Sugar - Let's talk about it

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I cut down on sugars my muscles don’t burn when rolling

That's an odd correlation.

My muscles don't "burn" when rolling (I assume you mean foam rolling).

I'm curious about this.

Not foam rolling
    Rolling jiujitsu

Interesting. It's been a long time since I've done that type of rolling, and I wasn't tracking foods then. I don't remember muscle "burn" but that could be my memory.

You never rolled and felt totally drained?
    Rolling halfway through an 8 minute round not know how you’ll make it the entire round??

Judo, not jujitsu. And I had youth on my side. Drained, maybe? Muscle burn, no.

Jiujitsu is a different animal
    When my diet is good, my stamina is great. When it’s not good with the sweets, my muscles feel like they’re on fire.

Huh. Interesting.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Seems like a sensible article, thanks for linking it.

IMO, it's important to eat a calorie-appropriate and overall healthful diet (the latter for health, not weight loss, although it may help with other things like energy, how sustainable the diet is, mood). You can do that while eating some added sugar, it's more a matter of balance and using good sense and being aware of what you are eating. I prefer to focus on getting in what I need and think that causes other things to basically take care of themselves (moderation), as you only have so many calories.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

IMO, it's important to eat a calorie-appropriate and overall healthful diet (the latter for health, not weight loss, although it may help with other things like energy, how sustainable the diet is, mood). You can do that while eating some added sugar, it's more a matter of balance and using good sense and being aware of what you are eating. I prefer to focus on getting in what I need and think that causes other things to basically take care of themselves (moderation), as you only have so many calories.

Thank you, this is what I was leaning towards. I do understand that some people may have restrictions that I don't have to contend with thankfully. Im thinking more about that portion of the population that uses the common "advice" of "sugar/fat = bad".
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've read more about sugar than I care to already, and healthline isn't generally a great resource, so I'm gonna pass on clicking the link.

I found that once I was accurately sticking to my calorie goal, and making sure I was getting enough protein, fiber, and fat, my sugar number just naturally fell into line. Every once and awhile it didn't, but not often.

Blood sugar spikes/insulin spikes are the way our bodies are intended to work, and "sugar" isn't the only type of food that causes them. Regardless, the problem is when one is on a roller coaster of sugary drinks/treats dominating your diet. The problem isn't sugar, it's too much sugar, all the time. Anyone counting calories who is doing that, won't be doing it for long, because they'll be starving and fatigued. Most of us here banging on about calories do care about nutrition too, and don't find putting some kind of hard limit on sugar is necessary.

What you said is basically what's stated in the article.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Nope. ;)

I don't even track my sugar. No medical need to. I switched my sugar tracker out for fiber a long time ago. (And I just switched my fiber out for potassium about a month ago, for reasons related to my powerlifting training.)

This is me. This whole sugar thing was like an infection when I first started reading the forums here in MFP.
    I switched to fiber too.

My sugar report... I did eat cake (big slices :tongue:) three nights in a row, but not even worrying about sugar its doesn't look that bad. Keep in mind the sugar or any other nutrient in the foods I use may not be 100% accurate.

ztbzp7lxojnd.png

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've read more about sugar than I care to already, and healthline isn't generally a great resource, so I'm gonna pass on clicking the link.

I found that once I was accurately sticking to my calorie goal, and making sure I was getting enough protein, fiber, and fat, my sugar number just naturally fell into line. Every once and awhile it didn't, but not often.

Blood sugar spikes/insulin spikes are the way our bodies are intended to work, and "sugar" isn't the only type of food that causes them. Regardless, the problem is when one is on a roller coaster of sugary drinks/treats dominating your diet. The problem isn't sugar, it's too much sugar, all the time. Anyone counting calories who is doing that, won't be doing it for long, because they'll be starving and fatigued. Most of us here banging on about calories do care about nutrition too, and don't find putting some kind of hard limit on sugar is necessary.

What you said is basically what's stated in the article.

Awesome :lol:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options

I'm kind of liking Healthline in general. They have balanced and thoughtful articles on just about everything I've read so far. I've read a lot of their articles...I keep waiting to find one that's more tilted toward an agenda, but so far so good.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    Apparently Kimny disagrees, but oh well. Can't win 'em all.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Apparently Kimny disagrees, but oh well. Can't win 'em all.

Sorry. Maybe they've improved since I first ran across them, it's been awhile! I will consider your endorsement when I encounter them next time :smiley:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I'm kind of liking Healthline in general. They have balanced and thoughtful articles on just about everything I've read so far. I've read a lot of their articles...I keep waiting to find one that's more tilted toward an agenda, but so far so good.

Have they backed off from reusing most of their articles from Authority Nutrition, then? When they first appeared on my radar they seemed to be a repacking of AN without the baggage of a reputation. I haven't been keen to give them my click traffic since then.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Any one else get a kick out of the tone of https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/sugar-facts-scientific being "Sugar isn't scary" and then the next article offered is titled "Healthline Survey Reveals Most Americans Know About the Dangers of Sugar, But Don’t Know What to Do About It"?

Fair and Balanced! :D You can tell I've had too many political discussions lol.

I didn't even notice that one to be honest. On the one hand they (Heathline) are printing each side of the story, on the other ti could leave readers confused as to which way they ough to lean.

Personally, I believe that individual experience counts for something, so I'll roll with the less "alarmist" article. Thanks for pointing that out though. :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Up next on healthline... when you quit breathing you die... lol
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Any one else get a kick out of the tone of https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/sugar-facts-scientific being "Sugar isn't scary" and then the next article offered is titled "Healthline Survey Reveals Most Americans Know About the Dangers of Sugar, But Don’t Know What to Do About It"?

The headline is click-baity, but it seems to agree with the first article.

From the "Dangers of Sugar" article:
    "The key to a happy and healthy body is giving your body what it needs. Replacing processed sugars with more healthful natural sources to satiate and replace physical cravings is the first step, along with finding ways to reduce our emotional triggers. "

They speak sense. I think a lot of these articles are using buzzwords to lure you in, but it doesn't seem like they're vilifying all forms of sugar. Mainly warning about practicing moderation.

I used to drink approximately a soda and a half a day, and boooooy did I feel so much better when I cut that crap out of my daily diet. I feel noticeably better when I'm cutting down on the added sugars, but I am no longer denying myself the occasional treat. As with anything-- practice moderation. I hated hearing that, but now that I've been drinking mostly unsweetened jasmine green tea as my morning warm beverage daily for the past few months or so, I feel SO much better throughout the day than when I have an added-sugar-laden coffee in the morning, or a soda in the afternoon or evening.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    When I cut down on sugars my muscles don’t burn when rolling

That's an odd correlation.

My muscles don't "burn" when rolling (I assume you mean foam rolling).

I'm curious about this.

Not foam rolling
    Rolling jiujitsu

Interesting. It's been a long time since I've done that type of rolling, and I wasn't tracking foods then. I don't remember muscle "burn" but that could be my memory.

If there's such an effect, I'd be suspicious that it's more about whatever was added (to equalize calories, or provide adequate fueling), than about cutting sugars per se.

Just a guess, though. I've done intense endurance activities (and MA, though not JJ), and decent nutrition is helpful. I've never noticed that sugar was relevant, as a factor in itself (other than possibly for fueling truly long endurance), but everybody's different.