Unhealthy snacking

Options
I have 4 kids. 2 of them go to school. During the while they are gone I find myself snacking on their snacks for school lunches. I know it's from boredom. I try to stay busy but I also have a 3yo and a 2month old at home. I also live in Wisconsin where it is currently below 0° outside so I don't really want to take the little ones out if I don't have to. But anyway what are some good low calorie snacks. Or even tips on how not to snack throughout the day.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    change everyone to healthy snacks (fruit, veg, baked chips instead of regular, etc) and you remove the temptation.

or, make room in your calories for the snacks you want.

• Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I drink mio in my water, and stay out of the pantry. All day snacking lead to binges for me. So I just have to mentally stop. If I snack I'm a fan of celery with ranch and buffalo sauce.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I’ve been drinking a lot of hot tea to fill my tummy when I’m munchy but if after drinking a cup or 2 and I’m still hungry I’ll eat a little snack to tide me over. Blackberries are awesome, low calorie. Baby carrots with hummus, raspberries, Tuna packets, jerky, cantaloupe.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    tburgardt wrote: »
    change everyone to healthy snacks (fruit, veg, baked chips instead of regular, etc) and you remove the temptation.

And how would you go about changing an 8, 5, and 3 year olds to healthy snacks? They are already very picky about what they eat. Also it's rare that they get a ton of junk food. I usually get them animal crackers, cheese crackers, string cheese, and every few weeks I'll buy them the frosted animal crackers.

i have a 20 year old and 12 year old and theyve grown up eating fruits and veggies as snacks. my son (the 12 year old) will choose strawberries or grapes or watermelon over chips or crackers any day.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids. 2 of them go to school. During the while they are gone I find myself snacking on their snacks for school lunches. I know it's from boredom. I try to stay busy but I also have a 3yo and a 2month old at home. I also live in Wisconsin where it is currently below 0° outside so I don't really want to take the little ones out if I don't have to. But anyway what are some good low calorie snacks. Or even tips on how not to snack throughout the day.

Burgardt, I too was more of a snacker volume consumer than a proper meal serving eater, managing < 250 calories a pop, to sustain me throughout my active hours.

If you can muster it, protein-loaded snacks are more filling and depending on your eating plan, pick out your favourite 3 and snack-prep them, as you do for your children. For me personally, egg/chicken variations, garbanzo and mixed nuts worked well for me.

From Monday - Thursday, my sister and I as our Community Monitor-Mums, supervise Swotting/Prep-time Study, Homework & Assignment for elementary to high school students. The snack of choice, we prepare for the children always is some form of protein-loaded meat dense chili with fresh flour tortillas. What I love about it is, if I'm at all famished, it wouldn't hurt me, if I'd helped myself to a bowl serving, depending on my energy expenditure.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like these are unhealthy snacks at least not by my definition although I don't label much as unhealthy tbh. There is nothing wrong with snacking unless there is a negative consequence. Are you having a hard time staying within your calorie goal or are you having less satisfying main meals because of having less calories left?

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Low cal snacks for you could start with raw veggies and a low cal dip, moderate amount of fruit and plain yogurt, hard boiled eggs, small preportioned packs of nuts. You can Google "snacks under 100 cals" and get quite a list.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Super nanny gathers all of the snacks in a big bin and puts it up on a top shelf. The children get to pick one *one* snack set out for the morning break.

She is also a big fan of scheduled activities. Treasure hunt and hide and seek come to mind.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Discover what specifically is triggering your snacking habit. Not general trigger like "boredom" but specific trigger like "see string cheese in fridge". Do what you can to avoid the triggers like putting all the tempting snacks into a no-no drawer of the fridge then never open it except to prepare lunches or restock. One of my big snack triggers is food tv, so I just quit watching it and snack problem solved. If you can't avoid a snack habit trigger then force yourself to respond differently, like 40 lunges before a tiny snack, then 45 before the next small snack and so on.

We can learn to be masters of our habits, if we don't then we are slaves to them
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Try getting healthier options for just yourself. I know it is hard, but willpower, man. it helps me when I have healthier options available which I enjoy, that way it isn't as hard to pick it instead of the unhealthy things.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Buy snacks for yourself that you enjoy and can fit into your calorie goal for the day. One of my 18-month old's daily snacks is teddy grahams. I also enjoy them and will sometimes buy them for myself, but it is really easy for me to eat more than a serving. I find that I am less likely to snack on his teddy grahams when I have other snacks for myself that I really enjoy. I also try to mostly give him the same snacks that my husband and I eat ourselves (mandarins, oranges, raspberries, apple sauce, cheese, yogurt, crackers, etc.). That is both for helping him build the eating habits we want him to have and to help me with exactly the situation you are describing.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

And how would you go about changing an 8, 5, and 3 year olds to healthy snacks? They are already very picky about what they eat. Also it's rare that they get a ton of junk food. I usually get them animal crackers, cheese crackers, string cheese, and every few weeks I'll buy them the frosted animal crackers.

I'm a sahm who also home-schools my 3 kids so I'm around food all day in my house (the 4 of us eat all of our meals at home for the most part). I've organized my kitchen so that I have a cupboard of my foodstuff and my kids have their own cupboard with their foodstuff. I only go into their cupboard to restock it on grocery day, otherwise it's out of sight and out of mind.

How old are your school kids? Can they pack their own lunches or at least pick out their snacks and put them in their lunch boxes? When my kids went to a brick n' mortar school they were packing their lunches at 1st grade, with a bit of help from me.

Also, I don't label foods 'good', 'bad', 'junk' etc. I have specific weight and nutrition goals and eat the foods that help me accomplish these. I also incorporate snacks that fit in with these goals (I'm currently doing the DASH protocol and have things like nuts, wheat crackers, green smoothie ingredients etc). My kids don't have the same goals as I do, therefore their snacking options are different.

And then looking at your list-things like crackers, cheese etc are actually pretty decent options, so if these are the kinds of snacks you enjoy, why not just work them into your calorie targets? Things like animal crackers and fishy crackers are lower calorie options and you get quite a bit in a serving size.

eta: as a sidenote-I'm on the other side of the big lake from you and the weather we're having is nuts! We're breaking all sorts of snowfall/temperature records this week, yuck!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I'm a sahm who also home-schools my 3 kids so I'm around food all day in my house (the 4 of us eat all of our meals at home for the most part). I've organized my kitchen so that I have a cupboard of my foodstuff and my kids have their own cupboard with their foodstuff. I only go into their cupboard to restock it on grocery day, otherwise it's out of sight and out of mind.

How old are your school kids? Can they pack their own lunches or at least pick out their snacks and put them in their lunch boxes? When my kids went to a brick n' mortar school they were packing their lunches at 1st grade, with a bit of help from me.

Also, I don't label foods 'good', 'bad', 'junk' etc. I have specific weight and nutrition goals and eat the foods that help me accomplish these. I also incorporate snacks that fit in with these goals (I'm currently doing the DASH protocol and have things like nuts, wheat crackers, green smoothie ingredients etc). My kids don't have the same goals as I do, therefore their snacking options are different.

And then looking at your list-things like crackers, cheese etc are actually pretty decent options, so if these are the kinds of snacks you enjoy, why not just work them into your calorie targets? Things like animal crackers and fishy crackers are lower calorie options and you get quite a bit in a serving size.

eta: as a sidenote-I'm on the other side of the big lake from you and the weather we're having is nuts! We're breaking all sorts of snowfall/temperature records this week, yuck!

I'm in Chicago (so same weather system), and same. Also, the weather is supposed to be so cold starting tomorrow night that United sent me a message warning that my flight on Wednesday (business travel) is going to be a possible problem and offering to let me change for free!

Of course, earlier in the year I was saying we weren't really getting winter, just icy rain.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people do it when they're home all day. I'm on yet another snow day at home and just ate 3 pieces of pizza, half a sald, some chicken and banana oatmeal chocolate chip bars