Why did I lose a lot 1st week and now ...,

Options
I lost 9.6 pounds the first week on calorie counting and eating healthier. Now my 2nd week weigh in I only lost 1.6 pounds. I’ve been eating really healthy drinking lots of water for almost 20 days and I only lost a little the 2nd week , I feel like giving up 🙄😫 I already ate a bag of chips 😠 I’m sorry if I sound immature but this sucks .

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    1.6lbs/in a week is TERRIFIC results. the most recommended weekly (and this only if you have a LOT to lose) is 2lb/week.

the big drop week was was likely mostly water weight.

weight loss is a long journey with ups and downs. stay the course. some weeks the scale won't budge much. some weeks it may appear higher (due to water fluctuations). this is all normal and you need to keep going.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Yeah, patience is not one of my virtues either. :)

Of course, we'd all like the weight to come off yesterday. Reality can be a real wet blanket sometimes.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    You likely didn't lose 9 lb of fat that first week. I can drop 4 lb in 48 hours when I first start dieting because it's all the food exiting my body, plus dropping bloat. So 1.5 lb in a week moving forward is probably more realistic.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    you lost water weight the first week.

not fat.

1.6 pounds per week is an awesome amount :)

This^

A 9.6 pound a week weight loss would be a 4,800 calorie deficit each day. Even if you took in zero calories, you would have needed several hours of intense exercise each day to reach 4,800 calories. It's water weight loss. But 1.6 pounds is excellent.....keep up the good work.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Yeah, patience is not one of my virtues either. :)

Of course, we'd all like the weight to come off yesterday. Reality can be a real wet blanket sometimes.

It might benefit you to find your success endorphins in the act of logging food and practicing good habits rather than the weight on the scale. Weight loss is a terribly slow process and while I'm a patient person, even my patience is tested is I focus only on scale weight. With good habits, you get immediate gratification from the act of doing it.

That's a really good way to look at it.

While patience is not something I have a lot of with myself, I actually have been in maintenance for quite a while and am just losing the last 5 pounds of some "pity" weight I put on dealing with some health issues. It's slow going, very slow - but that's the way it should work so I am not terribly concerned about how long it takes.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you have not already I would strongly suggest reading any of the threads in these two posts that apply to you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

I firmly believe that knowledge is one of the biggest factors in weight loss success. You have already been momentarily tripped up by something that is very common. Don't feel bad the same thing has tripped up countless other people and you aren't the first and won't be the last to start a thread about it.

Did you know that no matter how well you do eventually the scale is going to go up in weight and that it will happen fairly often? If not, it is time to read some of those threads because it will happen, it will be temporary, it is perfectly normal, and expecting it is FAR better than being caught off guard by it.

Do you already have a food scale?

Do you know that you can eat normal food while you lose weight and even have treats?

• ReadyForWeightLoss
    ReadyForWeightLoss Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you all 🙏