Pioneer Woman

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I guess I am sort of alone in finding her show somewhat boring. She never seems to fix anything that I don't already know, could not figure out on my own, or have no interest in preparing.

Should I confess that although I have read this entire thread, I have no idea who she is, her blog, or her show? :p

Never seen it either, but in my defense I'm Canadian :)

Only food show I watch is Nailed It on Netflix (and it is frikken hilarious). Otherwise, just not really into them.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I guess I am sort of alone in finding her show somewhat boring. She never seems to fix anything that I don't already know, could not figure out on my own, or have no interest in preparing.

Should I confess that although I have read this entire thread, I have no idea who she is, her blog, or her show? :p

Only food show I watch is Nailed It on Netflix (and it is frikken hilarious). Otherwise, just not really into them.

That explains a lot.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options

Me too! On the other hand, I don't watch cooking shows because I also find them boring. Maybe because I am not interested in what they do (aka cooking).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Me too! On the other hand, I don't watch cooking shows because I also find them boring. Maybe because I am not interested in what they do (aka cooking).

That makes sense. I don't watch HGTV because I'm not interested in home improvement.

My TV almost always stays on the Food Network or the Cooking Channel. I love learning new techniques and things.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Same.

My contribution to the ongoing bacon grease conversation is that my mother always kept it in a coffee can in the refrigerator. She also kept the butter refrigerated. By preference. Because she liked eating it as cold slabs on top of everything. My grandmother kept butter out.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    This thread has been highly entertaining - thank you all for your humorous and interesting contributions!

When this show first came out I figured it was Food Network's replacement for Paula Deen. I could be wrong but it seemed to start shortly after the Paula Deen scandal. And anyone who watched her knew that everything she cooked was bathed in butter!

Are you talking about Paula Deen being racist or her just cooking with a ton of butter? I know Pioneer Woman got put on the air before news broke of Deen doing/saying various racist things. The Pioneer Woman show seemed like a reaction to the fact that Ree Drummond's blog was becoming increasingly more popular with one of Food Network's target demographics.

Both. Like I said, I could be wrong on the timeline, which apparently I am. My main point was simply that Paula cooked fat-laden things prior to this show so it's not like it's anything new. I never knew about the blog, either, prior to this thread so thanks for the clarification.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

That explains a lot.

You mean it explains why I'm so nice, witty and charming?????

Ditto. Fellow Canadian. <nods> Being nice is our national pastime. o:)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Ohhh....so many good little recipes when you type in lard macaroni and cheese.

https://centslessdeals.com/macaroni-cheese-secret-ingredient/

Now I want some. With bacon. Maybe a side of hot dog.

I'm 140 pounds, 5'7".

Is that okay to eat???????

You know what’s awesome? When you sautée the bacon first, and use the rendered fat for the roux for the cheese sauce.

I've done this.... sooo good!!!

I tried it on a whim the night I realized I was out of butter, but already had the other ingredients ready to go with no backup meal plan. I figured it couldn't do any harm, since fat is fat, and OMG it was fantastic.

I admit to using rendered bacon fat for just about anything that calls for butter...much more flavor.

I keep a jar of bacon fat next to the stove at all times. We use it very often.

Here's a li'l ol' lady reminiscence for you young'uns:

Loooong before the "obesity crisis", when I was a child (1950s), it was pretty standard for kitchen cannister sets - y'know, the ones that say "flour" "sugar" "salt" etc., on them, for storing staples - to include a cannister that said "grease". It would normally have a strainer inner lid. The idea was that you'd pour your rendered meat-fat into it through the strainer to strain out the chunky stuff, then you'd have a nice supply of cooking-grease right handy to use in other cooking.

Like I said, standard/common thing.

You can still buy individual jars/cannisters like this.

Forgive me for asking what's probably a dumb question, but I often hear about people saving & reusing cooking grease... is this with or without refrigeration?

Without, mostly, I believe, back in the day. Didn't have much refrigeration pre-REA in the sticks among the subsistence farmers, except the ice house, and that's too far from the cookstove to be handy. Then the habit persisted. Regular reheating is helpful. But I'm not expert - I was a towheaded tiny person in the 1950s.

Dunno about modern usage. I'm a veg.

Salt was the precursor to the ice for keeping foods safe to eat. Bacon was cured with salt.

So we're saying the salt content of bacon grease keeps it safe? I just can't wrap my head around the idea that grease with little bits of meat in it (even after straining) would be safe at room temp. No biggie though... don't plan on using it anyway :)

Google, “how is salami made”?

Not a chance! ;)

Honestly it's just cured meat. Think about the hundreds of types of sausage that are stored at room temperature. Plus things like jerky.

I wasn't taking issue with salami, just the invitation to investigate how it's made. I know it's probably not pretty ;)

It is rotted beef cooked in its own bacteria. Fermented.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    @suziecue25 I haven't watched The Pioneer Woman. But I do watch other shows with "heavy" cooking. And never make those recipes. I just like watching cooking shows lol.

Honestly I still wonder what you said that had people fly off the handle. If I saw a parent smoking inside their car with a kid inside I'll think something about it. How would that be smoke shaming the kid, I don't know.

Anyway MFP is very PC and not the place to vent about real (or fake TV) life. (although I still don't see what you said that was fat shaming)
    [...]

The situation here was someone thinking that a child's face looked bigger than she thought it should six years ago and concluding that pasta and cheese should be withheld from him as a result. Not only is the person making the observation without the ability to assist directly, the very forces of time are arrayed against anyone who wants to smack a bowl of mac and cheese out of tiny Bryce Drummond's hands as he is now almost a legal adult.

[...]

OK. I can understand that. Yeah makes sense.

Look at my posts...I never said mac and cheese should be withheld from the child.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

I'm 140 pounds, 5'7".

You know what’s awesome? When you sautée the bacon first, and use the rendered fat for the roux for the cheese sauce.

I tried it on a whim the night I realized I was out of butter, but already had the other ingredients ready to go with no backup meal plan. I figured it couldn't do any harm, since fat is fat, and OMG it was fantastic.

I admit to using rendered bacon fat for just about anything that calls for butter...much more flavor.

Loooong before the "obesity crisis", when I was a child (1950s), it was pretty standard for kitchen cannister sets - y'know, the ones that say "flour" "sugar" "salt" etc., on them, for storing staples - to include a cannister that said "grease". It would normally have a strainer inner lid. The idea was that you'd pour your rendered meat-fat into it through the strainer to strain out the chunky stuff, then you'd have a nice supply of cooking-grease right handy to use in other cooking.

Forgive me for asking what's probably a dumb question, but I often hear about people saving & reusing cooking grease... is this with or without refrigeration?

Without, mostly, I believe, back in the day. Didn't have much refrigeration pre-REA in the sticks among the subsistence farmers, except the ice house, and that's too far from the cookstove to be handy. Then the habit persisted. Regular reheating is helpful. But I'm not expert - I was a towheaded tiny person in the 1950s.

Salt was the precursor to the ice for keeping foods safe to eat. Bacon was cured with salt.

So we're saying the salt content of bacon grease keeps it safe? I just can't wrap my head around the idea that grease with little bits of meat in it (even after straining) would be safe at room temp. No biggie though... don't plan on using it anyway :)

Not a chance! ;)

Honestly it's just cured meat. Think about the hundreds of types of sausage that are stored at room temperature. Plus things like jerky.

I wasn't taking issue with salami, just the invitation to investigate how it's made. I know it's probably not pretty ;)

It is rotted beef cooked in its own bacteria. Fermented.

Yummmm!!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I'm 140 pounds, 5'7".

Not a chance! ;)

Having made sausage at home and see pictures of it made industrially, it's not that exciting. Far less exciting than seeing a cow being butchered ;)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Interesting. I don't watch them because I find them boring. In my case, it's partly because I am interested in cooking . . . so why waste time watching other people do it? (Such a slow way to learn anything new!)

<curmudgeon>

Modern life is weird to me: So much less of people doing things; so much more of people watching other people doing things. (Not much NEAT in that. ;) )

But high-calorie foods caused the obesity crisis, even though the high-calorie foods always existed? The fact that cable TV deregulation happened in 1972, with channels/availability burgeoning after that; commercial internet got rolling in the 1980s; and electronic gaming was coming to vast popularity over that same time: Pure coincidence.

So, now we have this Pioneer Woman person, we're reading her blog on the internet, we're watching her TV show where she cooks rich foods . . . and what makes sense to some people is to criticize her for cooking rich foods, and possibly for over-feeding her (quite healthy-looking) children?

WTFlippieDip?!?!

Modern life is weird. Get off my lawn. ;););)

</curmudgeon>

I'm the opposite... I learn things by watching them and then doing them. I like to know the science behind techniques and things. The "why" factor is big for me.

To each their own.