Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Ohhh....so many good little recipes when you type in lard macaroni and cheese.

https://centslessdeals.com/macaroni-cheese-secret-ingredient/

Now I want some. With bacon. Maybe a side of hot dog.

I'm 140 pounds, 5'7".

Is that okay to eat???????

You know what’s awesome? When you sautée the bacon first, and use the rendered fat for the roux for the cheese sauce.

I've done this.... sooo good!!!

I tried it on a whim the night I realized I was out of butter, but already had the other ingredients ready to go with no backup meal plan. I figured it couldn't do any harm, since fat is fat, and OMG it was fantastic.

I admit to using rendered bacon fat for just about anything that calls for butter...much more flavor.

I keep a jar of bacon fat next to the stove at all times. We use it very often.

Here's a li'l ol' lady reminiscence for you young'uns:

Loooong before the "obesity crisis", when I was a child (1950s), it was pretty standard for kitchen cannister sets - y'know, the ones that say "flour" "sugar" "salt" etc., on them, for storing staples - to include a cannister that said "grease". It would normally have a strainer inner lid. The idea was that you'd pour your rendered meat-fat into it through the strainer to strain out the chunky stuff, then you'd have a nice supply of cooking-grease right handy to use in other cooking.

Like I said, standard/common thing.

You can still buy individual jars/cannisters like this.

Forgive me for asking what's probably a dumb question, but I often hear about people saving & reusing cooking grease... is this with or without refrigeration?

Without, mostly, I believe, back in the day. Didn't have much refrigeration pre-REA in the sticks among the subsistence farmers, except the ice house, and that's too far from the cookstove to be handy. Then the habit persisted. Regular reheating is helpful. But I'm not expert - I was a towheaded tiny person in the 1950s.

Dunno about modern usage. I'm a veg.

Salt was the precursor to the ice for keeping foods safe to eat. Bacon was cured with salt.

So we're saying the salt content of bacon grease keeps it safe? I just can't wrap my head around the idea that grease with little bits of meat in it (even after straining) would be safe at room temp. No biggie though... don't plan on using it anyway :)

Actually it is the very low or zero water content. Think jerky.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,763 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    If you want to see someone who really gets into it, with a focus on food, check out https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson for colonial cooking. Think super geek, Colonial America style. My husband watches his channel all the time. It's a bit earlier than the pioneers, but pretty interesting! I draw the line at using a bunch of twigs as a whisk, though :lol:

Dude! I literally live an hour away from his store, and my whole family has an 1812 era outfit from Townsend’s because for a few years we volunteered at a festival requiring period dress. I love this channel!

Really? :lol: That's awesome! My husband so wants to visit his store.

Does he reenact? There are some big events in this area, like Feast of the Hunters Moon near Purdue University, Battle of Missinnewa, etc. The store is pretty small but completely legit with all the old timey stuff. You feel like you are in a time warp.

Oh I used to love going to the Feast when I was a grad student at Purdue! loved all the crafts and foods (they had the best cider I ever drank, the Boy Scouts heated it up in a cauldron over a fire, and clove-studded oranges floated in it). One of the pharmacology profs was a blacksmith. Although one exhibit, of dental tools, made me glad I live in THIS century.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

OMG so much fat and calories in that recipe (bacon grease, butter, lots of cheese, etc.) :s Not in my house!

Why not? Sounds delicious for every once in a while.

all this talk about it, guess what im going to make this weekend? LOL hubby and the boy will be super happy;

now ... what to have WITH it? lolol

and i store bacon grease and butter on the counter.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I keep my bacon grease in the fridge... I don't trust things left out. That's just me after taking a semester on food safety. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I keep my bacon grease in the fridge... I don't trust things left out. That's just me after taking a semester on food safety. 🤷🏼‍♀️

@Chef_Barbell I'm currently refrigerating bacon grease but not butter...am interested in knowing if there is a scientific reason why bacon grease would be less safe out than butter.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've always stored bacon grease in a jar by the stove. I use it pretty frequently, but even when I don't (like it sits out for a week or more without use), I've never had it go rancid. My mom and grandmother did this, too, and we mostly lived in the South (high temps in the summer, limited a/c because it was expensive) and it's never been a problem. I don't think I saw anyone use olive oil for cooking until I was an adult and started reading recipes on my own. It was always bacon fat or vegetable oil (like Crisco) at my house. FWIW, I was the only chubby one in the family, so it wasn't particularly contributing to weight gain.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@Chef_Barbell I'm currently refrigerating bacon grease but not butter...am interested in knowing if there is a scientific reason why bacon grease would be less safe out than butter.

No science other than 40-140 degree danger zone. I'm personally squeamish about leaving things out especially when I don't use it often.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I guess I am sort of alone in finding her show somewhat boring. She never seems to fix anything that I don't already know, could not figure out on my own, or have no interest in preparing.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ohhh....so many good little recipes when you type in lard macaroni and cheese.

https://centslessdeals.com/macaroni-cheese-secret-ingredient/

Now I want some. With bacon. Maybe a side of hot dog.

I'm 140 pounds, 5'7".

Is that okay to eat???????

You know what’s awesome? When you sautée the bacon first, and use the rendered fat for the roux for the cheese sauce.

I've done this.... sooo good!!!

I tried it on a whim the night I realized I was out of butter, but already had the other ingredients ready to go with no backup meal plan. I figured it couldn't do any harm, since fat is fat, and OMG it was fantastic.

I admit to using rendered bacon fat for just about anything that calls for butter...much more flavor.

I keep a jar of bacon fat next to the stove at all times. We use it very often.

Here's a li'l ol' lady reminiscence for you young'uns:

Loooong before the "obesity crisis", when I was a child (1950s), it was pretty standard for kitchen cannister sets - y'know, the ones that say "flour" "sugar" "salt" etc., on them, for storing staples - to include a cannister that said "grease". It would normally have a strainer inner lid. The idea was that you'd pour your rendered meat-fat into it through the strainer to strain out the chunky stuff, then you'd have a nice supply of cooking-grease right handy to use in other cooking.

Like I said, standard/common thing.

You can still buy individual jars/cannisters like this.

My mom used to have 3 of these in the fridge, one for bacon grease, one for vegetable oil, one for chicken grease. And then the Crisco can. She got rid of them all on doctor's orders.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I guess I am sort of alone in finding her show somewhat boring. She never seems to fix anything that I don't already know, could not figure out on my own, or have no interest in preparing.

Should I confess that although I have read this entire thread, I have no idea who she is, her blog, or her show? :p

:laugh: