Measuring

Options
Ok so in general I use my food scale to weigh things but for liquids and sauces I generally use level measuring spoons. Should I not do that?

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Measuring spoons and cups are fine for liquids. Although I use my scale for my coffee creamer because the scale's already out and then I don't have to wash a measuring spoon. :)
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options
    I also use them for peanut butter and bbq and ketchup and the like.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is extremely calorie-dense, you should use a scale and weight in grams for that because a slight variation can make a big difference. I weight BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, anything really thick or calorie-dense.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I tend not to worry that much about pb I use just 1 tablespoon when I use it. But it wouldn't hurt to measure to see how off it is :)

It's fun sometimes to see how close you are. Let us know!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I tend not to worry that much about pb I use just 1 tablespoon when I use it. But it wouldn't hurt to measure to see how off it is :)

If your scale's normally on the counter or close, I'd point out that quiksylver296's "jar on scale" method is quicker than using a separate measuring spoon, if just using it in a sandwich vs. a recipe (since peanut butter is sticky ;) ) - no spoon to wash, either (even with dishwasher, most people are going to rinse it . . . plus you lose that tiny amount of peanut butter ;););) ).

Personally, I weigh any liquid for which I can find a valid MFP food database entry, especially oily or sticky ones, because it's quicker and tidier. If it's for a recipe that gives quantities in volume measures, I might then use cups/spoons.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If your scale's normally on the counter or close, I'd point out that quiksylver296's "jar on scale" method is quicker than using a separate measuring spoon, if just using it in a sandwich vs. a recipe (since peanut butter is sticky ;) ) - no spoon to wash, either (even with dishwasher, most people are going to rinse it . . . plus you lose that tiny amount of peanut butter ;););) ).

Personally, I weigh any liquid for which I can find a valid MFP food database entry, especially oily or sticky ones, because it's quicker and tidier. If it's for a recipe that gives quantities in volume measures, I might then use cups/spoons.

+1 I avoid measuring cups as much as I possibly can. I don't like the dishwasher and prefer to hand wash so I have added incentive.

I remember when I used to eat most of my food off plates... now I eat most of it out of bowls.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I weigh more calorie dense liquids like dressings, oil, honey, etc. Some things like sugar free syrup, mustard, sugar free ketchup/bbq that are all 10 calories or less per serving I've gotten to where I can eyeball it. I weigh all solids, even prepackaged things.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Agreed! I've gotten so ridiculously good at guessing the weight of stuff and portioning out just the right amount. Peanut butter is particularly easy for me.

But ketchup.... My brain REFUSES to believe that two tablespoons is so little. I always overshoot by a ton.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »

Agreed! I've gotten so ridiculously good at guessing the weight of stuff and portioning out just the right amount. Peanut butter is particularly easy for me.

But ketchup.... My brain REFUSES to believe that two tablespoons is so little. I always overshoot by a ton.

Ketchup, like all vegetables, is meant to be eaten by the half-cup serving (minimum), if you ask me. Pity it's so calorie-dense. ;););)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Ketchup, like all vegetables, is meant to be eaten by the half-cup serving (minimum), if you ask me. Pity it's so calorie-dense. ;););)

Especially when I'm getting all that ketchup into my mouth by way of french fries :lol:
  • aj757
    aj757 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What kind of food scale does everyone use?? Post pics if u want to thanks
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless its a liquids (milk, oil, juice, etc) i use the scale in grams
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options

What? What's in your ketchup that makes it caloriedense? I find it refreshingly light compared to other condiments like mayo or hummus.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely weigh it. I was surprised that my English muffins--which the package says are 57 grams--are about 20-25 grams LESS in weight. So weighing can be a positive thing too ;)