Cheap sneaks recommendation

Options
Hi,
I work on my feet all day at an Amazon fulfillment center. When I get home from work I jump right into my workouts.
On days like today when I'm off and often one morning on the weekend I go for a nice, usually 4-5 mile walk.

I have one pair of sneakers I wear for everything. I hate spending money on sneakers, it's like spending your extra money to go get an oil change kind of thing so I do it maybe once every 6 months. I also shop at Burlington coat factory for my sneakers and spend about $20-$30.

My last two pairs have been Fila. so I get a 10% discount on Skechers through work I'd rather not.

when I bought this pair I was having balance issues exercising because the souls were worn out in addition to knee pain and foot pain but when I got the keys the balance issue I think was worse and the knee problem that's a problem is only slightly improved.

Everyone says my sneakers are bad and that's why my knees are hurting and I can feel that my feet just don't have a lot of support when I'm exercising.

Can anyone recommend just a regular pair of sneakers that would be good?

Replies

• kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you're on your feet that much good shoes are a necessity! And ideally need replaced about every six months. I had a lot of foot issues and the podiatrist recommended Asics or Brooks. But I second what everyone else said go to a good shoe store and get fitted. It's an investment in your health!
  • justinejacksonm
    justinejacksonm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so far for you're really helpful replies specific brands in stores are particularly helpful cuz I don't know where to look other than the sneaker store at the mall for fancy-schmancy designer basketball shoes.

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I have pronation problems and wear Asics plus insoles for stability.

• justinejacksonm
    justinejacksonm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I have pronation problems and wear Asics plus insoles for stability.

Im not familiar with that brand but am looking it up now. I'd probably have to buy online (I assume) cause I don't know where I'd find them in a store near me.

I usually don't buy shoes online though because you can't tell how they're going to fit.

Would love to have my feet measured or assessed or whatever to find the perfect shoes better yet have custom made lol

Balance has definitely been my issue recently as well as knee pain. I think it's funny though I keep going back to the weak hip and gluteal muscle issue but I do a lot of lower body workouts that work my butt... Any suggestions on strengthening exercises to improve this?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you are walking, make sure you get fitted for walking footwear, not running footwear. There is a difference.

Sorry, have no brands to recommend, get fitted for the style and brand that works for you. Once fitted you can shop online for bargains.

Cheers, h.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    Can you find a running store near you? Perhaps there’s a Fleet Feet nearby? They will measure your feet, look at how you move, compare that to the bazillion shoe options out there and help you find shoes that fit properly and give you the kind of support you need for whatever activity you’re doing (be it walking for exercise or tromping around an Amazon warehouse all day).

That’s your best bet. My feet are not the same as your feet and I move differently than you move so the shoes that work best for me might not be any good at all for you.

Good luck.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I thought this said snacks... I need better glasses...

Yes I agree with above. Getting fitted for shoes makes a huge difference.

Me too. It's been a long day.

I don't run, I lift weights. I wear minimalist shoes. I make them myself (for me and my kids).
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'll try to draw on my previous shoe sales expirience, lol. (It's been a while though, Lol)

For an all-day shoe that will transition into a walking shoe here are some things you might look for:
    -Walking shoes, cross trainers or "casual" shoes tend to be the best for being on your feet type of jobs, or for walking. The reason is that they are typically more stable than runners. Also, they are designed for a different type of impact that runners are designed for. They are typically better suited for being on your feet all day, and standing.
    -Get your foot measured. Most of your shoe shops will have someone on hand that can help you with this. I used to run into people all the time complaining about knee, foot, or back pain and find out they were wearing a size too small, or too narrow. (I had a lady once who thought she was a 7wide, and turned out to be a 9med! I have no idea how she got her feet into those shoes she was wearing. Ouch!) A proper fitting shoe makes a world of difference in how it supports your foot.
    -Make sure you have about a thumb's width between the tip of your toe, and the end of your shoe. I know for running shoes this helps five your foot room to expand on impact. I cant remember the reason why for other shoes, but I imagine it has to do with how your feet expand through the day.

-The biggest thing to look for is for it to feel good at the shoe store. There is no such thing as a "break in" period for a good shoe. When you put it on, there should be no pinching or rubbing, your heels shouldn't slide up and down, and when standing your feet should not spill over the sides. (If they do the shoe is too narrow). You shouldn't be able to "feel" the arches under your feet either. Your foot should just feel nice, comfy, and supported. Be sure to lace up both shoes, and walk around the store a bit too. You may find some discomfort you wouldn't have discovered sitting with an unlaced shoe.

I will note, with shoes you get what you pay for. A cheap $20 walmart special will wear out on you faster, and possibly be less supportive then a more pricey 60-70 pair. At any rate, you might find yourself replacing them less often. Peruse the clearance racks howver. You might find a good deal!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so far for you're really helpful replies specific brands in stores are particularly helpful cuz I don't know where to look other than the sneaker store at the mall for fancy-schmancy designer basketball shoes.

Whereabouts are you? I'm in Toronto, Canada; we have a chain called Running Room. They've got a few locations in the US, too, in Minnesota and Hawaii. They're trained to analyze your gait and make recommendations. Like a poster upthread, I've got pronation issues. I've been wearing Saucony Stabils, then Saucony Redeemers when the Stabil was discontinued, and recently Brooks Arial 18s. They ARE pricey, but they last longer and they're really fantastic for my feet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I thought this said snacks... I need better glasses...

Yes I agree with above. Getting fitted for shoes makes a huge difference.

My brain interpreted "sneaks" as "snacks" as well ;)

@justinejacksonm I have knee issues and like Asics. Currently wearing https://www.zappos.com/p/asics-gt-1000-6-black-black-silver/product/8873919/color/3764

However, since this is an important purchase, cost and convenience should not be your first consideration. Think of it as a professional and medical expense.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

Whereabouts are you? I'm in Toronto, Canada; we have a chain called Running Room. They've got a few locations in the US, too, in Minnesota and Hawaii. They're trained to analyze your gait and make recommendations. Like a poster upthread, I've got pronation issues. I've been wearing Saucony Stabils, then Saucony Redeemers when the Stabil was discontinued, and recently Brooks Arial 18s. They ARE pricey, but they last longer and they're really fantastic for my feet.

My mom got some like-new Brooks Ariel at a thrift store for @ $10. They are like walking on a cloud!

Note to anyone interested in this brand - their sizing runs small.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    For brands- It really depends on what fit you're looking for. The reality is you're just going to have to go to the store and start trying stuff on. But I'll try to steer you to some suggestions to start with.

Skecher's is probably my favorite brand. If you have average to flat arches they should do well. People with high arches never seemed to like them. I typically get 1 year out of them with constant wear.

Nike- I find they tend to run narrow. If you get your foot measured and find you're feet are on the narrow side, this brand might be a good one to start with. I found a lot of people with higher arches seemed to gravitate towards Nike's too.

New Balance- Good overall shoe brand. Long lasting, and there are really good about having special sizes like wide width.

More expensive brands worth mentioning:

Merrell's- I've never heard anything bad about them. I have a pair I got lucky and found on clearance for $40.00. Very comfy. and durable.

Under Armour- My husband really likes them, says they are comfortable.

Another thing to add- If you get your shoes and find that after wearing them, they aren't as supportive or cushy as you would like, a pair of replacement insoles can go along way to making it the perfect shoe. For being on your feet all day, look for a pair or either work, or athletic insoles. The gels and memory foams are nice to add extra cushion, but do little for additional support. The work and athletics are typically thicker and better suited for the impact of being on your feet all day.

Good Luck!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Do you notice a difference? I love Asics. Everyone’s feet are shaped differently though. I’ve found that with narrow heels I “walk out” of some brands because they fit too loosely in the heel. Asics and Nike do well for me.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find a style I like and then cruise around online to see if there’s overstock anywhere for cheap. I bought my most recent pair of Nikes off of Poshmark (lots of gently used clothing for cheap on this app). They were new in the box for half the price they would have been at the store. I am totally fine buying a $50 pair of shoes that I’ll wear for 6 months.

Looks like you already found a pair you like! Nice!