Urge to binge

Options
For a while i have suffered with binge eating , where i ate everything high caloric and kept eating till i couldn’t breathe this was a really bad habit i had. For the past 50 days i have been healthier following a 1,300 calorie diet with excercise , but sometimes i have an urge to binge especially when i am home with nothing to do. Can this urge to binge or my constant appetite change after months and months of portion control and eating better ? I don’t always wanna have a huge hunger even after i eat meals or always want to binge eat everything.

Replies

• Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1300 calories may be too low for you. How tall are you and how many pounds away from your goal weight are you?

Under eating can lead to binging.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

Also, what percentage of the calories you earned from exercise are you eating back?

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I am 184 and 5’5 right now and i try to eat half of my excercise calories back as some people say the excercise calories given can be wrong sometimes. But even after i have a full plate of a big meal i tend to get hungry , i think it’s because i am so use to always constantly eating it’s weird to eat less through out the day so my concern was can my eating habit now become my life style in a year. Can eating less lower my appetite over time ?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    ashsabiha wrote: »
    1300 calories may be too low for you. How tall are you and how many pounds away from your goal weight are you?

Also, what percentage of the calories you earned from exercise are you eating back?

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I am 184 and 5’5 right now and i try to eat half of my excercise calories back as some people say the excercise calories given can be wrong sometimes. But even after i have a full plate of a big meal i tend to get hungry , i think it’s because i am so use to always constantly eating it’s weird to eat less through out the day so my concern was can my eating habit now become my life style in a year. Can eating less lower my appetite over time ?

In general, yes, eating less can lower your appetite over time. But there are a lot of qualifiers to that :)

For example, your big meals may not be filling for you. I find meals with about 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein really filling, but others are filled by very low carbs and high fat (keto). Others are filled by more carbs. Keep an eye on your meals and note the macros of ones that fill you and ones that don't, and look for patterns.

Also, perhaps you like a little sweet after a meal and that's what you find missing. This happens to me sometimes and I can often satisfy it with 50 calories of chocolate chips or some fruit.

Furthermore, 1300 calories may create too aggressive a deficit for you. Better to lose more slowly and not have to white knuckle it than risk going off the wagon and never getting back on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

Possibly changing your food choices, or which macronutrients you emphasize (especially protein or fats, for many people) will help you feel more satiated. Or, changing timin of eating: What time you eat your meals, which is the biggest, whether/when you have snacks, etc.

However, it sounds like the problem may be more like habit, or boredom. If that's true, some new habit that's a distraction may be helpful. Do a little mild exercise (take a walk, do some yoga, whatever). Take a bubblebath and relax. Take up meditation (with an app or something like http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/). If you're religious, pray or do religious meditation. Get a new hobby, or revive an old one: Hobbies that require clean hands (like needlework, sketching, playing a musical instrument, etc.) or create dirty hands (like gardening, painting, carpentry, etc.) are especially good, because the hand-washing issue is disruptive to snacking.

Your body will adapt over time, but you need to be an active participant in working out the details, sometimes.

Best wishes!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Are you depriving and denying yourself? This was one of the biggest mistakes I made in the past and lead to constant failed attempts and binging.

I would decide to lose weight and would immediately cut out entire foods that I deemed as 'bad' and for a bit of time, while the willpower lasted I was able to deny and deprive myself of those foods I enjoyed until that didn't work anymore and I'd 'break' and go crazy making up for lost time.

This time I have approached things a bit differently. I now indulge my cravings for 'bad' stuff but in a controlled way. Having a couple of funsize chocolates worked into my calorie goal means I don't ever feel like I'm depriving myself and consequently I never reach that breaking point where I lose control.

That's not to say that I don't have the odd high-cal day. That's always gonna happen but the difference is they don't make me guilty, they're relatively few and far between and they're not out of control mindless gorging.
  • Ashlove5
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Possibly changing your food choices, or which macronutrients you emphasize (especially protein or fats, for many people) will help you feel more satiated. Or, changing timin of eating: What time you eat your meals, which is the biggest, whether/when you have snacks, etc.

However, it sounds like the problem may be more like habit, or boredom. If that's true, some new habit that's a distraction may be helpful. Do a little mild exercise (take a walk, do some yoga, whatever). Take a bubblebath and relax. Take up meditation (with an app or something like http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/). If you're religious, pray or do religious meditation. Get a new hobby, or revive an old one: Hobbies that require clean hands (like needlework, sketching, playing a musical instrument, etc.) or create dirty hands (like gardening, painting, carpentry, etc.) are especially good, because the hand-washing issue is disruptive to snacking.

Your body will adapt over time, but you need to be an active participant in working out the details, sometimes.

Best wishes!
    Yah i would classify it more of a boredom eating but you are right keeping busy does take your mind off it !

• Ashlove5
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Are you depriving and denying yourself? This was one of the biggest mistakes I made in the past and lead to constant failed attempts and binging.

I would decide to lose weight and would immediately cut out entire foods that I deemed as 'bad' and for a bit of time, while the willpower lasted I was able to deny and deprive myself of those foods I enjoyed until that didn't work anymore and I'd 'break' and go crazy making up for lost time.

This time I have approached things a bit differently. I now indulge my cravings for 'bad' stuff but in a controlled way. Having a couple of funsize chocolates worked into my calorie goal means I don't ever feel like I'm depriving myself and consequently I never reach that breaking point where I lose control.

That's not to say that I don't have the odd high-cal day. That's always gonna happen but the difference is they don't make me guilty, they're relatively few and far between and they're not out of control mindless gorging.

I am slowly working towards controlling portions and having a few “treats” through out the day because i did make the same mistake as you before and gave up many times but this time i really want to make this life change. Which concerns me if my diet now will switch my appetite for the better because eating when your bored can be a bad habit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »

I am slowly working towards controlling portions and having a few “treats” through out the day because i did make the same mistake as you before and gave up many times but this time i really want to make this life change. Which concerns me if my diet now will switch my appetite for the better because eating when your bored can be a bad habit.

Work at changing your habits for the better, and let your appetite do whatever it does (stop focusing on it, if you are). Waiting for your appetite to magically change things, while paying attention to your appetite, is likely to prolong the problem. Work on some new habits, actively.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    "Eating when bored" seriously afflicted me, too, along with "Eating when sitting in front of the tv". My solution was to hop on a cardio exercise machine I have near the tv and work through the show. That usually knocks the snacking urge down.
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had trouble for years with binge eating and all my life with constantly being hungry no matter how full I should be. Recently I cut sugar out of my diet around the beginning of the year because every time I have fallen off of my diet over the last decade it has been after a period of heavy candy consumption. Since getting over the initial hump of cravings and mood swings the first few days I have found myself able to be satisfied with normal portions and am at present losing weight without even tracking my calories. (Bear in mind that I am over 400 lbs and that because of that it is very easy to eat at a deficit, so your results and my future results may require more strictness. I mostly mentioned it just to highlight the difference I have been feeling)

The only other things I have changed are trying to eat more fruit and veggies (which was difficult before because of the intense cravings I had had for sugary, calorie dense foods that left healthier options feeling hollow and unsatisfying) and eating slowly and mindfully to allow myself to feel the fullness in my stomach before I am painfully stuffed (I had tried mindful eating before but had been unable to stick to it because of the constant feeling that I couldn't shovel food in fast enough to satisfy my cravings)

I don't know if you would have the same results because of course everyone is different, but it has helped me so much. The few sweets I have any more are sugar free or no sugar added. I don't drink any regular soda or fruit juices.

Anyway, best of luck and congrats on sticking with it so far despite the cravings.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have been doing well for about a year and a half, losing weight. Eating healthier. So even though I can have back to back days of not binging, I can easily go off and binge for no reason at all or I can't figure out why I couldn't stop. Sometimes I noticed I overate, not a binge though. And sometimes I have gone back to binging. So I think that, for me, I will always have to be so careful, always watch what I eat because one extra bite of something can make me feel like I was "bad" and then let it just ruin my whole day, or days or weeks or months. Sometimes in the last year and a half I was able to have a binge and then get back to eating healthy the next day but then another time it took me 2 months to get back. It's a sad cycle and just keep on trying to figure this all out.
  • Ashlove5
    Options
    I've had trouble for years with binge eating and all my life with constantly being hungry no matter how full I should be. Recently I cut sugar out of my diet around the beginning of the year because every time I have fallen off of my diet over the last decade it has been after a period of heavy candy consumption. Since getting over the initial hump of cravings and mood swings the first few days I have found myself able to be satisfied with normal portions and am at present losing weight without even tracking my calories. (Bear in mind that I am over 400 lbs and that because of that it is very easy to eat at a deficit, so your results and my future results may require more strictness. I mostly mentioned it just to highlight the difference I have been feeling)

The only other things I have changed are trying to eat more fruit and veggies (which was difficult before because of the intense cravings I had had for sugary, calorie dense foods that left healthier options feeling hollow and unsatisfying) and eating slowly and mindfully to allow myself to feel the fullness in my stomach before I am painfully stuffed (I had tried mindful eating before but had been unable to stick to it because of the constant feeling that I couldn't shovel food in fast enough to satisfy my cravings)

I don't know if you would have the same results because of course everyone is different, but it has helped me so much. The few sweets I have any more are sugar free or no sugar added. I don't drink any regular soda or fruit juices.

Anyway, best of luck and congrats on sticking with it so far despite the cravings.
    Congrats on your success !!

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I binge when I'm bored. I just become overwhelmed by a painful, insatiable hunger.

Solution? Go and do something absorbing. Out for a walk, play a computer game, whatever - and those irresistable, un-willpowerable cravings just die.