the overall composition of your diet, not one food here and one food there, that will affect your health. Eating a serving of ice cream after dinner doesn't somehow cancel out all the nutrients you ate throughout the day.

And not for nothing, but an occasional treat makes me happy, and emotional and mental health are important too :drinker:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    people post about latte and ice cream and pizza and basically how can I get away with not changing my eating habits and still eat really bad unhealthy food and still hope to lose weight.

Losing weight is about calories in versus calories out pretty much anything that's really yummy is on the banlist but that doesn't mean you can't find alternatives or workarounds.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having lattes or ice cream or pizza, it's all about eating them in the context of a diet that is giving you the right amount of calories for your desired weight.

Losing weight *is* about calories in versus calories out, that's specifically why things that are really delicious don't have to be on the "banlist." Enjoying something doesn't change the calorie count, so there's no reason to feel obligated to avoid the foods you enjoy while losing weight

If you want a latte, have a latte. Just account for the calories.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

You might have a ban list but that doesn't mean what is right for you is right for others. If all calories are the same then it is a personal decision how they should be spent. I have been losing now for 11 months and I have lost quite a bit of weight eating food that is probably on your no-no list. The ONLY consequence is the occasional and temporary water weight gain which can also happen eating what you probably consider "healthy" food. Otherwise my weight loss always shows up on the scale eventually and it matches my RoL goals.

Losing weight improves health or at least lowers health risks so there is NO good reason to make it more difficult than it absolutely needs to be. Besides, once you meet your nutritional needs you don't get extra credit for eating more nutrient rich food.

There are a number of things on my "doesn't seem worth it anymore" list but if I craved any of them I would at least try to eat it again.

There are some common sense things like it would be unwise to burn all of your calories for a day on a giant milkshake but it is still very possible to make some milkshake fit in a day or a week. I almost always bank my calories to afford the more expensive treats or meals.

• Ashlove5
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Individual foods don't make you gain weight or lose weight outside of their calorie hit. Food choices might make it easier or harder to stick to your calorie goal. Personally, banning all treat foods from my diet sounds like a great way to burn out and end up gaining back everything. Allowing myself treats along the way, without guilt, was the only way that would work for me. Even health-wise, it's the overall composition of your diet, not one food here and one food there, that will affect your health. Eating a serving of ice cream after dinner doesn't somehow cancel out all the nutrients you ate throughout the day.

And not for nothing, but an occasional treat makes me happy, and emotional and mental health are important too :drinker:
    Like yesterday i ate lesser portions and healthy for both my breakfast and dinner but during lunch time i was outside at a resturant and instead of a salad i ordered a burger which fit right into my calorie deficit is that one burger gonna do any harm if i watched calories and portion so sort it out ? On days i know i will eat out and splurge a little i make sure to control my other meals more so i have those calorie space for my food.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Like yesterday i ate lesser portions and healthy for both my breakfast and dinner but during lunch time i was outside at a resturant and instead of a salad i ordered a burger which fit right into my calorie deficit is that one burger gonna do any harm if i watched calories and portion so sort it out ? On days i know i will eat out and splurge a little i make sure to control my other meals more so i have those calorie space for my food.

What kind of harm do you think it would do you?

If it fits into your calorie goal, it isn't going to harm your weight loss efforts. That's the wonderful thing about counting calories. You can estimate how many calories are in the burger and how many are in the salad and then make your choice.
  • Ashlove5
    Options

What kind of harm do you think it would do you?

If it fits into your calorie goal, it isn't going to harm your weight loss efforts. That's the wonderful thing about counting calories. You can estimate how many calories are in the burger and how many are in the salad and then make your choice.
    Thank youu for clearing that up ❤️❤️

• NovusDies
    Options

Very smart. You can also bank calories for even bigger "splurges".
  • Ashlove5
    Options

By banking calories do you do it for the week or the day ? Because i know some people do the zigzag calories for the week where they eat less one day and make up for it the next day ect ect
  • NovusDies
    Options

By banking calories do you do it for the week or the day ? Because i know some people do the zigzag calories for the week where they eat less one day and make up for it the next day ect ect

I find that I care less about what I eat Mon-Thurs so on those days I take advantage and bank my excess calories. I cash out on Sunday typically with whatever I have planned. Mentally I find it easier when I have something to look forward to as well. I have seen some people say this makes things harder for them while others do the same or similar to me.

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

What is bad and unhealthy about a latte? A cup of 1% milk and coffee is 100 calories and my calcium for the day plus some protein. Same with a 1/2 cup portion of ice cream - again, calcium & protein maybe 200 cals. Still managed to lose 90+ lbs enjoying them - not to mention “gasp” pizza.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    What is bad and unhealthy about a latte? A cup of 1% milk and coffee is 100 calories and my calcium for the day plus some protein. Same with a 1/2 cup portion of ice cream - again, calcium & protein maybe 200 cals. Still managed to lose 90+ lbs enjoying them - not to mention “gasp” pizza.

It seems that "unhealthy" or "bad" often includes any item that can be replaced by a lower calorie option regardless of nutrient value. In some cases there seems to be a moral judgment too. If you enjoy something too much like ice cream or pizza it must be bad for you. I think the latter comes from people who feel the need to punish themselves for gaining weight.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I don't think the previous poster meant to imply they were unhealthy - just that they can be calorie bombs as prepared at a coffee shop and not worth the calories to them.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

I don't think the previous poster meant to imply they were unhealthy - just that they can be calorie bombs as prepared at a coffee shop and not worth the calories to them.

Anything can be a calorie bomb, but the thing about coffee shops today is that they usually have options to choose milks and syrups that are lower calorie. So to call out a latte as problematic doesn't really make sense. Yes, you can get a latte that is high calorie. You can also easily get one that has a reasonable number of calories. It's like criticizing the categories of "salads" or "soups" just because high calorie versions exist.