Calling all vegetarian/vegans!

Options

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    @jacalynrose11 I eat a lot of string cheese, cottage cheese, feta cheese and eggs for protein but am too thinking about cutting out dairy slowly. I've been bloated randomly so I may have to do an elimination diet to see what's causing it, maybe it's the dairy.

I just googled and see articles mentioning oats, almonds, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds & peanuts as high protein foods.

@janejellyroll @zeejane03 Which beans do you recommend? I use a lot of black beans but wanted to try something new.

I like them all-for salads and rice bowl they're all good. I've also started mixing large cans of baked beans (pinto), with small cans of black, kidney, northern etc (ratio 1 large can to 2 regular cans). This freezes easy (in quart freezer bags). Then defrosted, I microwave a serving for about 35 seconds, drizzle a bit of mustard in and eat as an easy side-the sauce from the baked beans is enough to cover all the beans :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about twelve years. I eat beans just about every day and I have tofu, tempeh, and seitan regularly too. That, combined with the protein in grains and vegetables, pretty much takes care of my protein needs. I have protein powder 1-2 times a week. I prefer an unflavored one that I can put into coffee or baked goods, right now I'm using Bob's Red Mill hemp protein powder, but I've also liked brown rice and pea protein powders (not really brand-loyal, I just grab whatever is cheapest generally).

I do like tofu! However, I've never even heard of tempeh or seitan! I'll look into those, thank you! :)

I'm new as well. Seitan is delicious and even my omni family doesn't know its not meat :) I make my own (easy and cheap). Just made tofu for the first time last night that tasted amazing (previously didn't press and it was nasty) so this will be on high rotation. I agree with the others about the overnight oats and adding protein powder. I make mine with soy milk and add hemp and chia seeds as well. I get about 80g protein a day.
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @zeejane03 ooo sounds yum. Thank you! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,639 Member
    Options
    @jacalynrose11 I eat a lot of string cheese, cottage cheese, feta cheese and eggs for protein but am too thinking about cutting out dairy slowly. I've been bloated randomly so I may have to do an elimination diet to see what's causing it, maybe it's the dairy.

I just googled and see articles mentioning oats, almonds, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds & peanuts as high protein foods.

@janejellyroll @zeejane03 Which beans do you recommend? I use a lot of black beans but wanted to try something new.

If calories are a factor, nuts and seeds generally are not a great way to get lots of protein, because they're so high in fats - more fats than protein, really. They can be useful in small ways, since we do need some fats, but one needs a pretty high calorie goal to fit in lots of them regularly.

I put nuts and seeds in my oatmeal today: 14g of walnuts is 92 calories, 2g of protein; 12g of ground flax seeds is 55 calories, 3g of protein; 10g of hemp hearts is 57 calories, 3g protein). Rolled oats (old fashioned, plain) are 30g for 114 calories, 4g protein. Peanut butter (natural) earlier today was 210 calories, 9g protein. Obviously, since I eat these, I consider them worthwhile in my overall nutritional picture for various reasons, but they're not profoundly calorie efficient as protein sources, and many people care about that.

I don't eat much quinoa (just taste preference), but it looks like it's around 220 calories for a cup (cooked) for 8.1g protein.

Obviously, getting 20g of protein from any of those foods is going to be kind of expensive, in calories, let alone 100g.

On the bean question: Lentils cook quickly from dry, and are around 116 calories for 100g (cooked), 9g protein. Lupini beans are kind of a pain to prep, but you can sometimes find them jarred/canned. The ones I get (in jars) are 100 calories for 11g protein, which is only (per label) about 44 beans (I weigh them, in practice).

Personally, I look for protein sources when possible that have at least 1g per 20 calories, but prefer 1g per 10 calories to consider them a good protein source (for large contributions to my protein goal).

If you eat processed foods, some things to consider are chickpea pasta (190 calories for 2oz. dry, which is 14g protein) or various soy pastas (varies, but usually around 200 calories for 2oz dry, 22g or so protein). Note that the soy pastas in particular don't usually have a normal pasta texture: They're kind of chewy. I don't like them with tomato-y or creamy sauces, but like them in pseudo-Asian preparations. I feel the same way about using black bean pasta, though I do use it in soups/stews as well as pseudo Asian - it's more soft (no "al dente" stage I've found) than chewy (and around 210 calories for 56g dry, 14g protein).

There's also peanut butter powder. Some have sugar, some don't. One that doesn't have sugar, that I've bought, has 47 calories per 2T (10g), and 5.3g protein. Nutritional yeast has about 20 calories per tablespoon and 3g protein (many are B12 fortified, which you'll want in some way if you're not eating animal products).

Of course, all the traditional soybean products - tofu, tempeh, natto - are high in protein, within reasonable calories for the amount of protein, as I think of "reasonable".
  • zeejane03
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

On the bean question: Lentils cook quickly from dry, and are around 116 calories for 100g (cooked), 9g protein. Lupini beans are kind of a pain to prep, but you can sometimes find them jarred/canned. The ones I get (in jars) are 100 calories for 11g protein, which is only (per label) about 44 beans (I weigh them, in practice).

I've never heard of Lupini beans, will look for them next time I'm at the store!
  • zeejane03
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @zeejane03 ooo sounds yum. Thank you! :)

I made a double batch this morning and almost took a picture-it looked so pretty lol.

2 large cans baked beans with a regular sized can of black, white kidney, red kidney and then northern beans. Mixed them together (I did not drain or rinse them, just dumped them in a mixing bowl), and filled quart sized freezer bags (used a 1/2 cup measuring scoop to fill the bags, to do serving sizes). Laid the bags flat and put them in a gallon bag (it was tight but I fit them all in one), and the bag is now in the freezer. laying flat. Each quart bag has around 5 servings, so I'll go through one a week. Beans can be frozen for a few months, or around a week in the fridge.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you eat processed foods, some things to consider are chickpea pasta (190 calories for 2oz. dry, which is 14g protein) or various soy pastas (varies, but usually around 200 calories for 2oz dry, 22g or so protein). Note that the soy pastas in particular don't usually have a normal pasta texture: They're kind of chewy. I don't like them with tomato-y or creamy sauces, but like them in pseudo-Asian preparations. I feel the same way about using black bean pasta, though I do use it in soups/stews as well as pseudo Asian - it's more soft (no "al dente" stage I've found) than chewy (and around 210 calories for 56g dry, 14g protein).

I personally am quite picky about pasta texture (I absolutely couldn't handle black bean pasta), but I've personally found that the chickpea pasta I tried was almost indistinguishable from "real" pasta. I use the Banza brand. It's got a nice amount of protein and the price is reasonable for an "alternative" pasta so if someone is interested, I think it is worth checking out. When I combine it with beans, red lentil sauce (tomato sauce with red lentils cooked in it), or veggie sausage, the resulting protein counts can be good for a plant-based pasta meal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,639 Member
    Options

I personally am quite picky about pasta texture (I absolutely couldn't handle black bean pasta), but I've personally found that the chickpea pasta I tried was almost indistinguishable from "real" pasta. I use the Banza brand. It's got a nice amount of protein and the price is reasonable for an "alternative" pasta so if someone is interested, I think it is worth checking out. When I combine it with beans, red lentil sauce (tomato sauce with red lentils cooked in it), or veggie sausage, the resulting protein counts can be good for a plant-based pasta meal.

Yes, I agree about the chickpea pasta texture, and should've said that. (Thanks, Jane!). I do find that it tastes a little . . . I dunno . . . flatter? . . . than regular wheat pasta, but nothing a flavorful sauce can't fix.

Someone here (amusedmonkey, maybe?) recommended trying pasta sauce made with tomato sauce, ground (basically powdered) dried mushrooms, and lentils, plus whatever seasonings. It was really tasty, rich, and filling! (I like a little hacho miso in it, too, for even more depth of flavor).

Which reminds me, mushrooms are a very calorie-efficient protein source, though incomplete in amino acids (can be complemented, of course). The problem is that they're so low in calories that it takes a lot to get much protein! Still, for 1 oz (somewhere between 1-2 large ones, 3-4 small) of regular white button mushrooms (raw), it's 7 calories for 1g protein.
  • iseewholewheat
    iseewholewheat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been a pescatarian for about 20 years. I eat fish about 2-3 times per week, but most of my protein comes from everything else that others have mentioned already (beans, beans, beans.) I also try to make sure that the vegetables I am eating are higher in protein or iron. While I love all fruit, it just doesn't pack the protein in one serving like legumes and some vegetables. Also I am vaguely dairy sensitive, but I don't seem to have any issues with Lactaid milk.
  • jacalynrose11
    jacalynrose11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I use a LOT of beans in my diet, usually for lunch. I eat lunch usually at school, or at work.

Something I truly love to do is make "sandwich filling" with garbanzo beans. I mash them with a potato masher and prepare it as I would have prepared a chicken salad using onions, celery, or any kind of veggies for color and texture diced really small, and adding mayo (I use vegenaise for taste preference), and seasonings. Super easy and super easy to take on the go and has lots of protein!

I make up a "taco" sandwich filler using black beans, taco seasonings, and texmex inspired ingredients too (corn, onions, avocado, tomato, quinoa, etc) and usually eat that as a wrap with plain greek yogurt and salsa. yum!

:blush:
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I use a LOT of beans in my diet, usually for lunch. I eat lunch usually at school, or at work.

Something I truly love to do is make "sandwich filling" with garbanzo beans. I mash them with a potato masher and prepare it as I would have prepared a chicken salad using onions, celery, or any kind of veggies for color and texture diced really small, and adding mayo (I use vegenaise for taste preference), and seasonings. Super easy and super easy to take on the go and has lots of protein!

I make up a "taco" sandwich filler using black beans, taco seasonings, and texmex inspired ingredients too (corn, onions, avocado, tomato, quinoa, etc) and usually eat that as a wrap with plain greek yogurt and salsa. yum!

I made a "taco sandwich" but with lentils. It was a lot like yours and it was delicious. I need to do that again!
  • zeejane03
    Options

This is brilliant! Thanks so much for the idea, going to try this :)
  • jacalynrose11
    Options
    I have yet to tell my family (other than my sister and fiance) that i am a vegetarian now. This is very new. I know my family will be weird about this as I grew up eating meat, and its a cultural norm for them. I don't really worry about how they will feel about it, but their judgements and opinions are just drama I haven't wanted to deal with yet. I just told my best friend yesterday, and she was extremely supportive, so it gave me hope for others in my life. How has everyone else dealt with this? Has anyone else struggled with family judgements? I know in my heart that what I am doing is for me, and my planet. That's all that matters, but I'm still skeptical to talk to my parents about it for some reason.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Didn't read through all of the comments, but peanut butter/nuts also have some protein, as well as healthy fats. Eggs, cheese. I'm also a pescatarian, though I eat mostly veggie, so occasionally will make something with tuna/tilapia/salmon. Also edamame!
  • jacalynrose11
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

Heres the recipe I started with! I just improvise it now, but I love it!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16715/vegetarian-chickpea-sandwich-filling/
  • zeejane03
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have yet to tell my family (other than my sister and fiance) that i am a vegetarian now. This is very new. I know my family will be weird about this as I grew up eating meat, and its a cultural norm for them. I don't really worry about how they will feel about it, but their judgements and opinions are just drama I haven't wanted to deal with yet. I just told my best friend yesterday, and she was extremely supportive, so it gave me hope for others in my life. How has everyone else dealt with this? Has anyone else struggled with family judgements? I know in my heart that what I am doing is for me, and my planet. That's all that matters, but I'm still skeptical to talk to my parents about it for some reason.

I switched over to a pescetarian woe at the beginning of the month and I haven't told anyone, my husband has no clue. But, he's used to my wacky food experiments so he wouldn't think twice about it lol. We do have steak dinner every Sunday with extended family and I've been waiting for someone to notice me passing on the steak, but there's so much food besides meat on the table that it's really not a big deal. If/when it comes up I'll tell them what I'm doing-they're also used to my 'quirky' eating habits though, so it won't be a big deal.

That's it for my inner circle, I have a few girlfriends but we don't usually do food orientated meet-ups so I don't know that it ever would come up. My sister's do their own stuff (WW etc), so one more food thing isn't going to cause too much of a stir. My 10 year old niece has been a vegetarian for two years now (her own choice, after connecting animals=food), and my sister and bil have been very supportive of her decision.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

Heres the recipe I started with! I just improvise it now, but I love it!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16715/vegetarian-chickpea-sandwich-filling/

I've made a similar recipe, but it had just a dash of ketchup mixed in with the mayo. It was really tasty. Since I don't like mayo very much, I think I liked it because it covered up the taste!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I made a "taco sandwich" but with lentils. It was a lot like yours and it was delicious. I need to do that again!

We do lentil nachos sometimes. I find it hard to limit myself with them, so they're a rare thing.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

We do lentil nachos sometimes. I find it hard to limit myself with them, so they're a rare thing.

Oh, that sounds good.
  • jacalynrose11
    Options

Do you have a recipe? That sounds really great