Your vacations this year?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
Oh gosh, I finally live near a proper international airport again! This year will be brilliant, plus I'll have 35 days vacation plus public holidays. So far 16 days are planned <3

2 nights in Belgium to see a band play that I dearly love and to visit museums in Brugges and Ghent

2.5 weeks on Cyprus in August/September, visiting historical sites, hiking, and looking at some amazing geology

6 days in Lebanon in October, lots of history, archaeology and landscape

And not booked yet as I'm not sure if I'll be able to get time off then.. but I'm thinking of spending a few days on Aaland sometime in May <3

What's your plans for this year? What kind of vacations do you like?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I mostly travel within the United States (where I live) and only get three weeks of paid vacation per year. So we take a lot of shorter weekend trips throughout the year...we live in the Midwest and are willing to venture pretty far on our short trips, whether driving or flying. As for longer trips, I usually like to use 1-2 weeks for mountain trips to hike & sight-see, generally in National Parks in the western U.S. My husband and I try to choose a new-to-us destinaton for one week also...we have considered cities in North Carolina, Louisiana so far but no plans set in stone yet for this year. Last year we went to Michigan, Oregon, and Utah on our trips. We really like active vacations so tend to take them in spring & autumn.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We are going to Florida from Calif. sometime this year, Maybe spring or fall.
    We also will celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary in May with a trip up the coast of Calif.
    It has been a LONG time since we took a vacation. I think 1 1/2 years.
    I have almost 30 days of Paid Time Off accumulated and we also have some airline miles.
    Look forward to time away.

I like vacations that are relaxing but also have some interesting things to see, especially historical places. I love the East Coast. I would like to go to New York City sometime. It is one place on the East Coast I have not been to but would like to visit. I would also like to visit Ireland and/or Scotland sometime.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    We drive for vacations. This year we'll drive to OKC for a few days and see what they've got. Next year, NOLA.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    We drive for vacations. This year we'll drive to OKC for a few days and see what they've got. Next year, NOLA.

I have to recommend the National Cowboy & Western Museum in OKC. I thought it would be "not my thing" but it was one of the best museums I've visited.

Also, if anyone in your party enjoys banh mi or Vietnamese coffee, check out Lee's Sandwiches. Most of their locations are in California but their OKC spot is excellent.
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I’m right in the middle of the U.S. and plan to take my boys on our usual road trips to St. Louis and OKC this summer and who knows where else we’ll go on a whim. Our road trips are generally soccer related and Minneapolis, Louisville, Nashville, Dallas and Cincinnati are all in the running of possibilities for our teams’ upcoming seasons.

I spent a few days in Chicago earlier this month and hope to be able to make it to DC, Philly, and San Francisco as well as back to Chicago all within the next 7-8 months, but that’s dependent on my (somewhat unpredictable) hours at work/paycheck and what I’m able to save enough to do.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I like warm places. This year I am going to Hawaii, Costa Rica, and Europe.
  • Beaster_Bunny
    Beaster_Bunny Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Not set in stone yet, but Phoenix, Nebraska, Toronto (though is going home for a week really a vacation?)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I like warm places. This year I am going to Hawaii, Costa Rica, and Europe.

Nice! Where to in Europe?
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    What is this............vacation of which you speak?

Considering some short road trips to Oklahoma, Illinois, and maybe Colorado.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Nothing too exciting. San Francisco and Birmingham, AL both for weddings. Who gets married in Alabama in the middle of the summer :(

People who live in Alabama?
    But seriously if you can stand the heat and humidity, Alabama is really pretty, especially in summer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not planning anything big this year since we're having a pool built and will have to settle down on spending. We might go to Connecticut in August to see my SIL and BIL and the niece and nephew, but we'll see. I'm also really busy in August and during the summer in general so summer vacations don't happen often...we usually take our vacation over winter or spring break.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    I'm hoping to go to Banff! My sister lives near by so it will make a great vacation :)
  • JaelynneH
    JaelynneH Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are going to the Bahamas with my parents next January (so technically next year, but within a year's time). It'll be my first time ever seeing the ocean and I'm so excited 😍
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    We are remodeling and if/where we go will depend on if/when we get this remodel finished.
    We always go skiing for 3-4 days in West Virginia over spring break so there's always that. Otherwise we are within driving distance to several nice beaches so I'm hoping that happens this summer because I'd much rather do beaches than snow skiing but kids and DH like the snow skiing and we don't see a whole lot of snow otherwise where I live.