Appetite Suppressants

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Well... liraglutide works... especially when in combo with topomax and phentermine..
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Racquel1 wrote: »
    thanks for all your comments guys, they have been really helpful, I have never taken appetite suppressants but recently have seen so much of this being advertised it made me question as to whether this is something to try but it seems like these suppressants are just a waste of money so I will stick to the healthy eating and exercise.

You got it! Find out what food satisfies you and eat it in a way that keeps you in a calorie deficit. Best appetite suppressant is being satisfied with your meals.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    jessetfan wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    jessetfan wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Caffeine suppresses appetite for some. All the other crap is, well, crap.

I wish this were true for me. Caffeine makes me jittery, which my brain interprets as "low blood sugar, eat now."

I have had some success with making sure I get enough protein and fat. I don't actively restrict my carbs, but they tend to land somewhere around 150 when I'm hitting the other macros.

I have a similar issue if I have caffeine on an empty stomach.

Higher protein helps curb my appetite as does cardio. Lifting makes me want to eat everything.

Lifting and swimming put my appetite through the roof. But such a great workout.

I'm the opposite, unless I'm careful to make sure I eat swimming kills my appetite for hours.

I'm a little jealous of that. :smile:

It can be really nice, but on super heavy swim days if I don't eat I am liable to pass out, and I'm very anti passing out.

Especially while swimming. ;)
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I take victoza injections. It was prescribed by my dr. I have tried lots of different over the counter stuff none that worked. But with the victoza It not only gives me satiety but it took away my sugar craveings.

This sounds quite similar to the effects I've had from quitting sugar. Except, you know, I had terrible cravings the first few days while I initially kicked the sugar. But still, I have also found my sugar cravings gone and am actually able to eat a normal portion and be satisfied. Up until now I had also toyed with the idea of looking into appetite suppressants but at the moment I'm not feeling the need to go down that road.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    andezz99 wrote: »
    Oh back in the day Ephedrine was great for this but as we all know, misuse can lead to problems. I am older and wiser now and I would not focus on what you can take to suppress your appetite but focus on what you eat so you are not hungry to begin with. You can eat a whole lot of broccoli for few calories and it will fill you up. You can have a bag of potato chips and it will probably be 3 times the calories and will leave you hungry. Add vegetables to your diet, even at breakfast. I was never big on vegetables but I forced my self to fill 1/2 my plate with them at every meal and I at fewer calories, was less hungry and had more energy.

I second the encouragement to focus not on appetite suppressants but on sleep, exercise, food, and moderation and mindful methods. Having no appetite is not a bed of roses.

I wanted to emphasize the sleep part. Google ghrelin, leptin and sleep. I’m absolutely ravenous when I’m short on sleep. No amount of willpower will match the urge to eat. Truly, getting adequate sleep prevents binges.

This is absolutely true! Last year around the time my daughter was due to give birth I was only getting about 4 hours of choppy sleep for 2 months straight, I would eat,eat,eat mindlessly just to try and get some energy and be eating without even realizing it,,was an awful time :(
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Wrong. Too many calories cause obesity. Cool, it works for you.

I'm morbidly obese, how about you? What's your opinion on the subject of hunger control? And who said anything about consuming more calories?

• Howl_Of_Solace
    Howl_Of_Solace Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ☕ Coffee! Strong coffee :smiley:
    I usually have one cup a day but put in 3 heaped tea spoons, splash of milk and a spoonful of sugar and I don't feel hungry at all until late afternoon. Caffeine suppresses my appetite really well.
  • Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Green tea with lemon juice. I don't know how it works but I I don't feel like eating anything for good 2 hours. This is how I make it.

Boil about 280- 300ml of water. Wait 5 mins for it too cool down a bit. Pour it over 2 teabags of green tea. Cover and let it sit for 7-8 minutes (don't forget to squeeze the tea bags dry in the cup before discarding them). Add about 20ml of freshly squeezed lemon juice and drink.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Hot tea or a low-calorie broth based soup usually satisfies my appetite for an hour or two.

High fiber foods will fill you up with little calories. For example: cut up vegetables, a piece of fruit, 1/2 cup beans, oatmeal, air popped popcorn (I like mine with a hint of curry powder).

Eating a little more protein with meals helps to curb my hunger as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    corrarjo wrote: »
    andezz99 wrote: »
    ...I am older and wiser now and I would not focus on what you can take to suppress your appetite but focus on what you eat so you are not hungry to begin with. You can eat a whole lot of broccoli for few calories and it will fill you up. You can have a bag of potato chips and it will probably be 3 times the calories and will leave you hungry...
    I take victoza injections. It was prescribed by my dr. I have tried lots of different over the counter stuff none that worked. But with the victoza It not only gives me satiety but it took away my sugar craveings.

This sounds quite similar to the effects I've had from quitting sugar. Except, you know, I had terrible cravings the first few days while I initially kicked the sugar. But still, I have also found my sugar cravings gone and am actually able to eat a normal portion and be satisfied. Up until now I had also toyed with the idea of looking into appetite suppressants but at the moment I'm not feeling the need to go down that road.

A suggestion. Examine what you eat. If you consume too much sugar (processed or otherwise) you may be experiencing sugar highs and lows. Sugar doesn't last long in your blood stream. When it's depleted the relevant hormones tell your brain it needs more sugar and you want to eat, again. You can get enough sugar from fruits and vegetables, in moderation. These digest slower and subsequently release sugar slower into you blood stream and your body has time to assimilate it without causing a sugar crash. This may reduce or eliminate your hunger and cravings. It's working for me now. It may work for you.

Yes, I get sugar crashes from apple juice, but not apples.

I don't find apples alone especially filling, but I do when paired with cheese. And this satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    No way. We're meant to have appetites.
  • jrose6197
    jrose6197 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Water is the best appetite suppressant for me, If I make sure I get my 8-10 glasses in I find i’m way less likely to snack and get full faster when I forget to my water I’m eating more and craving sugar.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Anything you truly believe will suppress your appetite will suppress your appetite. (And it's not necessarily just "psychological".)

To the individual subject, this isn't particuarly useful information: Most of us probably can't deceive ourselves into believing random things intentionally.

To the scamsters selling miracle appetite suppressants, this "belief factor" (placebo effect) is extremely, extremely useful.

;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Anything you truly believe will suppress your appetite will suppress your appetite. (And it's not necessarily just "psycological".)

To the individual subject, this isn't particuarly useful information: Most of us probably can't deceive ourselves into believing random things intentionally.

To the scamsters selling miracle appetite suppressants, this "belief factor" (placebo effect) is extremely, extremely useful.

;)

Hmm, if I can successfully suppress the urge to get up and pee in the middle of the night, maybe I can talk some sense into my stomach as well :lol:
  • StephCain1990
    StephCain1990 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drinking tea and (probably more weirdly) having hot baths tend to curb my appetite. I wouldn't bother with over the counter diet/appetite suppressing pills